Sponsored by:

Woodchuck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Woodchuck!

Yesterday I was reading a thread over in the track section of the forum about a gruesome deer collision involving a 911 at Summit Point. Ironically, not 20 minutes later I went out for my second session of the day at Watkins Glen and encountered this critter while coming in hot to the toe of the boot. Luckily, the little guy committed and scooted across just in time. Made me miss the apex, though.

You'll see him at the 20 second mark.

Here's a clip of a couple of good laps. I ended up getting a third camera to mount on the windshield to eliminate the overexposure problem I was getting with the rollbar-mounted forward camera.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.

Last Sunday my wife & I were driving home from Pebble Beach and just north of Roseburg, OR (just after dusk and in a narrow section of I5 where there is only a Jersey barrier between north & southbound lanes).

In the Cayenne GTS, cruising at a steady 85 mph and suddenly at the outer limit of my low beams is a FAWN! standing sideways in the middle of the road!!! Looking at the Jersey barrier as if, "Hey, how'd my mother get over that big cement thing?"

Instantly lifted, tapped the brake and bounced the car to the right. The fawn calmly took one step to the left and I missed him, although I'm sure I brushed his tail.

Took about 20 minutes for our hearts to stop pounding.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

What is going on with animals lately? Friday cruising along at 75, 5' from the shoulder of the road was a 30lb turkey. Thank god he didn't take off!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 446 Likes on 291 Posts

Nice driving at the track.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, that was close! That's the popular part of the track for critters.

Did you get some better lap times this trip?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I feel strangely compelled to post something here. Can't quite put my finger on it...
Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit a huge male turkey a couple months back going 55MPH. The bastard dropped out of a tree on top of my hood--I didn't have a chance. He nailed the A pillar on the passenger side and rolled up and over. Good thing it was my truck and NOT my 991. His beak was smashed into the paint and it scratched up the truck a little, but nothing major (lots of snot and feathers)--Couldn't believe the windshield didn't break. If I was in the 991, I would have went on a rampage and killed every fcking bird for miles.
Be safe everyone, the animals are starting to fight back, haha!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpeed
I hit a huge male turkey a couple months back going 55MPH. The bastard dropped out of a tree on top of my hood--I didn't have a chance. He nailed the A pillar on the passenger side and rolled up and over. Good thing it was my truck and NOT my 991. His beak was smashed into the paint and it scratched up the truck a little, but nothing major (lots of snot and feathers)--Couldn't believe the windshield didn't break. If I was in the 991, I would have went on a rampage and killed every fcking bird for miles.

""If I was in the 991, I would have went on a rampage and killed every fcking bird for miles."

Lol.

You said it! No doubt!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I knew there was a reason I carry the 9mm in the car.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Wow.

Last Sunday my wife & I were driving home from Pebble Beach and just north of Roseburg, OR (just after dusk and in a narrow section of I5 where there is only a Jersey barrier between north & southbound lanes).

In the Cayenne GTS, cruising at a steady 85 mph and suddenly at the outer limit of my low beams is a FAWN! standing sideways in the middle of the road!!! Looking at the Jersey barrier as if, "Hey, how'd my mother get over that big cement thing?"

Instantly lifted, tapped the brake and bounced the car to the right. The fawn calmly took one step to the left and I missed him, although I'm sure I brushed his tail.

Took about 20 minutes for our hearts to stop pounding.

Originally Posted by Homeles
What is going on with animals lately? Friday cruising along at 75, 5' from the shoulder of the road was a 30lb turkey. Thank god he didn't take off!
Could have been an early Thanksgiving.
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Nice driving at the track.
Thanks. Love the Glen.
Originally Posted by ny991
Wow, that was close! That's the popular part of the track for critters.

Did you get some better lap times this trip?
Managed to get my best lap time at the Glen so far--2:17.47. Definitely traffic-dependent. This event was run by Riesentoter PCA. Good group of people, but this event was over-booked in my opinion. There were something like 40+ cars in my white run group. The Glen is long at 3.4 miles, but that's just too many cars. Lots of trains, and some poor point-by behavior (not giving one on the straights, and then finally giving one as we approached a turn). There were something like 6 or 7 car-vs-Armco incidents during the weekend, the most I've ever seen.
By the third session on Sunday, many people had packed up and gone home, so the track cleared considerably and I was able to do some consistently fast laps (at least fast for me).
I'm a bit surprised, though, that so far my best Glen time in the 911 is only 2 seconds faster than my best time in my former car, a 2011 M3. I ran R-comps on the M3, so that certainly gave an advantage to the BMW, but I still expected the 911 to be significantly faster. I checked out a few YouTube videos of 997 GT3 drivers at the Glen to get a sense of how I'm doing. One 2010 GT3 driver was doing 2:06s. That's a full 11 seconds quicker than me! I compared our terminal velocities at various points on the track, and they're actually quite close--we're both doing about 145 mph just before braking for the Bus Stop, and both hitting 110 mph in the sole of the boot before braking for the heel. So I'm not quite sure where he!s picking up all that extra time--maybe just consistently quicker in corners, and he's probably on Hoosiers. Any comments and suggestions welcome.
Originally Posted by BlackSpeed
Turkey dropped out of a tree? That's one of the signs of the Apocalypse!

Quick Reply: Woodchuck!