Sponsored by:

GTS, wow, over a gt3???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default GTS, wow, over a gt3???

So went and saw my local P car dealer last night and on the showroom floor he had an amazing 2015 GTS set up... I thought it was a GT3 at first glance. My contact told me he spec'd the car to be as GT3 as possible but with daily drive road manners. Car looked amazing and in the past would never compare the two but in this set up did have me thinking...

anyway here is the car.... sounded mean, interior was amazing and car looked aggressive.

https://warwick.porschedealer.com/ne...78758/info.php
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2015, 01:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Looks great.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Can anybody confirm what the differences are? If Porsche would allow the engine to rev to 9k. It would be the same car.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Can anybody confirm what the differences are? If Porsche would allow the engine to rev to 9k. It would be the same car.
- aero
- suspension
- brakes
- PDK-S
- engine internals
- exhaust
Old 01-25-2015, 02:22 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Definitely not a GT3 but still an amazing looking, and I'm sure performing Carrera. I think I like just the plain ducktail better. Also I think the rhodium silver looks great with the black wheels. Is there enough visual difference to pay up for the GT Silver in people who have seen both?
Jim
Old 01-25-2015, 02:47 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want manual, then GTS is the only choice. If PDK, then I'd go for a stripper GT3 over a GTS. I just wished I could love the PDK.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
So went and saw my local P car dealer last night and on the showroom floor he had an amazing 2015 GTS set up... I thought it was a GT3 at first glance. My contact told me he spec'd the car to be as GT3 as possible but with daily drive road manners. Car looked amazing and in the past would never compare the two but in this set up did have me thinking...

anyway here is the car.... sounded mean, interior was amazing and car looked aggressive.

https://warwick.porschedealer.com/ne...78758/info.php
So people really do get sucked into the hype. Sorry Mick but you have been misled (and by Porsche advertising no less) to believe you can approach a GT3 with just a few cosmetic bits here and there. Its a disgrace for Porsche to promote this, so let's not encourage them, okay?

Its more than marketing, by the way. Lots of people already make cars with style posing as substance. Everyone does it to some extent, Porsche a lot less than most. In terms of style you seem to be taken in. But what about substance?

Does this GTS have the same engine? No. PDK-S? No. Rear axle steering? No. Suspension? No. Aerodynamics? No.

None of these, not even any single one taken alone, is insignificant. When Elephant Racing published a detailed report on the GT3 suspension they concluded its closer to a Cup car (Porsches racing version 991) than a Carrera S. PDK-S has been engineered not only to shift faster with more features but also to feel much more solidly connected. It just goes on and on like this, right down the line.

Granted lots of guys love the look of "the look". And that's fine. At least this way its being done with Porsche panache, not abominably riced out with aftermarket sharkwerst or whatever. So it does look better. But in terms of substance, well quite honestly, there is none.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Definitely not a GT3 but still an amazing looking, and I'm sure performing Carrera. I think I like just the plain ducktail better. Also I think the rhodium silver looks great with the black wheels. Is there enough visual difference to pay up for the GT Silver in people who have seen both?
Jim
To my eye, Rhodium had a lot of blue in it when I saw it side by side with GT Silver. I like blue, but if I wanted silver, GT looks more "silver", IMO.
Worth $3100? Only the person forking over the cash can answer that one. I would say it's more worth the $3100 than Lime Gold.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:06 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
To my eye, Rhodium had a lot of blue in it when I saw it side by side with GT Silver. I like blue, but if I wanted silver, GT looks more "silver", IMO.
Worth $3100? Only the person forking over the cash can answer that one. I would say it's more worth the $3100 than Lime Gold.
To me, GT silver is darker than Rhodium.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a chance to do an unintended comparison test last year between the 991 GT3 and a 911_50. I took delivery of the 991 GT3 and drove it until the infamous stop sale. Got tired of the PCNA BS and misinformation, Lemon Lawed it back and bought a 911_50. I actually watched some dummy pay over sticker for it on the live auction. The several differences do add up to a much different car. 40hp more, shift points and shift speed, RWS, etc. My competitive driving is limited to TSD rallye & lots of Autocrossing and at my driving skill level the 911_50 is plenty of car. A minor added plus, my wife likes it better (noise and ride quality).
Old 01-25-2015, 04:19 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

The 911 GTS drives pretty close to an existing 911S with the right options. The only really new thing is the wide body, which was standard on the previous C4S anyway. Saying the suspension is different undersells it a bit too. It's not just the shocks / springs but a lot of the control arms and bushings.

