Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro delivery - April 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
LSV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't pour diesel in a gasoline car. The nozzle is larger for diesel in Europe.
Gas in a diesel is possible. Be careful with rental.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
It's easy to tell - it's harder to judge adequate octane as they use a different measurement - I used the highest available when we did our BMW ED. Diesel says diesel but beware they have super diesel too so make sure to pick super petrol
98 octane here we come!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Totally agree, you *MUST* get instruction before attempting the ring at anything other than "road speeds".
The 'Ring is a dangerous place to the uninitiated, no doubt about it. It deserves immense respect as you can pick up hellacious speed at that place. It has jumps, for crying out loud. However, I do not think you have to get instruction to put your foot down if you are an experienced track driver/racer and spend some time learning the track before you go. It would certainly would help ANYONE but for many drivers I know here on Reenlist, it certainly isn't a must (for many others here on Rennlist it may be, lol!).

This:
You should also do some homework prior and at least attempt to learn the corners and lines... using youtube full lap videos really help visualize the track... and give you something to do on the 11 hour flight to FRA from SFO
When I was there for ED with my BMW, I bought in advance the Circuit Euro Guide for the Nordschleife, watched video, and drove the track a lot in video games.

Of equal importance to learning the track is understanding the track rules, particularly with passing. Unlike what you may be used to the CAR BEING PASSED is responsible for the safe completion of passes. USE YOUR MIRRORS!

Lastly, remember that with ED the car is new to you, too. You likely do not know its limits and vices by the time you get to the 'Ring.

Here I am with my '06 330i going through the Kleine Karussell (note the Euro Delivery plate...):
Old 02-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Many of the local rental companies have serious concerns about 1st time drivers
that have used video games as a learning aid (e.g: RSRNurburg)..

I personally don't think using any of these games are a good way to attain experience of the track prior to actually driving it.

Using line guides *and* watching full lap youtube videos is far more informative
than playing a game ...

The main complaint is that everyone is stefan bellof on these games, but the
reality is much much different.

Ive been tracking and coaching at the Ring for over 10 years now ... please don't use a video game to train for the real thing.

YMMV
Old 02-21-2015, 09:16 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Using line guides *and* watching full lap youtube videos is far more informative than playing a game ... The main complaint is that everyone is stefan bellof on these games, but the reality is much much different. Ive been tracking and coaching at the Ring for over 10 years now ... please don't use a video game to train for the real thing. YMMV
I've been watching full lap videos of the ring just to get some visualization of each corner. I also completed a two day performance PSDS in Birmingham on a 911 Carrera S just to familiarize myself with the car at high speeds. Although this was great fun, if I do get a chance to drive the ring I will definitely take it easy and will be practicing moderation.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LSV
You can't pour diesel in a gasoline car. The nozzle is larger for diesel in Europe. Gas in a diesel is possible. Be careful with rental.
Good to know. I never knew that. I'll take a look the next time I gas up later this week.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
The 'Ring is a dangerous place to the uninitiated, no doubt about it. It deserves immense respect as you can pick up hellacious speed at that place. It has jumps, for crying out loud. However, I do not think you have to get instruction to put your foot down if you are an experienced track driver/racer and spend some time learning the track before you go. It would certainly would help ANYONE but for many drivers I know here on Reenlist, it certainly isn't a must (for many others here on Rennlist it may be, lol!). This: When I was there for ED with my BMW, I bought in advance the Circuit Euro Guide for the Nordschleife, watched video, and drove the track a lot in video games. Of equal importance to learning the track is understanding the track rules, particularly with passing. Unlike what you may be used to the CAR BEING PASSED is responsible for the safe completion of passes. USE YOUR MIRRORS! Lastly, remember that with ED the car is new to you, too. You likely do not know its limits and vices by the time you get to the 'Ring. Here I am with my '06 330i going through the Kleine Karussell (note the Euro Delivery plate...):
Appreciate the feedback. Great shot of the bimmer! How many laps did you do that day?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 AM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For my first drive on 'ring - a 4-lap Touristenfahrten through RSRNurburg, I used the Circuit Euro Guide and video's. Even with this pre-arrival study, once I got out on the track I lost my bearings and could not tell where I was - other than the Karussell and a few other notable landmarks. For my second time, I did a track-day through RSR with an instructor. With their knowledge of landmarks the drive was faster and safer. For example at the Metzgesfeld/Kallenhard complex "aim for the yellow dot on the Armco and turn-in late". Even with many track days and PSDS Masters+, I benefited greatly from having an instructor with me. I would highly recommend taking instruction - at the least the first time at the 'ring - it's good value.

