Sponsored by:

pdcc failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
930GT1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weim911
Can you tell us from your g meter how many g's you were pulling? Since every post is about cornering and pdcc faults, it may be too much load in the corners for the hydraulic pump to overcome? It may also be a combination of g force and a bump or angle that the pump has to overcome in which case that's an engineering oversight. I have pulled 1.09g in my 991 C4S and not had this problem yet. Any insight?
I think you may be on to something with regard to extreme loading forces - such as found on the track. However, I'm surprised that it's also happened to others on the street. I haven't spent much time with the G Force display. With a MT, my attention on the track has been dead center on the tach rather than the MFD to the right.
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by StudGarden
It's absolutely idiotic and a huge safety issue to design a system to "let go" and turn to mush under load like that. This needs to be identified and fixed by Porsche ASAP.
Agreed. At my 1.09g I felt the rear end giggle and I have to say that if the pdcc failed I would have probably been in the guard rail - so that's why I'm wondering!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:57 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

PDCC is hydraulic, so no way the force is ever too great for it to operate. It is after all designed to pre-load the anti-roll bar. Think about it.

A more likely culprit is range of motion. According to this article by Bart at Elephant Racing PDCC has a range of 50mm. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8287...-overview.html

Ultimately, the real reason is of course product liability.

No worries, Weim. When PDCC stops like this the car handles just fine, only with more body roll. As disconcerting as this is bound to feel, it definitely will not have you sliding into the guard rail. Quite the opposite. The car will still be able to corner just as hard- harder even, more than likely- but it will feel so dramatically different that you will be unable to stop yourself from slowing down. Which I'm sure is exactly what they had in mind.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:11 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The system needs to max out load and hold if necessary. A steady state maxing out and holding is much better than shutting down mid stream, that is the worst possible scenario for a driver running the car on the edge of its limits.

I wonder if it is not so much maxing out load and really a situation where it can't handle a certain combination of inputs .We have all at one time or another hacked at the keyboard and mouse randomly and froze the computer and had to reboot the system. Instead of deflating the system it should default to stiffing up and wait for a restart to reboot.

How does the GT3 handle the same same situation it must be under more stress?

Chuck I just read your post, if I understand what you are saying it is working as designed?

Last edited by wanderfalke; 08-14-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 AM
930GT1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
The system needs to max out load and hold if necessary. It would be better if it could handle more load but maxing out and holding is much better than shutting down mid stream, that is the worst possible scenario.

I wonder if it is not so much maxing out load and really a situation where it can't handle a certain combination of inputs .

We have all at one time or another hacked at the keyboard and mouse randomly and froze the computer and had to reboot the system. Instead of deflating the system it should default to stiffing up and wait for a restart to reboot.

How does the GT3 handle the same same situation it must be under more stress.
According to AP, the 991 GT3 is so stiff (spring rates and dampening) that PDCC is not required...
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by 930GT1
According to AP, the 991 GT3 is so stiff (spring rates and dampening) that PDCC is not required...
That would be my point, to default to as close to the GT3 system as possible. I would rather have a temporary rough ride than a unexpected mushy body roll mid corner.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:54 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
The system needs to max out load and hold if necessary. A steady state maxing out and holding is much better than shutting down mid stream, that is the worst possible scenario for a driver running the car on the edge of its limits.

I wonder if it is not so much maxing out load and really a situation where it can't handle a certain combination of inputs .We have all at one time or another hacked at the keyboard and mouse randomly and froze the computer and had to reboot the system. Instead of deflating the system it should default to stiffing up and wait for a restart to reboot.

How does the GT3 handle the same same situation it must be under more stress?

Chuck I just read your post, if I understand what you are saying it is working as designed?
Right. I could've expanded several points but thought better of it. Reading subsequent comments, maybe not. There's a lot of basic suspension misunderstandings, even more regarding PDCC.

Porsche has designed the 991 as a street car- a very high performance street car much more at home on a track than most, but still a street car. As such PDCC serves both to improve handling and ride (allowing a softer bar improves ride by reducing effective spring rate) in about equal proportions. This is borne out in the fact people are having these problems only under fairly harsh extremes- for the most part max cornering combined with compressive loading.

So what are the risks? Without PDCC the car reverts to exactly the way a non-PDCC car would handle, except with a bit more body roll because the PDCC car uses a softer bar. How bad is that? Not bad at all! Of course its going to FEEL awful, like I believe it was drcollie posted, or what I described as hitting a wall of water. (He had both PDCC AND Sport+ go on him.)

Porsche could have designed PDCC to encompass track driving, but where to draw the line? Track driving with a wanna-be at the wheel? Or with an advanced driver? Track with R-comps? Slicks? Aftermarket wheels, camber, and slicks? Bear in mind, each of these choices means matching not only PDCC to expected body roll, but a whole host of related suspension parameters. Considering how many cars are tracked, how long it took for these problems to show up, and how infrequently it seems to be happening, I'd say they just about nailed it.

Now the product liability angle. They could have engineered PDCC to work right up to its max range, at which point it would just stop extending/retracting, leaving just the bar to control roll. Which if we limit ourselves to looking at cars being driven on the street (and from our point of view) would be just fine. But Porsche can't control what people do to their cars or how they drive them. Recall how many posts you've seen from people wanting to max out camber, wheels and tires, on and on. (And that's just the ones who post! Go to a track and see what shows up!) So the suits walk down the hall and say to the engineers: make it default to Normal until they shut it off.

