Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S Wheels in Gloss (painted) Black - Anyone Wax them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera S Wheels in Gloss (painted) Black - Anyone Wax them?

My new C2S has the painted black Carrera S wheels. I am noticing fine micro-scratches from cleaning. No surprise given that brake dust is abrasive.

Has anyone waxed them to remove the micro scratches? Does it work? Any other cleaning tips?

Love the look of these wheels but they are clearly more high maintenance than the Platinum finish I had on the wheels my 981 Cayman S.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Of course, wax them!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I've done plenty of gloss black Porsche wheels and became very stressed out at the ease of scratching. It's the color that shows everything! It's a flat color with no depth or flakes.

Only option is to have then professionally Opti-coated or similar ceramic coating to at least help a bit.

You need to thoroughly rinse them before washing (to get brake dust off), and only use a microfiber wash mitt to wash them and microfiber towel to dry. No brushes!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Even with me spending like 15-20min per wheel cleaning them with care, it minimized the issue.

The good news-- standing a few feet away, the scratches aren't noticeable.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Don't use wax on the wheels, it's carnuba based and won't last more than 3 to 4 weeks, tops. Use REJEX instead, its a polymer based product that will go 6 months. I also use it to coat my front bumper cover, makes the bugs come off easily. Think of it as Rain-X for wheels and bodywork. Once you use this, you'll never go back to wax...

Amazon.com: Corrosion-X 61002 Rejex 16oz Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Corrosion-X 61002 Rejex 16oz Bottle: Automotive
Old 12-19-2014, 10:12 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

You know, I would not wax either. Hey when the guys are right, the guys are right! After removing the scratches with a good polish like Griot's Machine 4 (wax won't remove, will only fill in the finer ones) then try one of the above recommendations. Be glad you got the Carrera S wheels with nice smooth curves making it easier to clean with your microfiber wheel mitt.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:39 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Don't use wax on the wheels, it's carnuba based and won't last more than 3 to 4 weeks, tops. Use REJEX instead, its a polymer based product that will go 6 months. I also use it to coat my front bumper cover, makes the bugs come off easily. Think of it as Rain-X for wheels and bodywork. Once you use this, you'll never go back to wax...

Amazon.com: Corrosion-X 61002 Rejex 16oz Bottle: Automotive
I've used the rejex before and the depth of shine sucks. I forget what the instructions say, but you have to layer on top with wax or something like that.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

They are a painted surface just like anything else so the same rules apply, but since they are wheels they are subject to more abuse. I have the shiny black painted sport designs and love them, but yes they do get fine scratches on them now and then.

Since I use Zaino on the car, I also do the same for the wheels and it works great, just requires the extra time to get everything covered and buffed out properly. Once done they pretty much look new.

Never use any harsh cleaners on them, just regular non-wax stripping car wash soap and a fine sponge or micro-fiber cloth to clean them. Spray a good jet of water on them to get most of the brake dust off first and then rinse the sponge or cloth out well before starting on the next wheel.

After they are dry simply wax with Zaino Z2 (couple of coats if possible), then they will resist much of the abuse in the future.

www.zainobros.com
Old 12-23-2014, 11:56 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. I work for 3M, and contacted the folks at Meguiar's (they are a 3M subsidiary) they suggested the following. Used it yesterday, and it worked great. For deeper scratches the suggestion was their Color X product first, followed by the product below.

I do like the idea of a more durable coating though....
Attached Images  

Last edited by blschaefer1; 12-23-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Gloss gun metal gray, but same idea.

I use a paint sealant from Autogeek on my wheels- keeps the brake dust down.

http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Quick Reply: Carrera S Wheels in Gloss (painted) Black - Anyone Wax them?