Order freeze date this week - Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:23 AM
SpotP7
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order freeze date this week - Newbie questions

All,

First post. Thank you for this friendly and very educational forum. It has taught me a bunch about Porsches the past couple months.

I have a few questions, because the order/build process for my just ordered Carrera 4 coupe moved along very quickly. Likely delivery date February 1, order freeze date is this week. This is going to be pretty much a daily driver (in Maryland), but will use another car in real snow. Some of these questions have been addressed in other threads, but some of those are older, and I am wondering about current perspectives. Feel free to comment on any or all. Your thoughts and experience are much appreciated.

- Can anyone who has a rear camera comment? How helpful is it, and how about the front and rear sensors? I especially wonder about whether the front sensor picks up low parking curbs, or is it pointing too high to be of help? I have heard both yes and no. I've never imagined I would ever want such features, but the rear camera seems especially useful? And parking curb avoidance would be great. What is your experience?

- Friends and family tell me to get black (actually black metallic), but the browns keep calling. Anyone who has or has experience with the mahogony metallic or anthracite brown have any comments? I've never actually seen either in the flesh, and going only on internet photos is difficult.

- Anyone who got the rear wiper that feels it really isn't helpful?

- Silly, and obviously doesn't affect the order, but what do you really do about cupholders / drinks?

- And finally, heresy -- I am considering going to all season tires after the first set wears out this coming year. I don't like the idea of storing and swapping wheels twice a year, and driving in snow tires for four months (because of temperature as much or more than snow) seems somewhat undesirable.

I could ask a lot more questions, but I fear the answers could cost me money...

Thanks very much,
Scott
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by SpotP7
- And finally, heresy -- I am considering going to all season tires after the first set wears out this coming year. I don't like the idea of storing and swapping wheels twice a year, and driving in snow tires for four months (because of temperature as much or more than snow) seems somewhat undesirable.
I'll leave the rest to current 991 owners but this suggestion above is not recommended... all season (ie. no season) tires are a compromise in both summer and winter, to me they have no place on any sporty/sports car. Get over the idea of swapping out summers for winters and you'll be in much better shape all around.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

- Silly, and obviously doesn't affect the order, but what do you really do about cupholders / drinks?

Thanks very much,
Scott
Well, your car will have cup holders. They are concealed just about the glove box. But, I have a no food, no drink, policy in the Porsches. That's why there is a Starbucks on every corner.

As for tires, use the proper tool for the job.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Rear camera is very helpful, not quite as good as the one on my X5. The camera is just above the license plate, not particularly visible but may annoy some. Front sensors pick up curbs but I never rely on them for curbs, period.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have learned that if you are going back and forth on something it is better to get it than not (i.e backup camera). The sensors do pick up a lot, but not all, curbs. The rear camera is helpful in low light and dark driving for me.

About color, get what YOU want. I got white before on a consensus of family and friends and I did like it and it was great looking. I got blue this time because it was MY color and I CANNOT STOP GRINNING.

The cupholders are not my favorite, but they work. I also rarely drink in the Porsche.
I have never had rear wipers (dont need em in Texas).
Do you live somewhere that you really need winter tires? Sorry not much help there.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm a back up camera fan. My Boxster was Mahogany and beautiful. If you hear it'll be hard to resell, mine sold in less than 10 days after I traded it (including the CPO process). Get what you like, unless someone else is paying for it.
I used my cup holder all the time but am ordering the interior leather package on my GTS so I'll be pressing on leather to open and close the cover. I didn't like the bright silver color of that strip on the 981.
For me, ventilated seats are a must.
As far as tires, I'm buying a second set of wheels with winter tires. If you can't find a set through here, check out Suncoast and Tire Rack.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

FWIW mahogany is epic in person. Absolutely stunning with a slight dark cherry to it. If I ordered new it would be the color I'd get no question no hesitation.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Samp4
Racer

I have anthracite and really like it a lot. Great comments all the time. It is also easy to clean and doesn't show dust. It sometimes look gray and other time a mid tone brown. I Like the variations. I also love the mahogany but I did not order that. I was afraid of the scratches and harder to keep clean.

As far as cup holders - there is a guy (look up my threads) that you can get them from - work great.