That said, the GTS is going to be more appropriate for a certain said of buyers. For example, as Rallyeporsche points out, the GTS is a better all around car.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
The 911 GTS drives pretty close to an existing 911S with the right options. The only really new thing is the wide body, which was standard on the previous C4S anyway. Saying the suspension is different undersells it a bit too. It's not just the shocks / springs but a lot of the control arms and bushings.

That said, the GTS is going to be more appropriate for a certain said of buyers. For example, as Rallyeporsche points out, the GTS is a better all around car.
are you saying the GTS suspension is significantly different than an S, or that the GT3 suspension is significantly different from the GTS (which is in fact the case)?

Just curious, if the former, what changes you are aware of have been made to the GTS suspension?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I don't understand why some people have so much trouble with this, two different cars with different missions. Neither one is really the other period. The GT3 is pretty much a factory race car that attempts to be somewhat streetable, the GTS being the more streetable car with what will amount to a bit more all around performance compared to a normal S.

I could have easily bought a GT3,....why I didn't.....

Have no use for its track benefits on the street.
Don't like the huge "look at me" spoiler for a street car. Fits for the race track.
Don't want to look at every single driveway, ramp, speed bump and wonder before I hit it.
No Burmester (big option for me)
No Sunroof (big option for me)
I do actually have occasions to use the rear seats in my S, and will use them in the GTS.

I truly understand all the above,...and have no problem with the way it is, but these are major reasons I will most likely never own a GT3.
If I did want more performance over a GTS I would go right to the Turbo, which I also could have afforded, but decided against for now.
Again, the Turbo is a more streetable car with a much better options list.

There are just some people out there that can't seem to grasp the concept of not moving towards a GT3 when spending GTS money. If I wanted to own two 911s and had aspirations of getting back into track driving a GT3 would most likely be the default. As is the GTS just fits my lifestyle much better for the money.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
I don't understand why some people have so much trouble with this, two different cars with different missions. Neither one is really the other period. The GT3 is pretty much a factory race car that attempts to be somewhat streetable, the GTS being the more streetable car with what will amount to a bit more all around performance compared to a normal S.

I could have easily bought a GT3,....why I didn't.....

Have no use for its track benefits on the street.
Don't like the huge "look at me" spoiler for a street car. Fits for the race track.
Don't want to look at every single driveway, ramp, speed bump and wonder before I hit it.
No Burmester (big option for me)
No Sunroof (big option for me)
I do actually have occasions to use the rear seats in my S, and will use them in the GTS.

I truly understand all the above,...and have no problem with the way it is, but these are major reasons I will most likely never own a GT3.
If I did want more performance over a GTS I would go right to the Turbo, which I also could have afforded, but decided against for now.
Again, the Turbo is a more streetable car with a much better options list.

There are just some people out there that can't seem to grasp the concept of not moving towards a GT3 when spending GTS money. If I wanted to own two 911s and had aspirations of getting back into track driving a GT3 would most likely be the default. As is the GTS just fits my lifestyle much better for the money.
Actually the GT3 is not just "somewhat streetable" it is eminently streetable. It is in fact a street car. More high performance than a Carrera, sure, but still a street car. Porsche makes a car that is not pretty much, but exactly, a factory race car. Its called the Cup car. The GT3 "fills the gap" between the Carrera S and the Cup. But understand I mean "fills the gap" in the literal performance sense, not the marketing fantasy sense they use when talking about the GTS.

As you rightly pointed out the Turbo would also fit in there. But where the Turbo delivers in terms of speed, its not at all in the same performance class as a GT3 or Cup in terms of responsiveness. Most people though tend to at some level equate the comfort of a Turbo with street use and the aggressive roughness of the Cup car or GT3 with the track. But its a wide range, Porsche has blurred the points into overlapping bands, and every driver has his own idea of what's what anyway. Which accounts for a lot of the "some can't grasp the concept" stuff. It may not be so much that they can't grasp it, as the concept they have a firm grasp on just happens to be different.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:38 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Does anyone know the specs for the brakes? They really seem special to me. Are they used in any other model?

Quick Reply: GTS, wow, over a gt3???