How I get to owning a porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Teaj
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I get to owning a porsche 911

Hey Porsche lovers!
I'm a teen car-obsessed guy who has loved Porsches since I was like 5 and I aspire to own one when I grow up. I've pretty much always been a straight As student and I would like to know what kind of career people generally have that allows them to afford a 911. As in have you guys observed any general trend of the type of jobs 911 owners have?
I guess this is pretty important to me as I will be going to college in 2 about years and I've got no idea what kind of job I should be aspiring towards to afford my dream car: a 911 Turbo

Thanks a lot guys!
-Teaj
Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great idea to choose your college, career, and life based off of a single car you want now. I support this decision.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Generally speaking, figure out what you enjoy doing and are good at and go from there. Aspiring to be an investment banker when your heart tells you to be a ballerina will only lead to tears. Work hard in school, go to a good university and get a good job in something sales oriented is a good start. Alternatively, start your own business if you see a niche that you would be good at.
Either way, there's a reason most on this board are older. New Porsches come after homes, school retirement savings etc. they are a stupid luxury.
That being said, if you are 15, it's possible to get into a used porsche sometime in your early twenties if you start working and saving now.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 387 Likes on 165 Posts

Go to school for something you love not because it could possibly afford you a 911.

I didn't buy my first 911 until I was in my 30's so hate to say it kid you could be in for a long wait. Its not a bad thing as I worked my way up from my mom's 1985 Honda Civic semi-automatic transmission, choke pulling, reliable super car that it was! From there on I owned Honda CRX's, Acura Integra's, the odd truck, etc. until I was able to complete University. I worked two jobs while in University then ended up marrying young at 24, married for 5 years, moved to Dubai then abruptly became divorced. Landed an incredible job out of my sheer determination to cold call Dubai project management firms then began to play with exotics like the NSX (owned 3), a few 911's all while dating and ended up with my current wife and now kids. I spent a total of 9 years in Dubai when the original plan was 1 or 2 years max.

My point is that your life is only at the 15-year old point and you certainly have loads of experiences and life ahead. I've always been a car nut and always will (that never leaves us) but don't be in a rush and don't prevent yourself from experiencing the world or other things just to afford a car payment on a 911.

Now I'm 38 and finishing my MBA (thesis due in 2 months) and you never know what occurs once you obtain a great education and market yourself properly.

Good luck with school and remember to study what you love.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

It's all about compromises.

Some drink, some smoke, some my even do some not so prescriptive medications, some even think they need to repopulate the world.

I live in a tent and eat roman noodles.

But seriously I worked up to it. 5 VW, 5 Audi's and now my 1st P car.

Had 2 lawn care clients at the early age of 10, set up band equipment for some wedding singers age of 15-18, flipped burgers through collage.

Currently: Health and Safety Manager - Chemical Company - 24 year in the occupation.

Plus I'm not repopulating the world with window lickers.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 02-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Hey, I like my window licker. That's what those stupid back seats are for.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Go to school for something you love not because it could possibly afford you a 911.

I didn't buy my first 911 until I was in my 30's so hate to say it kid you could be in for a long wait. Its not a bad thing as I worked my way up from my mom's 1985 Honda Civic semi-automatic transmission, choke pulling, reliable super car that it was! From there on I owned Honda CRX's, Acura Integra's, the odd truck, etc. until I was able to complete University. I worked two jobs while in University then ended up marrying young at 24, married for 5 years, moved to Dubai then abruptly became divorced. Landed an incredible job out of my sheer determination to cold call Dubai project management firms then began to play with exotics like the NSX (owned 3), a few 911's all while dating and ended up with my current wife and now kids. I spent a total of 9 years in Dubai when the original plan was 1 or 2 years max.

My point is that your life is only at the 15-year old point and you certainly have loads of experiences and life ahead. I've always been a car nut and always will (that never leaves us) but don't be in a rush and don't prevent yourself from experiencing the world or other things just to afford a car payment on a 911.

