Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:09 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Porsche Sport Driving School

I am just watching the Indy car race at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama and was thinking it would be a great autumn trip for a 2 or 3 day Porsche driving school, once track season is over here up north.

Do you guys know if Porsche NA can get us a discount for new GT3 owners?

When I bought my ZR1 4 years ago, I got 3 days FREE at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Nevada for their Ron Fellows ZR1 course. I also have done 3 Radical race car schools there, as well as 20 track days at Mosport and Watkins Glen and a NASA licensing course at Mid-Ohio.

I was thinking the Masters or G-Force class (as long as they waive the previous requirement of 2 day Performance class).

thanks
Kevin
Old 04-26-2015, 05:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Trust me, the Masters Plus is the way to go. A short lead and follow the first day, and from then on, open lapping.
G Force is really short and expensive for one day.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Trust me, the Masters Plus is the way to go. A short lead and follow the first day, and from then on, open lapping.
G Force is really short and expensive for one day.
right, I would like 2 days at least if i am traveling all the way down south, but it looks like the G-Force and maybe Masters "Plus" let you drive the GT3? (No interest in getting SCCA license now as I don't use the NASA one I have.)

Have you done the regular 2 day Masters course, and if so did they run GT3's?

How strict are they on the prerequisites...I have all the documentation of the schools I've done before and SLIP Evals from BMW CCA and black/solo with PCA?
Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I did the masters last year, and they didn't have GT3 at that time due to the engine issues. They did have turbos though. My understanding is that they have the GT3 there now. We hadn't done the previous courses, but sent in our driving experience (60+ track days, racing etc) and they let us jump into the Masters course, but didn't let us jump to plus since we hadn't been to Barber before. Had my orientation laps with Hurley Haywood himself!

A couple of us are doing the masters plus in October. Can't wait!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shizzle
A couple of us are doing the masters plus in October. Can't wait!
And at least one of us in the November one...
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I also did the Masters course last year -- that included one lead-follow session in the 991TTS but even when I was right behind the instructor he didn't really make room enough to open it up all the way or push it hard in the corners (I have a TT and I track it so I know there was a lot left on the table in that lead-follow ).

I'm going back for 4 days in September. There are a couple of spots in the calendar where you can do the G-Force class back to back with one of the others, in my case the Masters Plus this year. From what I gathered talking to the schedulers who answer the phones for them, the G-Force class gets you a ride in the GT3's and the TTS but that seems to be the only class that has a chance to drive the road GT3 unless you are taking one of the Cup Car classes.

At any rate, since I'm flying most of the way across the country to go to Barber I figured why not spend as many track days with them as possible to amortize the flight??
Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discount on PSDS?

Ughs

Read this:

http://tradervic.kinja.com/a-bad-sto...ars-1695422367

Also, check the URL below. I posted a orientation lap with Hurley. Cool primer and reminder
Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

No, Porsche does not offer a PSDS discount to anyone for buying a car. I think you get 10% off if you attend one PSDS course and go a second time within a year.

All they gave the GT3 owners was a trip to their new marketing center in Atlanta. You will get to drive a GT3 there, but not at speed (no helmet required).

I'd call and ask them which courses, if any, include seat time in a GT3. Barber is an awesome track!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:24 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
No, Porsche does not offer a PSDS discount to anyone for buying a car. I think you get 10% off if you attend one PSDS course and go a second time within a year.

All they gave the GT3 owners was a trip to their new marketing center in Atlanta. You will get to drive a GT3 there, but not at speed (no helmet required).

I'd call and ask them which courses, if any, include seat time in a GT3. Barber is an awesome track!
Was the trip to Atlanta just for 2014 gt3 owners? I have a 2015 and haven't heard anything about this
Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM
tradervic
Instructor

You can get a discount to PSDS at Porsche World Road Shows. 10% off
Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 PM
tradervic
Instructor

They will generally let you skip up to the Masters program with experience. Try and couple that with Masters Plus the following week if they have them stacked. I'm thinking '15 is pretty much sold out.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:56 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd look into local PCA regional schools at that track - you're looking at hundreds of dollars rather than thousands of dollars.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:27 PM
AciDShOrT
Instructor

I did the masters plus course last year; amazing course and great instruction. We were able to drive the GT3 in a lead follow format. I plan on doing it again this year, and also likely to do the G-Force course as well. Hurley did my hot lap at the end of the masters course... that was a trip. Got it on my iPhone.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great course. No discount at all. Wont even discuss it.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Skip Barber instructs similar courses at tracks all over the country for roughly half the Porsche school price when there is a sale going.

I just did a 3-day Advanced Racing School ("Masters Plus" equivalent) for $3k at Laguna Seca last month.

I'm signed up for the Advanced Car Control class ("G-Force" equivalent) for later this year for under $1250 or so, also at Laguna Seca. About half of this course is in a 991 C2, as well.

I'd encourage any folks interested specifically in driving instruction to consider other options at tracks closer to them, especially if the scheduling or costs of the PCNA courses are an issue.

Last edited by Mech33; 04-28-2015 at 01:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School