Sponsored by:

pdcc failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,442 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by 930GT1
Why is this 991 crowd throwing out the baby with the bath water? The concept of PDCC makes sense not only on the street but also on the track. I'm listening to some owners who say they knew they didn't want to track their cars and that's the reason that they didn't spec PDCC... HUH? That's exactly why I specced it! Did you know something I didn't before this s..t hit the fan?

Given that the apparent PDCC limitations appear to be software based (no one has argued otherwise, right Chuck911?), then there is no reason to believe that the Porsche engineers cannot program the PDCC load parameters to meet OR exceed the severe cornering loads that might be anticipated on ANY racetrack in the world.

"PDCC is an active anti-roll system that suppresses lateral body movement during cornering manoeuvres. In addition, it minimises the lateral instability of the vehicle on uneven ground. With the result that the car holds the road even better and performs even more dynamically."

It is therefore absurd for any 991 owner to demand any less than what would be expected from the top-of-the-line Turbo S owner. Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) is fitted as standard in the 911 Turbo S models for a reason.

PDCC is no different in application for a track car than it is for a street car. It's appears to be only a matter of degrees of programming. Look at PDK... The ONLY difference between PDK in a 991 and PDK S on a GT3 is the programming.

For all you 991 guys who think they wont need PDCC later, you're kidding yourselves! For those with PDCC who don't think they now need higher limits of programming, don't you think that your current skills on the track and street will improve over time? Come on and have some faith in yourselves....
I'm sure that PDCC programming is already parameterized depending, not only on the 'static' mode (normal, sport, sport+) selected, but also like PSM, PASM and PDEM, also dynamically based upon a variety of sensor inputs from the car.

Hence, I think if owners are experiencing 'outages' the system is experiencing an environment that exceeds the parameters Porsche engineers envisaged and codified therein (for whatever reason) ...

A good example of this is take a PASM equiped 997 around the Nordschleife, and drive 'slowly' through the Karusell, your instrument cluster will light up
like a christmas tree with PASM faults, that will not occur if you drive through
at speed.

My explanation for this is that the dynamic inputs the car is getting at low speeds dont make sense to the system, so it whigs out ...

regardless, I dont see how a PDCC owner that is experiencing these symtoms is going to get a PDCC reprogramming from Porsche unless they occur in sufficient numbers (or severity) to cause the company to investigate and rectify it.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 930GT1
Why is this 991 crowd throwing out the baby with the bath water? The concept of PDCC makes sense not only on the street but also on the track. I'm listening to some owners who say they knew they didn't want to track their cars and that's the reason that they didn't spec PDCC... HUH? That's exactly why I specced it! Did you know something I didn't before this s..t hit the fan?

Given that the apparent PDCC limitations appear to be software based (no one has argued otherwise, right Chuck911?), then there is no reason to believe that the Porsche engineers cannot program the PDCC load parameters to meet OR exceed the severe cornering loads that might be anticipated on ANY racetrack in the world.

"PDCC is an active anti-roll system that suppresses lateral body movement during cornering manoeuvres. In addition, it minimises the lateral instability of the vehicle on uneven ground. With the result that the car holds the road even better and performs even more dynamically."

It is therefore absurd for any 991 owner to demand any less than what would be expected from the top-of-the-line Turbo S owner. Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) is fitted as standard in the 911 Turbo S models for a reason.

PDCC is no different in application for a track car than it is for a street car. It's appears to be only a matter of degrees of programming. Look at PDK... The ONLY difference between PDK in a 991 and PDK S on a GT3 is the programming.

For all you 991 guys who think they wont need PDCC later, you're kidding yourselves! For those with PDCC who don't think they now need higher limits of programming, don't you think that your current skills on the track and street will improve over time? Come on and have some faith in yourselves....
I think you got this exactly right. This has all the earmarks of a complex system that has been engineered to go into a default mode in certain circumstances. I've been saying the likely cause is hitting max range, because that seems likely to me. But it could easily be some combination of inputs, or error codes.

