Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport vs. Multi Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Another vote for the Sport Design wheel, particularly on PDK cars. While it is a personal thing I didn't for a second consider the PDK + MF wheel combination... paddle shifting is mandatory IMO and the MF wheel buttons feel clunky/awkward at best.

I've also gotten used to the MFD stalk on the lower right and find it is quite intuitive/easy to use.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I bought my car preowned and didn't obviously spec it.

You guys are making a good case in favor of the Sport Wheel!

It's not a daily driver for me, so I'd rather just focus on the car/street and not worry about multi functioning!

Last edited by STG; 02-26-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 PM
STG
Race Director

I already bought the upgraded shift **** that's waiting to be put on after winter storage!

New style is on the right side

Old 02-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Nice man. I've seen that other PDK ****, I thought it was just the upgraded aluminum option and didn't know it was newer. My car has the alcantara version of the standard shift **** on the left, no complaints really as it just gets pushed over to the left right away.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine car was pre owned as well and came with the cf multi fcn. the shift **** also has cf sides to it.

I was going to swap to the sport wheel and I pretended I didn't have the buttons on the wheel anymore and that is when I realized that as my daily driver I use the buttons on the wheel way to much. No longer want to swap... love the cf wheel.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had both. The SD wheel was a mandatory option second time around.

The MF ability to control volume and mute while on a call was truly great, but you can do almost everything else with the stalk on the SD. It's not that hard to reach for the volume **** on the dash either.

For me it was the inability to grip the wheel the way I wanted to with the MF as I would accidentally change gears. Particularly at autocross it drove me nuts, can't imagine it on the track. I do drive it in PDK manual mode 95% off the time.

And it looks way better!

Can't comment on the cost - mine was expensive as I swapped cars ��
Old 02-26-2015, 05:52 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I really miss the SD wheel - the CPO we bought had the MF wheel. After kicking in for PSE I just can't rationalize the $2K for the steering wheel swap. Looks aside I'm adapting by shifting the PDK with the shifter.

Clearly an "it sucks to be me" problem!!! What a car!
Old 02-26-2015, 08:36 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Design wheel 100% on PDK. Multifunction wheel PDK "switches" not paddles are a joke and kill PDK.

I can go either way with a manual. I personally prefer heated multifunction, but I like the look of the SD more. Wish the multifunction has some trim to break up the monotone look. It is awful.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going for the multifunction on my new GTS. Buttons are a bit worse than paddles, but not being able to fettle with the volume with my hands still on the wheel is worser still. This is especially true in a right-hand drive 991, where the gear/PDK lever is right in the way of the volume ****, so you have to do a kind of take-your-eyes off the road reacharound or just accidentally left-hook the stick.

Also, Techart can upgrade an MF wheel to take paddles but can't, due I'm told to differences in the wiring loom, put multi-functionality on an SD wheel.

I'm hoping via this roundabout route to end up with both things. Got to say it's pretty weak of Porsche not to provide both as standard or at least an option on the 911. For example Mrs Rat's new Mini has both paddles and MF, and the car costs about a fifth of a GTS.

First-world problems I know, but Porsche are a zeroth-world company...
Old 02-26-2015, 01:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Another vote for the Sport Design wheel, particularly on PDK cars. While it is a personal thing I didn't for a second consider the PDK + MF wheel combination... paddle shifting is mandatory IMO and the MF wheel buttons feel clunky/awkward at best.

I've also gotten used to the MFD stalk on the lower right and find it is quite intuitive/easy to use.
My vote also.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM
ntravaglino
Advanced

I love the SD wheel, and have found the stalk control for PCM very easy to use.

My one gripe: That I can't change the volume using the stalk, even if it means pushing it in, selecting 'Volume' etc, after getting to the radio function. If you can change stations and change tracks, why not change volume?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Default 991.2 wheel

Spy shots just released. This is the 991.2 turbo, but expect the same on the rest of the line.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/fac...erior.html?m=1

Same 918 style steering wheel as seen in the Macan/Cayenne's as well.

I'm on the fence. A hybrid mf/sport wheel.

Look at the PCM too.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM
zathras
Instructor

Count me in the minority.. my 991 is a dd, pdk with multifunction heated wheel. I just let the pdk do its thing so rarely use the paddles. But I get a LOT of use out of the thumbwheel controls and would not want to give them up.

The 991.2 pix look interesting... what is that circular control thing sticking into the lower right area of the wheel?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by zathras
Count me in the minority.. my 991 is a dd, pdk with multifunction heated wheel. I just let the pdk do its thing so rarely use the paddles. But I get a LOT of use out of the thumbwheel controls and would not want to give them up. The 991.2 pix look interesting... what is that circular control thing sticking into the lower right area of the wheel?
From the article:

One of the standout changes is the sexier-looking three-spoke steering wheel borrowed from the 918 Spyder, complete with a toggle switch on the right hand side.

In the 918 Spyder, this switch allows you to select among five distinct operating modes (E-Power, Hybrid, Sport Hybrid, Race Hybrid and Hot Lap). Given the absence of the 'Sport' and 'Sport Plus' buttons on the lower center console behind the gear lever, we're guessing Porsche moved those functions to the toggle switch, perhaps adding a few new modes in the process.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Can someone who has the Sport Wheel post a pic of the steering column stalk/button that controls the dash functions?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Sport vs. Multi Function Steering Wheel