If you go with brown interior to match the outside (hint hint) - look at getting the steering wheel column in leather as that is black on my car and looks out of place.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I live in Washington state, drive a lot in the rain, a good 40 years with either a 911 or a 240-Z (same shape) and never felt the need for a rear wiper. About half of that was before Rain-X, which since using that there absolutely is no need for a wiper. With the money you save buy a helmet and go autocross or get some driving instruction. Million times better cost/benefit.

All-season tires would only be appropriate if you'll be driving in snow often enough to be worth the substantial sacrifice the rest of the time. Since you won't be driving in snow there goes that one. What tiny little improvement they want you to believe you'll get in the wet either isn't there or certainly isn't enough to be worth the substantial loss of performance. Performance by the way does not mean just track times. Because the faster you're able to stop or swerve it means safety. It also means the way your car feels, every little thing, all the time. You're paying a lot for that feeling. Don't throw it all away with the wrong tires.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I'm a big fan of snow tires but all-seasons might be fine for your purposes.

The rubber compound on my dedicated summer tires becomes downright greasy when the temp drops below 40 degrees. They're dangerous on dry roads. I assume your Maryland winters are similar to our Pittsburgh winters... lots of cold but not too many days of accumulating white stuff.

I'm a big fan of snow tires for making it through fresh powder, but all seasons could work great on a zero-degree day with dry roads, or a 35 degree day and wet roads. That may describe most of your winter.

You'll give up summer performance and using an all-season over a summer tire, but if you aren't using all 1.06g's anyhow (or whatever it is) the compromise might be a great comporomise for your purposes.

I think a properly outfitted 911 can serve many different masters.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Backup cameras is a nice option to have - not a requirement given how small the 911 is. If we were talkin about a Cayenne it would be a different story.

Front sensors are able to pick up parking dividers and curbs about 70% of the time. But I wouldn't trust it 100% of the time.

Never understood the appeal of the rear wipers. The rake on the rear windshield is low enough that water never collects.

Color is obviously a personal thing but brown may not be the best for resale.

In any event, good luck and congrats.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM
zathras
Instructor

All,

- Can anyone who has a rear camera comment? How helpful is it, and how about the front and rear sensors? I especially wonder about whether the front sensor picks up low parking curbs, or is it pointing too high to be of help? I have heard both yes and no. I've never imagined I would ever want such features, but the rear camera seems especially useful? And parking curb avoidance would be great. What is your experience?

- Friends and family tell me to get black (actually black metallic), but the browns keep calling. Anyone who has or has experience with the mahogony metallic or anthracite brown have any comments? I've never actually seen either in the flesh, and going only on internet photos is difficult.

Thanks very much,
Scott
Never have and never will own a black car (especially now that I live in the desert). Personally I like the browns, especially a metallic or golden brown. If I were going to order, it would be in some shade of brown. Stop down at your dealer- they should have something on the lot in those colors.

I would get a rearview cam as well. There are times when I wish I had one. I have the F/R sensors on mine and they are handy as well and do seem to pick up the parking blocks and curbs.

The flip-out cupholders are in the dash as lexvan mentioned, but they seem a bit flimsy and I'm always a bit apprehensive that they will get snapped off so I keep them stowed away as I'm sure most do.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

I agree that you should get the color you want. If resale and other practical issues were a real top concern most of us would not be getting the 911 in the first place. Its a 100K car before you start adding any options. White and black 911's look beautiful but since almost every So Cal Porsche dealer orders their cars in black and white they don't stand out as much here.

If you are worried about resale then limit some of the options (stitching, leather options etc.) are all difficult to recoup in a sale. Although when you're ordering a $120K and you really wan't yellow seat belts I say get the seat belts and enjoy.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

All,

First post. Thank you for this friendly and very educational forum. It has taught me a bunch about Porsches the past couple months.

I have a few questions, because the order/build process for my just ordered Carrera 4 coupe moved along very quickly. Likely delivery date February 1, order freeze date is this week. This is going to be pretty much a daily driver (in Maryland), but will use another car in real snow. Some of these questions have been addressed in other threads, but some of those are older, and I am wondering about current perspectives. Feel free to comment on any or all. Your thoughts and experience are much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Scott
you are paying over $100k for a car, get the car YOU want ... black is boring get something different
Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
If you go with brown interior to match the outside (hint hint) - look at getting the steering wheel column in leather as that is black on my car and looks out of place.
http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/Leat...81-9X1L22H.htm

problem solved!!

Quick Reply: Order freeze date this week - Newbie questions