I'll be back to the 'ring this year in May with my ED C4GTS. Looking forward to applying my instructed seat time knowledge to some solo laps. Will be fun for sure.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p987yow
For my first drive on 'ring - a 4-lap Touristenfahrten through RSRNurburg, I used the Circuit Euro Guide and video's. Even with this pre-arrival study, once I got out on the track I lost my bearings and could not tell where I was - other than the Karussell and a few other notable landmarks. For my second time, I did a track-day through RSR with an instructor. With their knowledge of landmarks the drive was faster and safer. For example at the Metzgesfeld/Kallenhard complex "aim for the yellow dot on the Armco and turn-in late". Even with many track days and PSDS Masters+, I benefited greatly from having an instructor with me. I would highly recommend taking instruction - at the least the first time at the 'ring - it's good value.

I'll be back to the 'ring this year in May with my ED C4GTS. Looking forward to applying my instructed seat time knowledge to some solo laps. Will be fun for sure.
well said ... I remember my 1st lap heading up between kesselchen to klostertal in my GT3 going flat out I asked myself "do I know where I am
and where is the line..." the answer was "in a forrest in Germany and no"...

people die on the Ring and cars get totaled... take 4-5 of your favorite tracks,
tack them onto each other, plant a forrest and add 1000ft of elevantion change...

To get to a sub 8:00 lap you need more than a video game.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Ive been tracking and coaching at the Ring for over 10 years now ...
Assuming you've rented a car for the full touristenfahrt day, what's a reasonable number of laps to plan for? 6?
Old 02-22-2015, 05:42 PM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes - 6 is very doable. I did my 4 laps on a quiet Touristenfahrten evening. I got 8-laps in on a delayed opening, wet track day - including one lap with Sabine Schmitz in her GT3RS .
Old 02-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Assuming you've rented a car for the full touristenfahrt day, what's a reasonable number of laps to plan for? 6?
mostly depends on how many crashes occur and how many closures occur...

10 laps is probably sufficient and usually the mileage many of the local rentals anticipate for a full day rental ... I recommend rentracecar.de and RSRnurburg (as long as you dont total one of their cars...)

See if you can find any other RLers who can give you some rides around...
Old 02-22-2015, 08:29 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p987yow
Yes - 6 is very doable. I did my 4 laps on a quiet Touristenfahrten evening. I got 8-laps in on a delayed opening, wet track day - including one lap with Sabine Schmitz in her GT3RS .
10 laps is probably sufficient ...
Good info.

I recommend rentracecar.de and RSRnurburg (as long as you dont total one of their cars...)
I'm leaning toward RSRnurburg since they also have track days at Spa scheduled for the window in which we'll be there. I can't pass up the opportunity to add another bucket list item.

See if you can find any other RLers who can give you some rides around...
Is there a app for that

So far, I think there's one other RLer doing ED in May.

Is there a good forum for 'ring junkies? Anyone here on bridgetoganty.com? Any other good learning links?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Good info.

I'm leaning toward RSRnurburg since they also have track days at Spa scheduled for the window in which we'll be there. I can't pass up the opportunity to add another bucket list item.

Is there a app for that

So far, I think there's one other RLer doing ED in May.

Is there a good forum for 'ring junkies? Anyone here on bridgetoganty.com? Any other good learning links?
I'm EDing at the end of May ... I highly recommend Spa, if anything its even more technical than the Ring...
Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm EDing at the end of May ...
Expect PM presently.

I highly recommend Spa, if anything its even more technical than the Ring...
I have Spa memorized from 20 years of F1 in-car footage (Not that I intend to do anything other that approach it as a 'fresh track' though.)

Quick Reply: Euro delivery - April 2015