Now I'm 38 and finishing my MBA (thesis due in 2 months) and you never know what occurs once you obtain a great education and market yourself properly.

Good luck with school and remember to study what you love.
Agreed.

I bought my first 911 with 40, and it was my goal for as long as I can remember. But you want to be at a place in your life where you own the 911 and not the other way around. It makes the ownership that much sweeter. Make sure you have the nice house and garage to park it in before you buy the Porsche.

I'm a software developer.
The following users liked this post:
ron4sc (02-24-2022)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Teaj
Hey Porsche lovers! I'm a teen car-obsessed guy who has loved Porsches since I was like 5 and I aspire to own one when I grow up. I've pretty much always been a straight As student and I would like to know what kind of career people generally have that allows them to afford a 911. As in have you guys observed any general trend of the type of jobs 911 owners have? I guess this is pretty important to me as I will be going to college in 2 about years and I've got no idea what kind of job I should be aspiring towards to afford my dream car: a 911 Turbo Thanks a lot guys! -Teaj
Tell us a little more about yourself to let me know you're legit. I admire your drive if you are. We get some of these "one time posters" here that we never hear from again and everyone giving their opinions to someone who doesn't exist.

Looking forward to your response, and I'll give you some good free advice.

Just like a 911, you have to put time into everything you do, even getting good advice!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Well if he's trolling, for the most part we have avoided sounding like complete douchenozzles. Good job guys! Now bring out the coke and ******.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 AM
psamead
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanical Engineering

Good starting salary and can work on the car yourself when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Quants are always in high demand in the financial/business world.

Salespeople (good ones) are in demand in virtually every field. Pharma/financial/real estate are some of the obvious ones.

I would suspect that programmers and IT people are also very much in demand. computers and networks were are incredibly important to the workings of modern business. I think our pal Nick of video fame is some sort of computer guy and he appears to be doing ok.

On the non college option, it would appear that guys with a real skill such as carpentry and the like, who start their own businesses (and are good at it) have more work than they can handle.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever you do, work hard. With hard work you will find a way.

Step 1: education.
Step 2: career.
Step 3: buy a home.
Step 4: pay off mortgage.
Step 5: pay cash for your Porsche.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Your only chance at a Porsche for many, many years to come (barring some crazy outlier of a career like pro athlete) is a used Porsche. Fortunately for you, you can buy a modern Porsche for under $15,000, and even under 10,000 sometimes.

Two years ago I sold the car below for $20,000, with 45,000 miles, all service work done by the dealer, and the 45,000-mile service just completed. It was the best model of the 986 Boxster S that was made, was the newest one made (2004), and was in flawless condition with two sets of wheels and tires.

Needless to say, a similar looking car without as many features, with a few more miles, or a few years older, could be had for $12,000. That is "entry-level high school student car" money.

Now, you will have an older car, it will tend to be more expensive to keep on the road than the Corolla you could buy with that same $12,000, and there will be elements of it that are harder to handle as a DIYer than a Corolla (or better yet, a Miata.)

But if you want a Porsche, and a good one, you don't have to spend anywhere near the $120,000 a new Carrera will set you back, or the $200,000 a Turbo S will cost. Heck, if you want a modern 415hp Turbo, a solid, well-cared-for 60,000-mile 996 Turbo is a $35-38,000 car in plenty of places.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

My first piece of free advice until I hear more from you:

Don't worry, come the 991.2 they'll all be turbos! You'll have plenty to choose from.

I'm cherishing my naturally aspirated 3.8 Flat 6.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I owned my first 911 (a 1970 E) when I was 20 years old and a sophomore in college. Why wait? Instead of flipping burgers when I was 18 and 19, I was a trained motorcycle mechanic and made good bux in the back of the cycle shop on repairs. Just because you are young doesn't mean you can't make money. That was 40 years ago and now I'm on my 5th Porsche. Start with a used 90's era Boxster, they're under $ 10K now. Work your way up.

Quick Reply: How I get to owning a porsche 911