Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Net Worth

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

I have payed cash for many boats threw out my life. My last boat burned 5 gallons/ mile @ cruise, 400 qts of oil for an oil change. Trust me depreciation on TTS is nothing compare to boat ownership.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:05 AM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcomegna
In my opinions it's quite simple:

If you have enough disposable income to purchase the car outright without any type of loan/financing then it's a good purchase.

I do not think financing a toy (from cars to ATV's, snow machines, boats) is ever a logical choice, along with furniture, electronics, and so on.

Net worth is negligible.
So basically, never finance anything other than a home...Must be nice. Money is cheap these days why fork over $200k in cash when you can get financing at 2%. Taking that $200k and sticking it in a 5 year fund will probably give you a return of 5%, what's wrong with that equation?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
You know what I mean.

5 page thread on the financial wisdom of making a stupid financial decision.

Buying a 911 Turbo is never smart money. No matter how much money you make.

But that's ok... Personally, I make nothing but sober, responsible decisions all day long. I've earned the right to be stupid once in a while.
+1
Old 02-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by GTsilber
So basically, never finance anything other than a home...Must be nice. Money is cheap these days why fork over $200k in cash when you can get financing at 2%. Taking that $200k and sticking it in a 5 year fund will probably give you a return of 5%, what's wrong with that equation?
As long as it's not applied to everything you own, and you're liquid enough to pay it all off at a moments notice. That said, a lot of folks aren't. Which means they have to pick and choose which items to finance and which ones not to finance. And toys should be at the bottom of the list.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:56 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
As long as it's not applied to everything you own, and you're liquid enough to pay it all off at a moments notice. That said, a lot of folks aren't. Which means they have to pick and choose which items to finance and which ones not to finance. And toys should be at the bottom of the list.
Why would you ever need to pay everything you own off at a moments notice?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
Why would you ever need to pay everything you own off at a moments notice?
Because that's how it works. I'll let those with a financial background chime in, but there's a certain amount of liquidity that folks should have to meet their needs. But basic transaction fundamentals say that if someone is selling something, you pay for it when the transaction occurs. Even when financing it, the payment is made, usually in totality (doesn't have to be) by the financier. Just because you are paying incrementally, doesn't mean the seller didn't get paid in full. In that case, you are using someone else's money because:

1) You don't have the money, or,
2) You are going to use leverage/investing to get a greater return.

If 1, then you should just save up instead. Especially on a toy
If 2, then you want to be careful about not being over extended. Leverage is a tool, not without risk. Taking on risk can be good, but not too much. It's a balance. Generally speaking, risking investments, stocks, real estate, is at the top of the list of priorities, whereas businesses are next, followed by other assets. Toys are usually at the bottom of the list, which means that if you're already so illiquid (is that a word), it doesn't make sense to finance a toy.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
unkiemotorhead
Intermediate

Yup, I agree.

I am by no means a large dollar player. But the evidence to date says I have a clue.

We know some personally, and have read about many others, who were over-leveraged such that when they had unexpected cash/liquidity needs (lost employment, cash needed to cover calamities, economy contraction, whatever) they had to liquidate leveraged assets at lower prices, often resulting in COMPLETE loss of equity or even negative equity. Some have lost EVERYTHING. oops.

Low-cost debt is fine for leverage investing, as long as the downside risk is understood. And as we know, humans are not at all wired to comprehend down side financial (or other) risks very well, hence the problem with debt levels and down side......we don't always access that correctly.

I have taken a somewhat conservative road by buying toys with cash. Always. Debt went to assets likely to appreciate over the long run, and the debt was at levels that I could cover with assets or cash flow in the event of unexpected down side events. Which means I had lower-cost toys for a portion of my life until I got to a point where the opportunity cost of money for the toy price was no long relevant, and I could afford a partial or total loss as a measure of affordability (yeah, I know, I have insurance too).

For illustrative sake, the S&P500 rolling decade average returns are sort of in the 10%/year range +/-. Use whatever numbers you have for whatever assets you enjoy. So the long-term (decades) opportunity cost of my $200k TS is $20k/yr sort of ignoring taxes. And I accept that cost as well as depreciation and excess operating costs (I like wearing out tires and brakes), because my debt level is where I want it, and because the debt is not against toys, and because net worth + cash flow has sufficient cushion such that if I had to walk away from the $200k it would have no impact on my standard of living for the rest of my life. Or something like that. If a financial hit that size is a concern, perhaps a lower cost toy might be more appropriate for a bit of time yet. I'm just sayin.....
Old 02-12-2017, 05:00 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

We have all have different tolerance levels for risk and debt. Some pay all cash, some take advantage or low interest rates to optimize cash flow, time value, etc.

I suspect a sensible recommendation is somewhere in between. I plan to pay down 60% and finance the rest at ~2%.

If the world turned upside down, I would be able to pay everything off - house, cars, etc - and be ok. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd be ok.

Whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 PM
TampaTurbo
7th Gear

Great conversation.
And I'm impressed at how respectful and thoughtful everyone here has been.
As for me, the purchased pained me because of how financially conservative I am. I did the same calculation as others. How much will it cost me every year to drive this (factoring everything). How much would it cost me with a conservative car. How much do I enjoy it. Will it really make a big dent given my income, debt and assets. In the end, it made sense in the quality of life/cost x risk ratio. I smile every time I drive to work. And I know life is short.

Last edited by TampaTurbo; 02-23-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-03-2017, 02:44 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Most cars are better bought almost new, 6 months to 1 year low miles, warranty will exist, most Car companies offer warranty extension aka depreciation slower, Deposit 40->60% finance the rest, change around 1 to 2 years or when a good deal appears.

Case in point, a friend of mine got a 350k spec Bentayga for 180k with 6000 km. How isn't this a deal for a car like that? Still has 2 years of warranty, still a brand new car.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:02 AM
GTSwest
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Most cars are better bought almost new, 6 months to 1 year low miles, warranty will exist, most Car companies offer warranty extension aka depreciation slower, Deposit 40->60% finance the rest, change around 1 to 2 years or when a good deal appears.

Case in point, a friend of mine got a 350k spec Bentayga for 180k with 6000 km. How isn't this a deal for a car like that? Still has 2 years of warranty, still a brand new car.
So the Bentley Bentayga was bought for basically 50% of msrp after a mere 6,ooo km?

Doubtful, as that kind of depreciation on a new model would be stratospheric...and kill the brand.

I don't believe there are any high-end vehicles taking 50% baths in the first year.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Dane17
Track Day

I'm surprised no one mentioned the potentially tax friendly consequences of leasing one in the US then buying at the residual.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSwest
So the Bentley Bentayga was bought for basically 50% of msrp after a mere 6,ooo km?

Doubtful, as that kind of depreciation on a new model would be stratospheric...and kill the brand.

I don't believe there are any high-end vehicles taking 50% baths in the first year.
Unless there was some serious damage to the car.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTSPete
net worth doesn't include debt
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd lease a used CPO 911 turbo s