Any regrets with PDK over MT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 PM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any regrets with PDK over MT?

We are drilling down on a 911 50th.

Would prefer (I think) a MT. Challenge is that dealers have almost ALL PDKs in graphite grey.

If we can't find a MT GG 50th we may have to be OK with a PDK...any regrets?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Oh ****!!!! The over/under is 7 pages.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

No regrets on my 981S. Looking forward to having it on my next RS as well.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Oh ****!!!! The over/under is 7 pages.
Over by +5
Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Like Lex said. !

Oh chit!

I'm an old school E30 BMW type of ******* and I love my PDK and wouldn't trade it.

This deserves that quote from the Hindenburg crash announcer.. "Oh the humanity!"
Old 07-27-2014, 11:15 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
We are drilling down on a 911 50th.

Would prefer (I think) a MT. Challenge is that dealers have almost ALL PDKs in graphite grey.

If we can't find a MT GG 50th we may have to be OK with a PDK...any regrets?
Look at any of the hundreds of comments about the pros/cons of each.

Personally I had a very open mind and am buying the car to enjoy driving. After about 5 minutes of the PDK I found it to be extremely boring and kept reaching for the real gearshift that wasn't there.

I was in the same boat as far as not being able to find a dealer near me w/a MT and the specs I wanted, so I configured the exact car I wanted online and it was definitely worth the wait. I would definitely regret not having a MT in a sports car more than anything else. My opinion is you shouldn't settle for a $4k option that you don't want simply b/c no dealer's have it in stock.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Look at any of the hundreds of comments about the pros/cons of each.

Personally I had a very open mind and am buying the car to enjoy driving. After about 5 minutes of the PDK I found it to be extremely boring and kept reaching for the real gearshift that wasn't there.

I was in the same boat as far as not being able to find a dealer near me w/a MT and the specs I wanted, so I configured the exact car I wanted online and it was definitely worth the wait. I would definitely regret not having a MT in a sports car more than anything else. My opinion is you shouldn't settle for a $4k option that you don't want simply b/c no dealer's have it in stock.

And there you have it. Like Max said, if you want an MT order it. If you can't find a 50th with a MT in the color you want well...

Thank God we don't have a 3rd option for trans in the 911. That would really be an awful rich guys problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Unlike regular production 911's, the 911_50 is an homage that combines select classic aesthetics of the past with today's modern technology. One transmission is quite a bit more consistent with that theme than the other.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

I don't regret the PDK, but miss the manual like hell. It's really a dilemma, because both are equally good. However, for daily driver, I think the manual gives you more, since you are not fighting for the best lap time, but you want to have the most fun / involvement...not sure I am helping you so I will stop it here
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

I occasionally look for the clutch pedal with my foot in my car. I also reach for the left paddle to downshift in my other car so I guess I can't win!

On Chuck's notes... one would think that Porsche would have built more 50's with manual trans just because. You know?

Houndstooth. Manual trans. Slight hint of gas smell during spirited driving. ?

Wound't have that been perfect for the 50th? Lol
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 465 Posts

I have the PDK, and it's the first two pedal car I've owned in over 50 years. I positively LOVE IT!!! As long as I continue to own a Porsche they will all be the PDK.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:07 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

I don't regret the PDK at all. The paddle shifters feel so good that you can drive around 'in manual' all day if you want, or just leave it in sport and let the PDK do its magic. Is it ever in the wrong gear? - pretty much no.

The only thing you are missing is the coordination with your foot and the clutch. Honestly, I think I'm a good driver and it's not always easy to coordinate these two. Regularly on a track or autocross I would avoid gear changes (say 3rd to 4th or 2nd to 3rd) because the time it took to do the change, I would be at a corner when I needed to change again. Also, the risk of a missed (expensive shift) is always in the back of your mind. Same with either letting the clutch out too slowly and heating it up, or letting it out too quick and jolting the car - I don't miss either. Same with letting people drive your car (which I enjoy doing) - this is a lot more risky with a manual gearbox - it's pretty easy to go from say 5th to 2nd on a highway instead of 4th and 'pop' goes your engine...

The 991 was really designed for the PDK. The manual was an afterthought, no review likes the shift pattern - 1,3,5 and 7 all right next to each other... There is pretty much no weight savings either.

When you get the PDK, just make sure you get the paddles, a lot of dealers optioned the multi-function wheel with it's 'switches' - it will cost you ~$1,000 to go back to paddles...

The '911_50 is an homage...' - seriously? It's basically a marketing model which happens to be a way of getting a lot of good options, like the power kit and not having depreciation make them all worth $0 in 2-3 years.

Andy
Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was so late to the 50th party that finding a car was a challenge in itself. I was not so fussed about the gearbox, other options such as colour, pepita, sunroof & rear wiper delete were more important to me than choice if g/box. At the end of the day both share the same internals, one is faster & more economical while the other has a classic feel to it. I guess what I am saying is don't reduce the car to a gearbox, its just another option which may not even be an option for you as there were only 3-4 manuals left in states a couple of weeks ago.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I was on my way to buy a use GT3RS in 09 and I stopped by the dealer to see their new PDK.
I drove it and was blown away. I bought it on the spot Now I have a new 991 50 and I am SO glad its
a PDK!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh nooo.....the subject everyone loves...

I have to admit, I like the PDK.
I do regret not havimg a manual, when people look at the car and say "you got an automatic?!?"

Then I fimd myself defending it as a dual clutch manual that is shifted by computer....
At that point I realize I sold out : /

There is no clear cut right choice.
Ill say only that I am a little worried about manuals, with the reports of clutch pedals sticking to the floor.

Quick Reply: Any regrets with PDK over MT?