Sponsored by:

Radar & laser Jammers and Wide angle Backup Camera iinsatalled

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:10 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Radar & laser Jammers and Wide angle Backup Camera iinsatalled

I have decided to add Beltronics STI-R Plus Radar Detector And laser shifter pro along with Alpine HCE-C155 wide angle back up camera on both my 911 GT3 & 2013 911 4S. I used NAV-TV kit.

Below is a link to some pictures and videos of the finished installation.

You can see from the pictures the location of the front laser Jammers on GT3 is different and more visible than the 911 4S. The rear Jammers and backup camera are identical for Both cars. I chose the wide angle camera so I can use as a rear view mirror and able to see the blind spots while driving. The camera can be activated at all times and while driving and there are 2 additional video inputs into the PCM than can accept a video signal from other future cameras or any other video source and all can be activated at any time. Really very slik set up.

Please feel free to view the picturs & the videos and I will be very happy to answer any questions. Mark

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3JtdOXmJpo4Hi
Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet. Thanks for taking time to post the video. They did a clean job Mark. I sure could use both the backup camera and the jammer.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Very nicely done! Could you post some picture of the STiR+ display location?

I'd love to do something similar on mine. Was this done at a local shop in Washigton? I may just have to take a 12 hour drive up there to the same shop!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:28 PM
A.A.B
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool! Nicely done.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Great, Mark! Great looking car, BTW....

I'm very interested in the back up camera installation. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind providing some detail on the specific piece parts that are required, what has to be done to install them, and an approximate cost? Is camera function accessed through PCM or does additional switchgear need to be installed? Is there any downside from your POV, for example lost functionality of anything in PCM, warranty issues, etc.

Lot's of questions, I know, but you said to ask!
Old 02-15-2015, 12:23 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,103 Likes on 5,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I'm very interested in the back up camera installation. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind providing some detail on the specific piece parts that are required, what has to be done to install them, and an approximate cost? Is camera function accessed through PCM or does additional switchgear need to be installed? Is there any downside from your POV, for example lost functionality of anything in PCM, warranty issues, etc.

I got this installed, professionally as I'm a clutz with anything more complicated than a Lego set.

NAV-TV interface, CAM 6 camera. That's the hardware.

For install need to pop open the PCM (possibly voids warranty), need to drill a hole in the upper portion of the license plate bracket cubby hole area for camera placement.

Works great, no interference, resolution is better than OEM (at least on the TT/TTS). Camera is discreet enough, esp. if you have or use a black license plate frame, blends right in. Even better if your car is black, agate grey.

Overall, it's a good add-on. Necessary? Not really. A luxury? Yes. For me, not as critical as FAL. FWIW.

Read all details in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/830398-rear-camera-12.html

Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:57 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome set up! what is the best laser jammer on the market??
Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Very nicely done! Could you post some picture of the STiR+ display location?

I'd love to do something similar on mine. Was this done at a local shop in Washigton? I may just have to take a 12 hour drive up there to the same shop!
The installation was done at Musicar Northwest in Portland. Really great bunch of guys and very talented.

I added some more pictures showing the display location which was installed in the overhead center piece that carries the dome lights. There is a blank section from the factory which they replaced by an acrylic piece they made and placed the display behind it. It looks like it came from the factory and very discrete. By the way I have two videos in the link I posted, and in both videos I show the display, so please review the videos and in addition to the additional pictures I just posted for you. Please let me know if you need more info. Mark
Old 02-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I got this installed, professionally as I'm a clutz with anything more complicated than a Lego set.

NAV-TV interface, CAM 6 camera. That's the hardware.

For install need to pop open the PCM (possibly voids warranty), need to drill a hole in the upper portion of the license plate bracket cubby hole area for camera placement.

Works great, no interference, resolution is better than OEM (at least on the TT/TTS). Camera is discreet enough, esp. if you have or use a black license plate frame, blends right in. Even better if your car is black, agate grey.

Overall, it's a good add-on. Necessary? Not really. A luxury? Yes. For me, not as critical as FAL. FWIW.

Read all details in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...camera-12.html

Hope that helps.
Thanks ipse!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike and it is not any trouble at all. It will be my pleasure in to assist.

