Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets going with a PDK tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any regrets going with a PDK tranny??

I've never yet had the pleasure of driving a Porsche equipped with a PDK transmission, hopefully in the next week or two.
I was just curious if any of you, who historically drove manual transmissions and bought a PDK, regretted going with the PDK, due to it not being as involving for the driver as a traditional manual tranny?
I've seen all the videos and accolades regarding the PDK, I'm just afraid I might get bored quickly.
I spoke to a friend who has a Mercedes with a paddle shift tranny and he said that he leaves it in auto mode 90% of the time.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

There are many threads with testimonials from manual users who switched to PDK and love it, as well as opinions from people who don't. I drove manuals for decades, got PDK on my 997.2 S and wouldn't go back. I think some people who put down PDK haven't driven it enough to explore all of it's features and advantages. All due respect to your friend's Mercedes, but PDK is a different animal. Bored with it? After almost 4 years, no way.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few threads out there on this question. I like using all hands and feet. But clearly the PDK will get you there faster.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 90% comment is true. 90% of the time you don't want a stick. The other 10% shift it manually in sport plus mode and be impressed
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As for the actual operation of the PDK, is it true that unlike the BMW DCT tranny (which I have now in my M3 convertible), that even when the car is in the true auto mode / position, you can start using the paddles at any time and the car is now in true manual mode? Only difference is that once you stop shifting, the car will then simply revert back to the auto mode? if so, that is quite a cool feature. On the M3, if in auto, you pull a paddle, it puts it in a reduced manual mode, and stays there. If you want auto again, you now have to toggle the DCT shifter. Somewhat annoying.

Also, on the PDK, you can simply move the lever to the complete left, and then be in permanent manual mode, right?

Lastly, I assume that sport plus works the same whether in auto/manual model, or pure manual mode?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Farside
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 997.1 with a sports shifter. once the geabox is warm it is a pleasure to use and brings a real smile to my face. I have only owned MT cars over the past 15 years but have had access to automatic cars through family.

The past weekend i had a 997.2 loaner from the dealer with sports chrono option. It was really amazing to use, completely different from other automatics/tiptronics. I enjoyed it just as much as my MT, but for different reasons.

However i only used it with the sports setting activated as i found it unresponsive in the standard mode.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I've never yet had the pleasure of driving a Porsche equipped with a PDK transmission, hopefully in the next week or two.
I was just curious if any of you, who historically drove manual transmissions and bought a PDK, regretted going with the PDK, due to it not being as involving for the driver as a traditional manual tranny?
I've seen all the videos and accolades regarding the PDK, I'm just afraid I might get bored quickly.
I spoke to a friend who has a Mercedes with a paddle shift tranny and he said that he leaves it in auto mode 90% of the time.
Involvement seems to me something beyond transmission choice. Any 991 is so flexible that you can optionally use two gears in the 7 speed manual 90% of the time. PDK, (especially in combination with the Sport Chrono option that adds a third mode of gear change and engine mappings), offers optional levels of involvement that can be called boring only by those who don't have them. PDK has advanced significantly in the new cars too. .
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
As for the actual operation of the PDK, is it true that unlike the BMW DCT tranny (which I have now in my M3 convertible), that even when the car is in the true auto mode / position, you can start using the paddles at any time and the car is now in true manual mode? Only difference is that once you stop shifting, the car will then simply revert back to the auto mode? if so, that is quite a cool feature. On the M3, if in auto, you pull a paddle, it puts it in a reduced manual mode, and stays there. If you want auto again, you now have to toggle the DCT shifter. Somewhat annoying.

Also, on the PDK, you can simply move the lever to the complete left, and then be in permanent manual mode, right?

Lastly, I assume that sport plus works the same whether in auto/manual model, or pure manual mode?
Yes you can pull a paddle to go into manual and it reverts back in time.

Yes putting the shifter left locks it in manual.

The thing to remember is that without the sport button pushed in manual or automatic the shifts are less aggressive. In sport they become more aggressive. In sport plus the shifts (in manual or automatic) and automatic shift points are very aggressive. When in sport plus on the street I keep it in manual because the the PDK automatic shift point selection if super aggressive. More suited to the track or if you are going a bit crazy for the street.

I believe the PDK will cost less over time also, barring big failures it should not need a clutch for most people over the life of the vehicle.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This "thing" about transmissions is going to keep being beaten into the ground until manuals aren't offered anymore. Then a whole new round of beatings will start up anew.
I like three pedal manuals, PDK isn't on my radar, but I don't care if/why anyone wants one. YOU need to decide which transmission makes you happy.

I have wondered why PDK is $4080 on the 911 and $3200 on the Boxster/Cayman. Absolutely no differences that I can discern, just the Porsche Tax at work again.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

That extra gear on the 911 vs Cayman's 6.

Seriously though, it's the 'old' PDK box right?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by mtbscott
This "thing" about transmissions is going to keep being beaten into the ground until manuals aren't offered anymore. Then a whole new round of beatings will start up anew.
I like three pedal manuals, PDK isn't on my radar, but I don't care if/why anyone wants one. YOU need to decide which transmission makes you happy.

I have wondered why PDK is $4080 on the 911 and $3200 on the Boxster/Cayman. Absolutely no differences that I can discern, just the Porsche Tax at work again.
Exactly! Nice that Porsche still offers both!

re 981 vs 991 costs- I think the 981 PDK is 7 speed, and its hard to imagine that it is different mechanically given the rest of the common parts.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
re 981 vs 991 costs- I think the 981 PDK is 7 speed, and its hard to imagine that it is different mechanically given the rest of the common parts.
Exactly. (981 is also 7 speed PDK, only the 6 speed manual is a carryover) If there are any differences at all it's in software programming (although I can't imagine what or why it would be), so they're charging an extra $1K in the 911 because people will pay it.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 80 Posts

997/987 PDKs were 7 speed too. Don't think that a 6 speed PDK exists in a production car.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Exactly. (981 is also 7 speed PDK, only the 6 speed manual is a carryover) If there are any differences at all it's in software programming (although I can't imagine what or why it would be), so they're charging an extra $1K in the 911 because people will pay it.
You're certain that all the parts in the PDK that goes into the 265 hp/2954lb car are the exact same parts used in the 400hp/3120lb car?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuck911
You're certain that all the parts in the PDK that goes into the 265 hp/2954lb car are the exact same parts used in the 400hp/3120lb car?
Or because its so much bigger? Wait! Maybe I got a tranny part from the Panamera S (to go with the ... never mind).

Quick Reply: Any regrets going with a PDK tranny??