Euro delivery - April 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:16 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaution321
Gents,

Thank you all for the helpful information and valuable threads. I greatly enjoyed reading everyone's threads from their past ED experiences and looking forward to my own experience. I plan to do about 2k miles of driving in 16 days. How many miles did you guys drive and how long was your ED trip?

Below are some updates:

- ED location: I want to pick up and drop off in stuttgart mainly because the 911 is built there and the whole history of the brand ect.

- Timing: build date is March and I don't want to postpone the build/delivery to the U.S. So unfortunately the trip will have to be in April. I will try to push out a bit but don't want it too late in April since will take another 4-6 weeks shipment going stateside which means dealer delivery will now be well into summer.

- Routes: I will use some of the recommendations here and stay along the coast and spend my last week of the trip in Germany to do castle tours, autobahn and Nurburgring.
Our pickup date was April 23, 2014 and we went with the standard two weeks. Drove 3620 km (approx 2300 miles). Stuttgart weather was cool so we headed south and spent the bulk of the time in Tuscany and Provence. Since you are also going with your wife I'll tell you how I "sold" the concept and she would tell you it was a great trip. Ambling from town to town staying somewhere different every night did not check any boxes for her, so I planned three long driving days and every other day was shorter sightseeing drives radiating from each hub hotel.

We flew into Frankfurt and took the train down to Stuttgart. We chose the Steigenbergen Graf Zeppelin as it is a 2 block walk from the train station, right downtown, and a 15 minute taxi ride from the factory. We asked for an early morning delivery (8 am) the following day - did the delivery, the factory tour, had lunch at Christophorus, then jumped in the car at about 1:30 and drove to Innsbruck to enjoy a lovely evening that catered to my wife. We arranged to do the Museum on the day we returned the car. I think if you try to do everything the first day your wife will be on car overload and likely trying to rush you out of the Museum.

First long drive day - Innsbruck to Siena Italy - we made the long days full days on interesting roads with stops for sites and food, not my usual "I hope you find something you like in the gas station" marathon drives. The long first day drive was followed by five days of touring around Tuscany doing historical/sightseeing things that interested my wife (and me).

Second long drive day - Siena Italy to Arles France along the Mediterranean coast, followed by five days of the same.

Third long day drive - Arles France to Strasbourg France, followed by 2 days of the same.

Black Forest twisty tour from Strasbourg to Stuttgart for car return followed by relaxed Museum tour that my wife enjoyed.

We drove every day, but sometimes to go a couple of hundred miles with stops of interest can take all day.

Car arrived on the west coast of Canada before the end of June.

*Spend the $200 for Euro navigation - it is invaluable as it knows its way around ancient cities with pedestrian only zones and can find even the most obscure car parks
**The Michelin Green Guides were really helpful for navigating to sites of interest and finding fun roads
Old 01-05-2015, 07:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by clangpap
Our pickup date was April 23, 2014 and we went with the standard two weeks. Drove 3620 km (approx 2300 miles). Stuttgart weather was cool so we headed south and spent the bulk of the time in Tuscany and Provence. Since you are also going with your wife I'll tell you how I "sold" the concept and she would tell you it was a great trip. Ambling from town to town staying somewhere different every night did not check any boxes for her, so I planned three long driving days and every other day was shorter sightseeing drives radiating from each hub hotel.

We flew into Frankfurt and took the train down to Stuttgart. We chose the Steigenbergen Graf Zeppelin as it is a 2 block walk from the train station, right downtown, and a 15 minute taxi ride from the factory. We asked for an early morning delivery (8 am) the following day - did the delivery, the factory tour, had lunch at Christophorus, then jumped in the car at about 1:30 and drove to Innsbruck to enjoy a lovely evening that catered to my wife. We arranged to do the Museum on the day we returned the car. I think if you try to do everything the first day your wife will be on car overload and likely trying to rush you out of the Museum.

First long drive day - Innsbruck to Siena Italy - we made the long days full days on interesting roads with stops for sites and food, not my usual "I hope you find something you like in the gas station" marathon drives. The long first day drive was followed by five days of touring around Tuscany doing historical/sightseeing things that interested my wife (and me).

Second long drive day - Siena Italy to Arles France along the Mediterranean coast, followed by five days of the same.

Third long day drive - Arles France to Strasbourg France, followed by 2 days of the same.

Black Forest twisty tour from Strasbourg to Stuttgart for car return followed by relaxed Museum tour that my wife enjoyed.

We drove every day, but sometimes to go a couple of hundred miles with stops of interest can take all day.

Car arrived on the west coast of Canada before the end of June.

*Spend the $200 for Euro navigation - it is invaluable as it knows its way around ancient cities with pedestrian only zones and can find even the most obscure car parks
**The Michelin Green Guides were really helpful for navigating to sites of interest and finding fun roads
This is pretty much our plan also; 4 hour "sprint" into Switzerland, slightly longer hop to Provence, then up to Burgundy, finally Champagne (and maybe a quick lap of the Ring) and back to Stuttgart

catching the train from FRA makes a LOT of sense, the ICE platform is a short walk from the arrivals terminal, the train is about 1:15 and the Graf Zeppelin is just across the street from the station ... worth reserving seats on diebahn.de
Old 01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
catching the train from FRA makes a LOT of sense, the ICE platform is a short walk from the arrivals terminal, the train is about 1:15 and the Graf Zeppelin is just across the street from the station ... worth reserving seats on diebahn.de
Reserve First Class unless you want to stand - it's a commuter train and it's full. Stood/leaned in the booze car on the way down, relaxed in comfort on the way back.

For clarity for anyone who hasn't done it, the train goes right into FRA, that's why Larry describes it as a short walk.