The NAV TV kit installed in my 911 4S required the PCM to be opened to install the harness which of course voids the warranty because my PCM software version is 3.4 and they don't have any plug and play harness for anything lower than version 4.5. However the one installed in my GT3 was plug and play and did not require any opening or tampering with the PCM. In both cases I have not lost any functions in PCM what so ever and of course no warranty issues for the GT3. The PCM Screen displays the rear view camera anytime you go into reverse no matter what PCM screen you are on, then switches back to previous display as soon as you are out of reverse, without any issues to the PCM. In addition I can press the defroster switch twice and force the PCM to display an additional video source of my choosing at anytime which by the way they included access to it through RCA cable in my glovebox. They also added another botton in spare blanks in my center console below the lift botton to allow me to activate the rear camera at anytime like when I am driving to use as a rear view cam.

As for the specific parts, I will list them all out for you on Monday as I am traveling this weekend and I don't have access to the paperwork I got from the installer which details all the parts and is in my home. However on Monday and upon my return, I will look it up and will list for you all the part numbers. In addition he was able to download a DYI from one of the forums that he used to do the install. I have a copy of it, so I will also include it in case you need to do the work yourself. So I will be back to you on Monday with these details.
Finally the cost to do all this work including all the labor and parts was $1350 for each car. I think the parts alone run you around $1000, so he charged roughly $350 for the installation including making a custom camera enclosure/housing for the the Alpine camera because this particular camera which has a super wide angle (190 degree) came with square enclosure that would have have not looked stock, so he made a custom enclosure that looks like the stock 2015 Porsche back up camera. There are several very good backup cameras available that look like the stock factory Porsche camera, or you can even purchase the stock factory camera, but none of them have the super wide angle I was looking for so I can use it as both a backup camera and also as rear view cam while driving. So the $350 installation fee included making a custom enclosure for this Alpin camera. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 02-15-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks ipse!
I DIY'd the install, it took a couple of hours.

Really the hardest part is getting the cable through the firewall but its just a matter of patience while working in a tight spot.

I can help anyone that needs it, and I can probably even pop some parts off and take photos if it helps. There is a pretty good set of instructions on 6speed that I used, but he doesn't explain the pulsing to program the unit very well.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks Mike and it is not any trouble at all. It will be my pleasure in to assist.

The NAV TV kit installed in my 911 4S required the PCM to be opened to install the harness which of course voids the warranty because my PCM software version is 3.4 and they don't have any plug and play harness for anything lower than version 4.5. However the one installed in my GT3 was plug and play and did not require any opening or tampering with the PCM. In both cases I have not lost any functions in PCM what so ever and of course no warranty issues for the GT3. The PCM Screen displays the rear view camera anytime you go into reverse no matter what PCM screen you are on, then switches back to previous display as soon as you are out of reverse, without any issues to the PCM. In addition I can press the defroster switch twice and force the PCM to display an additional video source of my choosing at anytime which by the way they included access to it through RCA cable in my glovebox. They also added another botton in spare blanks in my center console below the lift botton to allow me to activate the rear camera at anytime like when I am driving to use as a rear view cam.

As for the specific parts, I will list them all out for you on Monday as I am traveling this weekend and I don't have access to the paperwork I got from the installer which details all the parts and is in my home. However on Monday and upon my return, I will look it up and will list for you all the part numbers. In addition he was able to download a DYI from one of the forums that he used to do the install. I have a copy of it, so I will also include it in case you need to do the work yourself. So I will be back to you on Monday with these details.
Finally the cost to do all this work including all the labor and parts was $1350 for each car. I think the parts alone run you around $1000, so he charged roughly $350 for the installation including making a custom camera enclosure/housing for the the Alpine camera because this particular camera which has a super wide angle (190 degree) came with square enclosure that would have have not looked stock, so he made a custom enclosure that looks like the stock 2015 Porsche back up camera. There are several very good backup cameras available that look like the stock factory Porsche camera, or you can even purchase the stock factory camera, but none of them have the super wide angle I was looking for so I can use it as both a backup camera and also as rear view cam while driving. So the $350 installation fee included making a custom enclosure for this Alpin camera. Hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions. Mark
There is a group buy on Rennlist from Bob @ Nav-TV, its around ~850 for the parts.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice set up
Old 02-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

That's an amazing install price. Thanks for the details! So is this just a newer revision of the NAV-TV?

Originally Posted by mqandil

Quick Reply: Radar & laser Jammers and Wide angle Backup Camera iinsatalled