Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd vs 4wd in New England

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM
sc8526
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with many on here. Speaking from the perspective of a guy who bought a c2 as a daily driver - my car sat in the garage some 20 days that it wouldn't have last year if I'd bought the C4.

...and I'm in Indy. Hate to think how many I'd have counted if up north. As to the beater recommendation - perhaps I should keep a log of my emotions driving the MDX instead of the 911.

Save yourself the same grief.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:34 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

C4 here. Monster grip, Michelin alpin PA4 on next week.

Not going to drive in deep snow but I'm not garaging it all winter. Drive!

Last edited by djlynch; 10-29-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:17 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 Best Drivers Car.

Last years award but still relevant.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...arrera_4s.html
Old 10-29-2014, 09:58 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 155 Posts

I've driven Corvettes and M3s year round in Chicago with snow tires mounted and haven't had any problems. I would suspect that a 911, with the engine over the rear wheels, would be even better. But snow tires are a must.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in NE and a wide body AWD was a requirement when looking for my 911. I got a Targa 4S and already mounted winter tires and wheels as the temps have already dropped below 40 around here.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in MA and have a 4S, I put a set of winter tires/wheels on it as well last year. If there was less than 4" of fresh snow or so the car went with me. I have to say that with the proper setup the car was unstoppable. I have a fairly steep driveway and work by some steep streets. I wasn't worried about the car and traction, it was all of the SUVs on the road that concerned me most. I even took the car to an empty lot with a few inches of snow to try to do some drifting and it was harder than you might think, the car simply would not spin out of control. You can get by with a 2S and proper winter tires, I did so with a 335 for several years before getting my 4S. Is the 4S much better? YES. Only you can decide if it's worth the risk to you.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 AM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, it's all about the tires. My current daily driver is an M3, and I can say without a doubt that an M3 with winter tires is much better than a 4WD 335xi with all season tires. Lots of snow in Chicago last winter and I drove the M3 all the time with Blizzaks and it was great. My next daily driver is hopefully going to be a 991 GTS (2WD) and I plan to do the same thing. The tires have much more of an effect than anything else. I'm sure a C4S with winter tires will be better than a C2S with winter tires, but the C2S with winter tires will be good. The main issue will be deep snow where the front end acts like a snow plow. Other than that, I don't think traction will be an issue.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:26 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a C2 here in northern NJ, prior to that I was in Chicago, so I am used to bad weather. I drive the car year round with the Pirelli 20" winter tires and it handles unbelievable. I am sure it won't be able to do quite what a C4 can do, but you certainly won't get stuck.

I should also add my prior cars were a Z4 and an S2000 and I drove them 50-60 miles a day and never had a problem other than some other idiot drivers. One day I was on a long backroad in a snowstorm with two SUVs and an awd Mercedes in front if me. All three cars got stuck going up a long hill. The look on their faces was priceless when I passed them in the S2000 - with the top down of course!

When the first snowstorm hits, go to an empty parking lot and learn how the car handles. Take it sideways, brake, swerve, etc and see how it reacts. You won't be disappointed!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:34 AM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year was our worst winter on record. I put winter Pirellis on mine, and did just fine.

Having said that, my next car will be a C4 of some flavor.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrien
As others have said, it's all about the tires...
... on the car behind you.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

I live in Northern Virginia and we have our fair share of bad weather. My 991CS is mt DD. Previously, it was a 997CS. Both were equipped with proper winter tires and both had no trouble in the snow. That being said, the biggest obstacle for me is ground clearance. The rRWD is no problem for traction but the low clearance is a problem with any considerable amount of snow. I'm sure this is true with RWD or AWD. Personally, I like the 4S but I don't think bad weather is the reason to make that choice.

Originally Posted by Kharz
Hi guys -

I am looking to make the switch from a 996 C4S to a 991.

I have my eye on a nice 991s ... but my question for all of you new englanders; is that a mistake or should I stick with a C4S model?

This is my daily driver and I need to take it to the train station in the snow.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been navigating Montreal winters with a RWD car for years. No problem if you have proper winter tires on.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Are the Sottozero II's good enough to be a real winter/snow tire, or are they more of an "all season" tire?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default +1

Originally Posted by jawells1
Well, I am not in "New England" per se... but i live in a part of the Northeast that sees its' share of foul weather, which may be just as bad if not worse than what you get in NE (many times when you get heavy snow, we get ice storms, rain, sleet, AND heavy snow!). I drove my C4S in many types of ice, slush, snow, rain, and wintry mix, and I can tell you that AWD is the way to go. Even then, you should still fit the car with proper snow tires (not all-season). If for nothing else but the fact that when temps dip below 40 degrees the tire rubber compounds change and summer tires at those temperatures could potentially be dangerous. Full disclosure though -- if the weather was REALLY awful, and snow was more than couple of inches, I just worked from home that day! But just about all other times I was driving to the train station, leaving the car there all day, and driving it home that night in whatever conditions Mother Nature felt like dishing out that day! Never any regrets! Just remember your basic laws of physics and you'll be safe in C2 or C4.
Winter compound tires are essential when driving in 40 degree or below weather whether dry, wet or snow/ice. A rear wheel drive car with the right tires should be fine in New England winters, but AWD is better. That is one of the reasons I got the Turbo S instead of a GT3. Obviously, when the snow is higher than the car's clearance traction will be a major problem whether RWD or AWD, even in a large AWD vehicle. Just be mindful of those in large AWD vehicles thinking that laws of physics do not apply to them on icy or packed snow surfaces. Generally they are much less tractable than vehicles with dedicated winter compound tires, so just leave them plenty of room to pass.

Quick Reply: 2wd vs 4wd in New England