Sponsored by:

Porsche on-board GPS software?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default Porsche on-board GPS software?

I find the GPS routing on my factory PCM from Porsche really isn't nearly as good as many of the Garmin units I own - the direction routing is actually fairly poor on it. That made me wonder who does the software for the Porsche units? Anyone know? Tom-Tom? Navitech?
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

German cars for some reason are notoriously bad here. I've had the same issue with our Mercedes. They must have a common supplier.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue with my BMW and Audi. Not sure but I think it's Navitech but always a couple of years out of date by the time the software is downloaded by Porsche into the PCM. Some of the directions are so bad it's a good thing that most of the time I know where and how to get to my house 'cause the software doesn't like certain streets/directions.
Be interesting to see how current is on my Macan that I'm picking up in 45 minutes.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I still can't figure out how to search for a POI by name if it's not within a couple miles of me. It won't even show my grocery store that's 3 miles away.

So if I'm with my friends and they say let's meet at XYZ resturant 3 miles away it won't show any results. Or if I'm going on a roadtrip and want to see places along the way it's completely useless.

All I've been able to figure out is search by type of POI then scroll through hundreds in all directions or if I know the zip code I have to put all kinds of info starting with the state.

Surely there's got to be a way to update this to work with such a basic navigation function. Is there someone at Porsche I can contact? This drives me crazy
Old 01-21-2015, 12:47 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen a Auto OEM GPS system worth using.. I've never understood why they put such horrible systems. Luckily for me, I rarely need to use mine for routing when at home. Mainly just use the map aspect.

Garmin is by far my favorite, and I carry a portable with me whenever I travel. I really wish they did OEM software.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:50 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
German cars for some reason are notoriously bad here. I've had the same issue with our Mercedes. They must have a common supplier.
Not sure it is just german.. Even toyota/Lexus suck.. and they seem to get worse.. I've got a forerunner and it is more or less a joke. Pretty unusable..
Old 01-21-2015, 04:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I find the GPS routing on my factory PCM from Porsche really isn't nearly as good as many of the Garmin units I own - the direction routing is actually fairly poor on it. That made me wonder who does the software for the Porsche units? Anyone know? Tom-Tom? Navitech?
NSA
Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I punched in my home address from my office on the way home yesterday. I'm been making that 12 mile drive for 28 years now and know every route possible. The Porsche PCM had me doing U-Turns for as long as 2 miles beyond the shortest way home to go its way...which was an extremely long way adding 10 minutes on a 25 minute drive.

The Garmin units I run on my motorcycles get it right, every time. So does Google Maps on my phone.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

I've noticed the same thing.

In fact, I believe every route I have entered in the Porsche NAV that I actually knew the route beforehand always got it wrong. After a few tests I asked myself how far out of my way it would take me if I really didn't know where I was going and haven't used it since. iPhone now.

lol, I think there's a joke in there somewhere.

What a shame really. Having that NAV screen there for that purpose to be able to rely on it. Sh**ty.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Collie,

Maybe it's just all a conspiracy like Chuck thinks and Porsche wants us all to accumulate more miles on our cars more quickly so we purchase a CPO extended warranty. ? Not a total joke. :/
Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

When I sold M-B's (ending in 2005) their navigation software came from Alpine. Compared to the Garmin units I've used for years while traveling the OEM units lag far behind in both ease of use and database. How Garmin can do it and only charge a few hundred dollars while the auto manufacturers with all their might can't is a mystery. If only they would eat a little humble pie and contract with Garmin.
I wonder if you could run a Garmin unit but use the car's screen. Maybe even integrate the Garmin antenna and electronics into the car and use the PCM screen.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Collie, Maybe it's just all a conspiracy like Chuck thinks and Porsche wants us all to accumulate more miles on our cars more quickly so we purchase a CPO extended warranty. ? Not a total joke. :/
At least the turbos will stop you increasing your fuel usage whilst on the scenic route....
Old 01-21-2015, 06:19 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

True!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

According to Porsche the GPS software is of Japanese origin. While it's user intern is pokey and awkward it seems to work. I didn't buy the car for the GPS however.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With the pace of change in technology I think the real answer should be interoperability with our portable devices - iPhone or android. Seriously, paying hundreds of dollars for map upgrades on a system that doesn't even work adequately!

Give me Waze that I can control from my in car screen and I'd be a happy camper.

Oh wait - that would be Apple CarPlay.

Last edited by Dalema; 01-26-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche on-board GPS software?