Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you machine wax your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The Adam's guy is using a sheet of water, but notice when he's done there's no less water on the car than before. The whole idea is to have all the water flow off the car in one sheet. In this video it worked on the glass (Rain-X?) but not on any of the paint. In another Adam's video, how to dry after washing, the car has water all over it. If they knew how to sheet rinse there'd be virtually no water left to towel off. And these guys are telling the world this is how its done??

This "AMMO" guy is one of the very few videos I have found where the guy really knows what he's doing.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:59 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the Adams u tube goes is the way it works for me . I always assumed that it was not working because too much water was left behind in sheets.Heck i can do that. I certainly would not post a video with that much water left behind.

This from a guy who uses their products.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ammo guy is the guy I was talking about from NY. He really know his stuff and his passion and expertise show in all the videos I have seen.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry does very good work. Seen it 1st hand. Very expensive too, but he's booked, so I guess hes charging mkt value.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by JamesKen
The Ammo guy is the guy I was talking about from NY. He really know his stuff and his passion and expertise show in all the videos I have seen.
Although I don't detail much I really enjoy his videos. Cool dude.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Money2536
Organic Unclear Bra!
LMFAO!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

People are afraid that they will remove a significant amount of the clear by polishing or using swirl remover and that simply is not the case. If you use an abrasive rubbing compound you can possibly do some damage with an orbital polisher but using a random orbital polisher and swirl remover will not remove anything worth commenting about. You are trying to remove swirls which are microscopic scratches in the paint and are only noticeable with light reflecting off of them at angle that you can see. Swirl remover has a very slight abrasiveness to it and some polishes do as well but most polishes are used to protect the surface. Some people say that they can see a better reflection off of wax but I don't buy it. Remember, you are polishing or waxing the clear coat not the color surface which was the case many years ago. Fact is, most cars today have significant orange peel and that to my eye is far worse but there really is nothing you can do about it if it is in the color coat and clear coat is over it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes, even though your car is brand new you still need to clay, polish and wax!
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. This is so wrong on so many levels.

It's a new car, it's not going to have any dirt to clay off, and polishing won't do any good because it's already been polished at the factory and probably at the dealer as well.

Originally Posted by TheAnswer
I already hit something on a road that scratched my bumper a bit maybe the opticoat would have protected it
No, as noted by others, the opti-stuff will not protect against rocks and stuff. It's just a sealant.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
For me Opti-Coat gives me that nice shine and glossy patina without having to pay for a wax job every month (or two).
For those of us who DIY, waxing isn't a big deal. I'd never considered paying someone to wash and/or wax my car, but that may be because
a) I'm cheap
b) I'm quite OCD
c) See "a" above

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Opti-coat is great stuff... [but] To me it doesn't look as good as wax ... [but] super easy initial application if directions are followed.
I concur.

I generally machine wax the bigger cars, but something as small as the 911 I apply the wax by hand and depending on how hot it is in the garage, I'll use the machine polisher to buff it out or just do it by hand.

I also like many of the Griot products for cleaning and polishing, but for wax I use Meguiar's #26.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJBird993

I generally machine wax the bigger cars, but something as small as the 911 I apply the wax by hand and depending on how hot it is in the garage, I'll use the machine polisher to buff it out or just do it by hand.

I also like many of the Griot products for cleaning and polishing, but for wax I use Meguiar's #26.
I watched the Griot's video and they said something like machine waxing is like waxing by hand 100 to 1, meaning the machine gets the wax more into the paint or something like that.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

Just had my detailer apply Pinnacle Diamond ceramic coating to my black (non-metallic) Cayenne. Got tired of constant minor scratches, and he claims this will help protect against it. We'll see how it holds up. See next post for products he's used on my other cars.
Attached Images  
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 PM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

My detailer used Hi Def 2 Wax Formula on these. On frequency - for me every two to three months. In summer (Texas) no more than two months.
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 AM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigdogtex
My detailer used Hi Def 2 Wax Formula on these. On frequency - for me every two to three months. In summer (Texas) no more than two months.
Looks great bigdog, mesmerizing!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAnswer
I watched the Griot's video and they said something like machine waxing is like waxing by hand 100 to 1, meaning the machine gets the wax more into the paint or something like that.
I haven't seen the video, but taking what you said literally, it's horse-pooey. I get so when I read these product descriptions and things like "nourishes the paint" and "replenishes essential oils" which is all a bunch of crap. Clear coat is so hard and totally dry that nothing is going to nourish it nor does it have any oils to be replenished.

They can claim that it "bonds at the microscopic level" but that's true about everything except the unequivocal love from a dog, which is on a more basic level of "if you throw the ball I'll worship you forever or until I'm hungry".

rant off.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding what a new car needs, I would wash it ,then put a baggie on your hand and gently sweep it across the painted surfaces. If it feels smooth then wax or seal it. If your feel a rough texture then you need to clay bar the surface. I have gotten new cars that discolored the clay bar .

I really have no way to know about all the marketing claims about microscopic bonding ect. But if bee pollen and other contaminants are sticking to the paint it is time to seal or wax. I think this is a very real world sit of the pants decision making process.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

I have all the Griot's stuff I will try it out next week. The car doesn't need a polish yet so I'm going to hold off on that until I see some noticeable swirl/scratch marks. I'm going to clay it with the speed shine then wax it and let it set... maybe do a 2nd coat of wax then after that dries for a few hours wipe it off with the spray on wax to help get it off easier.

Quick Reply: How often do you machine wax your 911?