Sponsored by: Road Spy

Xpel Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by pdds
I think I read a thread or post discussing headlight protection with film and it's not recommended due to the factory coating? Anyone hear of this?
Correct. Their is a coating on the 991 headlight that can delaminate when the PPF is removed. The headlight will look matte and need to be refinished. It's not 100% that it will delaminate, but it's happened to a lot of folks. Porsche also makes note of the issue in the manual.

That said, I did have mine covered. My installer did a couple coats of Ceramic coating on the headlight before applying the PPF. The theory being that the Ceramic coating will act as the sacrificial barrier that the PPF will stick to.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:47 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I read a thread or post discussing headlight protection with film and it's not recommended due to the factory coating? Anyone hear of this?
There is a chance that the outer coating of the headlights can delaminate during installation or when the film is removed down the road. I think alot of this has to do with installation error, we have not had one issue now after over 60 991 headlight sets wrapped. It is important to understand the risks, but there are risks for wear and tear damage without the film, so pick your poison so to speak.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Definitely you should do the A pillars and at least the front section of the roof. I had damage on the leading edge of the roof on my last car without coverage. Do at least 8" back from the windshield.

My installer pulled off the OEM film in front of the rear wheels and installed a larger piece. I wish he had left the original piece and covered over it, but he didn't ask me first. That area takes the most beating of anyplace on the car. Also, do the area behind the rear wheels, do about 6 inches from the bottom up.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Paul007
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MagnaGrafix Stone Guards

Just another option for the rear section in front of the rear wheel. This area really takes a pounding! I have a set and installed them right over the XPEL. I have XPEL over that whole panel too (no cut lines), but I needed additional stone protection. They are magnetic. I got the CF option. Retro looking, but not for everyone.

Pic of my car here. RL link. MagnaGrafik link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7712...ne-guards.html

https://magnagrafik.com/Default.aspx

Enjoy the TTS
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Xpel noted in their cutting software some time ago that the headlight clear coat is prone to premature failure when PPF is installed. We've installed on newer Porsche headlights without issue and we seen one instance of the clear coat peeling during the installation. This despite 7 years of installation experience and an eye for caution during every step of our work. Too, respected installers I know have seen this occur... The issue is clear to me. The bonding of the clear coat to the lens cover is a weak point. Xpel has seen this. Porsche dealerships have seen this. Installers have seen this. Is it guaranteed to fail by installing film? No. To me, it appears to be more of a game of Russian Roulette. But the evidence shows that there is an issue with some of the modern Porsche headlights(the ones that require more tension/stretching appear to be the ones that struggle with this) and this is not tied to installation error.

Possible lifted clear coat or normal wear and tear pitting on the headlights...."choose yer poison"
Old 01-22-2017, 03:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Xpel noted in their cutting software some time ago that the headlight clear coat is prone to premature failure when PPF is installed. We've installed on newer Porsche headlights without issue and we seen one instance of the clear coat peeling during the installation. This despite 7 years of installation experience and an eye for caution during every step of our work. Too, respected installers I know have seen this occur... The issue is clear to me. The bonding of the clear coat to the lens cover is a weak point. Xpel has seen this. Porsche dealerships have seen this. Installers have seen this. Is it guaranteed to fail by installing film? No. To me, it appears to be more of a game of Russian Roulette. But the evidence shows that there is an issue with some of the modern Porsche headlights(the ones that require more tension/stretching appear to be the ones that struggle with this) and this is not tied to installation error.

Possible lifted clear coat or normal wear and tear pitting on the headlights...."choose yer poison"
Great input and perspective by experience.

At the end of the day, would you recommend headlight coverage to a new client?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:12 AM
jkl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul007
Just another option for the rear section in front of the rear wheel. This area really takes a pounding! I have a set and installed them right over the XPEL. I have XPEL over that whole panel too (no cut lines), but I needed additional stone protection. They are magnetic. I got the CF option. Retro looking, but not for everyone.

Pic of my car here. RL link. MagnaGrafik link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7712...ne-guards.html

https://magnagrafik.com/Default.aspx

Enjoy the TTS
I like that retro look. Nice that they're magnetic and easily removed if you get tired of it.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Great input and perspective by experience.

It is a hard call and one that the owner gets to make.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
FWIW - I did the headlights....like what's the worst that can happen?

Remove the PPF & if the so-called UV coating comes off - polish lens & redo with PPF.

Most likely saved my headlights looking at nicks in the film.....
Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
It is a hard call and one that the owner gets to make.

991's have been around since 2012, is there any preference of vinyl mfr to aid in avoiding chances of delamination on the headlights?

Also IF you are unlucky enough to experience it, is lens delamination 100% and will reapplying vinyl provide a solution to the problem without any visible signs of a problem remaining?
Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My car has a full wrap, can't be happier!!!
Old 03-26-2017, 08:14 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M
JD911, when you say splash panel, do yo mean the panel in front of the rear wheels. If this is correct presumably they take the factory film off and replace it, but where do you stop the film. I had thought of doing the whole rear wings but of course this means taking the film on to the roof (I have a glass sun roof ordered). The other option is to do as Silve and do the whole car.
Wait, there is factory film over splash panel???

Quick Reply: Xpel Coverage