Tire replacement stress

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tire replacement stress

At 3000 miles the RR tire of my 2013 Carrera 2 took a good sized bolt in the sidewall. The original equipment was Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrico. The local Goodyear dealer could not replace it for 7 days. Porsche was my only source and replaced the tire in 3 days for an extraordinary amount. Today, at 12000 miles I took a screw one centimeter outside the most lateral tread in that same replacement tire. No tire folks would repair it. I have ordered its replacement which will take 5 days and an equally outrageous amount of money. Porsche's answer is to supply no temporary replacement tire with its cars, no jack but a bottle of goo which will seal some of the tire but kill the tire monitoring system which must be replaced after the goo is used. I have many Porsche friends who have suffered the same with severe results.

I am aware that this can be solved if I spend $1200 with Suncoast Porsche to purchase an interim tire and jack which will not fit inside the car. Suncoast is great, Porsche needs a lesson in humanity.

I will have a large legal problem if my wife is caught on a rural road with a flat tire and the Porsche-manufactured conundrum leaves her in an unacceptable condition.

Do any have an answer for flat tire defects with Porsche?

Only kind remarks will be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I will have a large legal problem if my wife is caught on a rural road with a flat tire and the Porsche-manufactured conundrum leaves her in an unacceptable condition.
If your wife was caught on a rural road with a flat tire and it had a spare on board, would she change it or call a service to do it for her? It's an honest question, I know my wife would not choose to change a tire on the side of any road.

Fact is, Ferrari started this trend when they realized a huge majority simply call a service to take care of it for them vs. choosing to change their own tire on the side of the road.

Where to put the wheel / tire that came off the car is another huge problem. Few sports cars today have room for a 295-19 or larger wheel except maybe on the roof.

As for the tire pressure system, those have to be replaced more often then not when tires are changed regardless of the goo. I've talked to a few mechanics who are absolutely fed up with those sensors falling apart when they try to remove the valve stem.

Any thoughts on switching over to run-flats?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Buy a vulcanized rubber tire plug kit.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone used the supplied tire kit successfully for say a screw or nail in the thread?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Has anyone used the supplied tire kit successfully for say a screw or nail in the thread?
Never. I'll never use it. Maybe for a proper Concours event .
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

You lost me when you talked about a legal problem. And I'm a lawyer!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Homeles
His wife will file for divorce.

I'm not a lawyer.

Happily married.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever heard of Tire Rack?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
right? I love it when people threaten legal action without a clue:
Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a couple of flats & have had to wait for a tire. The dealer has always provided a loaner.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your factory owned Goodyear dealer should be able to help, and they are much better priced than the Porsche dealer: maybe half.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
His wife will file for divorce.

I'm not a lawyer.

Happily married.

I am a lawyer.
So is my wife.
No problems with tires for us.
She does not drive my 991,

With respect to the spare tire issue, flats happen to a Porsche. Narrow sidewall and less than deep tread along, the "magnetic" force apparently exerted by the tires which attracts road junk, as well as the shi$$y road conditions prompted me to purchase tire and wheel insurance. It covers towing, wheel repair or replacement, new tire, ding and dent as well as windshield repair for 5 years no mileage limit.

In 35k miles, I've had a tire replaced (i plugged it to get me to the dealer), wheel replaced (separate incident), and ding magically removed.

Insurance cost about $1200

Insurance paid for the tire (about $400), the wheel (dealer charged $1600) and ding ($75) plus no charge Porsche loaner.

Still not going to prevent flats, but when an aluminum coat hanger is sticking out of the front tire, I was able to laugh my a$$ off as that piece of road $hit found my new Micheline PSS tire in 700 miles instead of crying in my beer.

Last edited by rnl; 08-28-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
His wife will file for divorce. I'm not a lawyer. Happily married.
That was almost a haiku.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In a somewhat related note, I just got new tires on my Mini Cooper S. It originally came with run-flats, but they are horrible, so I opted to go with a more traditional Pirelli tire. I just bought some tire slime, a plug kit, and an air compressor opting for those in case of emergency.

Now all my cars lack a spare tire! I like to live dangerously...
Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Meh. It's the price you pay for running a car like this. Guess I'm immune to it over the years, I consider both speeding tickets and frequent tire replacements like country club dues. Pay to play and all that. Same with my motorcycle tires - no spares on them, either and they only last 6,000 miles if you're taking it easy on 'em. My commercial diesel trucks I operate have no spares or jacks on them, either, there are lots of vehicles that don't.

Remember when the Acura NSX first came out? The buyers of those cars almost burned the dealerships down with angry complaints about costly tire replacement due to the specialized size and 12K miles on a set. It wasn't a Honda after all...lol

Quick Reply: Tire replacement stress