Sponsored by:

"911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_r2r
Porsche 911 has to grow in size to accomodate fat americans.
NOT.

Recaro is already doing that with seat sizes...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
And you gloss the fact that the french arrested the Porsches to pick their brains and steal car designs, under the collaboration cannard, forgetting that the same Porsches save many people from the **** atrocities..
And it gets better...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_r2r
Porsche 911 has to grow in size to accomodate fat americans.
Have you seen the size of German tourists these days? (especially from Bayern)
I think thou dost protest too much.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

From these latest pics, I like the overall look albeit it's a bit stocky- that can work to its advantage as well as be a disadvantage; what I DON'T like as I said before, is I don't like the increase in overall size. It it getting to close to GT territory, IMHO.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by winkingchef
"Fat" knows no borders.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Basically, I agree with you. My observation is that the younger crowd is not as interested in cars, in general ( this is, of course, a generalization!). It seems that video games and hand held devices rule the day. There are so many different cars and different distractions available today. I also agree that the 911 is desired largely by older drivers. My intellect tells me the Boxster is the better value. My heart says "this is what you always wanted since you were 16 years old in 1969!" I believe that many folks have high expectations of luxury for cars in this price range. Think about the perceived value of the Panamera vs. the 911. The 911 is relatively raw compared to many of its competitors. I think that Porsche has to deal with all of the above. Not so easy when there are a number of competitors.
I disagree. A lot of 20 and 30 somethings are avid car fanatics. Video games and car enthusiasm are not mutually exclusive, looks at the success of games such as Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5. I love driving my C2S and I love playing GT5. It's the closest I'll ever get to doing hot laps at Tsukuba and Suzuka. I'm no spring chicken but myself and 2 of my best friends are all in our mid-30s driving 997s.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Interesting to read everyone's responses.

I'm in my mid 30's and I'll be in the market for a new fun car next year. Yeah there are far fewer people my age that are into cars and it seems with every new generation the desire for fun sporty cars further declines.

Having said that I'm leanings towards a Boxster or a Miata at the moment. The Spyder is my preference as it embodies everything I would want in a pure sports car. Enough power (not too much), great handling, minimized excess and beautiful. Price and depreciation are the only two downsides. The Miata doesn't have quite enough power but more than makes up for it in the handling and shifting. It's not nearly as beautiful but for less than half the price and half the overall depreciation it remains a consideration.

I did consider the 911 briefly and it does have a few advantages including back seats for the kids and better resale over the long term but the reality is that my kids hardly ever go on drives with me and I really don't need the extra space. I haven't drive an modern 911 so I can't comment how its handling compares to a current Boxster but judging by what others here and elsewhere have said, the Boxster isn't as lively as the 911 but it is very connected to your inputs.

I think the Cayman is what the older 911 used to be and it's hard to argue that when you look at the overall dimensions of the car. Now if they would restyle the back so it looked nicer I think it would be a huge hit!
Can't go wrong with any of those choices. The guys having the most fun at AutoX here are driving modded Miatas. I'd definitely give the 997 a look though, as soon as I turned 30 I had my eyes set on procuring a 911.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
I have lived in Germany for a number of years........believe me, Americans are fatter and there are many more that are fat compared to Germans.

Last edited by Fahrer; 12-23-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:45 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
That's one thing that killed my wife's interest in the Panamera is the ungodly HUGE center console. Considering they are somewhat replicating that in the 991 isn't exactly giving me grins...
I agree, they should keep it open, like on Ferraris.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

The characteristic humpback on the 997 is now gone--more like the older 911s in the back end. More of a drop off on the back.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:58 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texas911
I agree, they should keep it open, like on Ferraris.
They're using the same floor structure for both the C2 and the C4, so they need room for the driveshaft to the front wheels. May as well cover it with a centre console. Mid engined Ferraris don't come with four wheel drive so they have extra space. The Gallardo also has a centre console, just one from an Audi A4.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:24 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by zanwar
They're using the same floor structure for both the C2 and the C4, so they need room for the driveshaft to the front wheels. May as well cover it with a centre console. Mid engined Ferraris don't come with four wheel drive so they have extra space. The Gallardo also has a centre console, just one from an Audi A4.
They could certainly keep it leaner than what they are planning...
Old 12-24-2010, 01:34 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 993 also had a drive shaft for the C4 and it has an open dash. I think its by design rather than need.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
I disagree. A lot of 20 and 30 somethings are avid car fanatics. Video games and car enthusiasm are not mutually exclusive, looks at the success of games such as Forza 3 and Gran Turismo 5. I love driving my C2S and I love playing GT5. It's the closest I'll ever get to doing hot laps at Tsukuba and Suzuka. I'm no spring chicken but myself and 2 of my best friends are all in our mid-30s driving 997s.
I'm in my late 40s and I still love to play those games.

BTW, I'm extremely disappointed with Gran Turismo 5. It's a solid driving game, but 6 years in the making, I expected so much more. The biggest disappointement was not that it didn't contain Porsches, but the tracks and (non-premium) standard cars are poorly rendered compared Forza 3 or even Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. And they didn't even bother to add any of the 997 based RUF cars.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:08 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I'm in my late 40s and I still love to play those games.

BTW, I'm extremely disappointed with Gran Turismo 5. It's a solid driving game, but 6 years in the making, I expected so much more. The biggest disappointement was not that it didn't contain Porsches, but the tracks and (non-premium) standard cars are poorly rendered compared Forza 3 or even Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. And they didn't even bother to add any of the 997 based RUF cars.
And, wait... let me guess... the game was filled with.... wait for it....

RICERS A PLENTY???

Quick Reply: "911 has become the BMW 5 Series of sports cars"