Of course this is all conjecture. Nobody at Porsche walked me through this. Its just that, understanding suspension setup, handling and Porsche in general, its hard to see it coming out any other way.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 930GT1
***WARNING: BEWARE OF PDCC ON TRACK***

Tuesday was my 1st day at NHMS testing new C4S with 3,000 miles. I spent the first two run sessions SLOWLY ramping up my speed and by the 3rd session I was running at about 7/10's when I suddenly lost control in turn 3 near the wall as I made the hard uphill transition to the outfield course.

My suspension seemed to "let go" pitching the car suddenly. I noticed the orange PDCC fault message on the MFD: "Possible to drive on carefully". I suspect that the light may have come on exiting the prior turn which also had a hard transition between the infield and the track.

The PDCC system subsequently reset upon engine restart. However, my track days are on hold until Porsche comes up with an explanation and fix. I will have my local dealer pull the code & log the error so PAG has a record.
This is exactly what I have experienced a few times now at NJMP Thunderbolt in the Octopus, and at the Glen either in T9 (the "off-camber") or T10. Very disconcerting when at speed.
Can you tell us from your g meter how many g's you were pulling? Since every post is about cornering and pdcc faults, it may be too much load in the corners for the hydraulic pump to overcome? It may also be a combination of g force and a bump or angle that the pump has to overcome in which case that's an engineering oversight. I have pulled 1.09g in my 991 C4S and not had this problem yet. Any insight?
A check of my G meter reveals peaks of 1.30G for left-hand turns and 1.59G for right-hand turns.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
930GT1
Rennlist Member

Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM
930GT1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Right. I could've expanded several points but thought better of it. Reading subsequent comments, maybe not. There's a lot of basic suspension misunderstandings, even more regarding PDCC.

Porsche has designed the 991 as a street car- a very high performance street car much more at home on a track than most, but still a street car. As such PDCC serves both to improve handling and ride (allowing a softer bar improves ride by reducing effective spring rate) in about equal proportions. This is borne out in the fact people are having these problems only under fairly harsh extremes- for the most part max cornering combined with compressive loading.

So what are the risks? Without PDCC the car reverts to exactly the way a non-PDCC car would handle, except with a bit more body roll because the PDCC car uses a softer bar. How bad is that? Not bad at all! Of course its going to FEEL awful, like I believe it was drcollie posted, or what I described as hitting a wall of water. (He had both PDCC AND Sport+ go on him.)

Porsche could have designed PDCC to encompass track driving, but where to draw the line? Track driving with a wanna-be at the wheel? Or with an advanced driver? Track with R-comps? Slicks? Aftermarket wheels, camber, and slicks? Bear in mind, each of these choices means matching not only PDCC to expected body roll, but a whole host of related suspension parameters. Considering how many cars are tracked, how long it took for these problems to show up, and how infrequently it seems to be happening, I'd say they just about nailed it.

Now the product liability angle. They could have engineered PDCC to work right up to its max range, at which point it would just stop extending/retracting, leaving just the bar to control roll. Which if we limit ourselves to looking at cars being driven on the street (and from our point of view) would be just fine. But Porsche can't control what people do to their cars or how they drive them. Recall how many posts you've seen from people wanting to max out camber, wheels and tires, on and on. (And that's just the ones who post! Go to a track and see what shows up!) So the suits walk down the hall and say to the engineers: make it default to Normal until they shut it off.

Of course this is all conjecture. Nobody at Porsche walked me through this. Its just that, understanding suspension setup, handling and Porsche in general, its hard to see it coming out any other way.
So your conjecture sounds like you are basically saying that Porsche does NOT intend for the 991 WITH PDCC to be driven on the track?

REALLY? You seem OK with this... WOW!!!

Come on, please... This is crazy... Where is the warning NOT to use it on the track? Porsche needs to address a different hardware or software design, plain and simple!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

I have a CS4 that has my back when I push the limits (it covers my lack of track experience).In critical situations I want to have a predictable response, the car may be able to handle a sudden change but I would the the weak link especially the first time it failed.

930 gti guy you should have waited to post those big numbers who wants to post after that entry. :-}

I wonder how many people here bundle the ceramic brakes with the PDCC for the track. Having that warning pop up would be discouraging after spending a extra 10 k.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PDCC and PCCB. To be honest, I ordered both since I have no plans on tracking this car. I love both on my DD.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:22 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chuck is correct about the cornering g-force, driving in the city, I barely get 1.04 g,

I just got another failure 3 days ago which I check the meter and it show .9 g.

He is also correct that the 991, even with pdcc failure, drives fine, only major diff is the sports plus can't be turn on. Other than that, it drives normal like any other time without the sport plus activated.

Like I said in other post, sometime it happen, sometime it doesn't. I tried repeatedly go thru the same corner few times in the same manner on the same day that I have the pdcc failure to try to duplicate it again but it won't.

So there, I could live with it but....its just not right.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

It can not be working as designed if you are getting the red warning on the dash or can it?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll give it little more time and see how often it comes on and start log and take pics.

Gonna jack it up and just do thorough check underneath, before I take it in, make sure nothing is out of place or worn/damaged. I just have a vibe everytime I take my vehicle in for service to dealer, any dealer, because of past experience and the things I know now.

Quick Reply: pdcc failure