This is like a lot of things where implementation sometimes turns out to be at least as important as design. Like the 911 itself- nobody setting out to make the world's best drivers car would ever choose a rear engine layout, but thanks to superior implementation that's what we got anyway. With PDCC design is actually in its favor. Anybody who understands suspensions knows the severe tradeoffs that come with anti-roll bars. PDCC takes a big step in the direction of erasing that tradeoff. Street or track, its a winner.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't think people are dumping on PDCC, as the system is working great within a certain range Porsche has deemed acceptable. But I do think it is a giant leap of faith that Porsche will offer an update to alleviate the the point at which the car goes in limp mode. Quite frankly, I don't think that will ever happen.

My point is I was happy I didn't add that option, as with DE'ing often at Sebring, I believe faults described in this thread would be a common occurrence.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So in summary. Works great for DD's. Smoother ride with less body roll. In extreme track conditions it may exceed it's programed limits. Best avoided in cars with heavy track use. I personally have had no issues and like it on my DD. Like all options, pick them based on what you want/need and temper that with the cars intended use. Do I have that right?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

It's odd that the 981 (gts and regular) has a "sports suspension option but the 991 doesn't. Hopefully it'll be available soon. Won't help me out any as I'm not eating a huge depreciation sandwich for some cosmetics and a few potential hp, but it's still a nice thing to be able to spec.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bacura
So in summary. Works great for DD's. Smoother ride with less body roll. In extreme track conditions it may exceed it's programed limits. Best avoided in cars with heavy track use. I personally have had no issues and like it on my DD. Like all options, pick them based on what you want/need and temper that with the cars intended use. Do I have that right?
You do. And by the way PDCC is far from the only thing on the car that is like that. Anyone setting out to develop driving skills on the track will learn this. First its tires and pads, but eventually its springs, bars, shocks, geometry- the list literally goes on and on forever. At some point you give up or run out of money (strangely enough, often simultaneously) but typically long before that you've got a car that's suitable for the track or the trailer, and nothing in between. Your car as delivered is the ultimate in between. Go with the flow!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StudGarden
It's odd that the 981 (gts and regular) has a "sports suspension option but the 991 doesn't. Hopefully it'll be available soon. Won't help me out any as I'm not eating a huge depreciation sandwich for some cosmetics and a few potential hp, but it's still a nice thing to be able to spec.
You don't count the "PASM Sport" option?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
+1 IMO
Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
You don't count the "PASM Sport" option?
The 981 sport suspension option is free for the GTS and $1300ish I think for the S. From what I've heard it's basically like PASM in sport plus mode all the time with fixed bars and shock/spring rates. It's also 20mm lower than standard. There's just no slush mode, which is fine with me.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The 981 sport suspension option is free for the GTS and $1300ish I think for the S. From what I've heard it's basically like PASM in sport plus mode all the time with fixed bars and shock/spring rates. It's also 20mm lower than standard. There's just no slush mode, which is fine with me.
its lowered, with different aero F/R, it has both Normal and Sport, not sure if the spring rates/bars differ from regular PASM ... I'm assuming there is.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:49 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Its not like PASM at all. PASM is active. Sport Suspension on the 981 is just conventional springs and shocks. Go on the configurator and you will see. Select Sport Suspension, then try to select PASM. It will indicate you must deselect Sport Suspension. PASM, Sport or otherwise, is better than any plain old shock setup. But maybe that's me getting stuck in the "Intelligent Performance" rut again. There are people who equate harsh with high performance and prefer an unnecessarily rough ride. For those people old fashioned stiff springs and shocks will be better.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its not like PASM at all. PASM is active. Sport Suspension on the 981 is just conventional springs and shocks. Go on the configurator and you will see.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. I'd like to see that option on the 991 as well. A fixed mode that replicates (or close to it) the aggressive end of PASM would be fine with me in any 911. I don't need it to ever ride like a 2+2 Lexus. PASM/sport chrono on sport plus (other than the high shift points in auto mode) is still more than enough of an acceptable street ride for every day use. It's a 911 after all.

I like keeping my cars for a long time. I'm not a car flipper and I could care less about the latest facelift so I'd love to be able to keep my 991 for a long time. Replacing quad core maglev suspension components when the time comes, however, is an intimidating prospect.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:23 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just got another warning for doing a u-turn, on public road, it was traffic so made a quick u, then lights came on, check the G meter and its not even 1 G.

I reset and drive to work, haven't got any warning over a week or so till now.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Clearly, there is something off with your system.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully not, when it light up again, I'll drive straight to the dealer.

Quick Reply: pdcc failure