In our case, after the museum tour we had the factory drop us off at the train station, went back to FRA (there are some good business oriented hotels in the terminal), had dinner and relaxed in the morning before our flight without worry of train delays or anything from Stuttgart on the day of departure.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Certainly don't mean to hijack and I'll start my own thread if more appropriate. But I'm looking now at getting my first 911 (used) after 20+ years of child raising. Sold the first (and last) one when the first child was 2. Euro delivery is a fascinating idea and I've got a landmark birthday coming up in 2 years with my wife already talking about trips we might take to celebrate. I can't imagine a cooler celebration trip than picking up a special order 911, touring the area and having it come home. So my question is can one realistically expect a fair trade in from a dealer on a nice used 911 as part of a Euro-delivery order? Or, stated another way, can I safely buy a 911 now, drive it 18 months and if I love it and want to do the Euro-delivery birthday expect a good trade in on the one I buy now, or should I wait if this is something that I might really want to do?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Time of year similar to yours. Had some of the same targets. Some itinerary maps included:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/6941...-thoughts.html
Old 01-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Certainly don't mean to hijack and I'll start my own thread if more appropriate. But I'm looking now at getting my first 911 (used) after 20+ years of child raising. Sold the first (and last) one when the first child was 2. Euro delivery is a fascinating idea and I've got a landmark birthday coming up in 2 years with my wife already talking about trips we might take to celebrate. I can't imagine a cooler celebration trip than picking up a special order 911, touring the area and having it come home. So my question is can one realistically expect a fair trade in from a dealer on a nice used 911 as part of a Euro-delivery order? Or, stated another way, can I safely buy a 911 now, drive it 18 months and if I love it and want to do the Euro-delivery birthday expect a good trade in on the one I buy now, or should I wait if this is something that I might really want to do?
I'd say you will get as good a trade in as you would if you are not doing ED.

You *might* want to make a deal with your dealer giving him the ED business and make the trade-in part of that deal up front ...
Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clangpap
Reserve First Class unless you want to stand - it's a commuter train and it's full. Stood/leaned in the booze car on the way down, relaxed in comfort on the way back.

For clarity for anyone who hasn't done it, the train goes right into FRA, that's why Larry describes it as a short walk.

In our case, after the museum tour we had the factory drop us off at the train station, went back to FRA (there are some good business oriented hotels in the terminal), had dinner and relaxed in the morning before our flight without worry of train delays or anything from Stuttgart on the day of departure.
its fine at the weekends, and very quick... 1:15.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My pickup was late May 2013. My wife and I flew into Munich then took the train to Stuttgart. We had a limited time for this trip so we stayed in Stuttgart and took day trips out from there. The factory tour, collection, and museum stop filled up a whole day (9-5). We took day trips to Baden-Baden, the Black Forest, Rothenburg, Heidelberg. Afterwards we dropped the car off, took the train back to Munich and spent the night there before our flight back to the States. It's a good idea to have a day before your pickup just in case travel arrangements get delayed.

Plenty of details here if you're interested: http://stealthboy.com/porsche.php
Old 01-14-2015, 11:59 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, Alan or anyone who has experience driving their ED car at Nurburgring. I see on the website that cars with temporary license plate are not allowed at the ring.

My question is will I be able to track my car at the Nurburgring?

Are the license plates that Porsche provides considered a temp plate that is not allowed at the ring?

If this is the case what do I need to do so I can take my car?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:13 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I had no problem with my temporary ED plates.

As an aside, and probably mostly irrelevant, but we did get pulled over on the street outside one of the hotels at the Ring. It was late and the cops were probably bored and decided to do a routine check. Once they saw the papers they sent us on our way.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry, Alan or anyone who has experience driving their ED car at Nurburgring. I see on the website that cars with temporary license plate are not allowed at the ring.

My question is will I be able to track my car at the Nurburgring?

Are the license plates that Porsche provides considered a temp plate that is not allowed at the ring?

If this is the case what do I need to do so I can take my car?

Thanks guys.
The answer is its ambiguous; its not clear if the export plates are considered by the Ring as "temporary" (my interpretation is that they are not), all I can tell you is that back in '07 and '10 I drove there with them and will hopefully do so in May.

Others have continued to drive on them since then with no problems, but there is always a nascent conspiracy theory that they are not allowed.

You should have no problems.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My euro delivery itinerary is coming along nicely. I ended up extending my trip to 3 weeks. I'll be traveling to Switzerland, France, Italy and of course spending some time in Germany.

I hear filling up your car at a gas station in some European places may be confusing. Petrol in some areas is gasoline but can also mean diesel and gasoline in some places is actually diesel. I'm curious if this is going to be a task in my travels...
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My euro delivery itinerary is coming along nicely. I ended up extending my trip to 3 weeks. I'll be traveling to Switzerland, France, Italy and of course spending some time in Germany.

I hear filling up your car at a gas station in some European places may be confusing. Petrol in some areas is gasoline but can also mean diesel and gasoline in some places is actually diesel. I'm curious if this is going to be a task in my travels...
I don't think you won't have an issue determining which fuel (premium gas) go put in your new car. Just be prepared for the $7/gallon price

Last edited by SDaddy; 02-20-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:06 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Diesel is more or less an international word so don't worry. It's easy to see the difference. Plus, the diesel nozzle shouldn't fit in the regular petrol/gasoline hole. Have fun!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It's easy to tell - it's harder to judge adequate octane as they use a different measurement - I used the highest available when we did our BMW ED. Diesel says diesel but beware they have super diesel too so make sure to pick super petrol

Quick Reply: Euro delivery - April 2015