Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 or Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

They have a mistake in there - he says Carrera S when he means to say Turbo S. Had me confused for a sec
Old 11-23-2014, 11:57 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im on the fence on which one to get as well. i drive a cup on track days so not sure if a gt3 would be worth for just street use. But i know a stock turbo S isn't stiff/raw enough for me so.... im thinking a sharkwerks exhaust, tune and full suspension setup would satisfy my need. But please Porsche bring us a Gt2.....
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
A Turbo S over a GT3? Statements from the Porsche 911 chief engineer August Achleitner: http://blogs.motortrend.com/1411_for...g_kiinote.html
I think there is some marketing in this... I don't think the chief engineer is ever going to admin that 50% cheaper car is better than their most expensive 911.

Just saying...
Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
im on the fence on which one to get as well. i drive a cup on track days so not sure if a gt3 would be worth for just street use. But i know a stock turbo S isn't stiff/raw enough for me so.... im thinking a sharkwerks exhaust, tune and full suspension setup would satisfy my need. But please Porsche bring us a Gt2.....
Keep the cup for the track. Get a TTS for the street - the boost is addictive, the comfort is amazing, and the car handles beautifully! I have always been a visceral GT3/RS guy, but this new TTS is amazing. If I had to pick just one, and thankfully I don't, I would pick the TTS. It is very capable for occasional track and phenomenal on road.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
A Turbo S over a GT3? Statements from the Porsche 911 chief engineer August Achleitner: http://blogs.motortrend.com/1411_for...g_kiinote.html
Agree.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:04 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhh
I had a 997 Turbo S and now have a 991 GT3. OP, you'll definitely miss the power. The GT3 is more fun on a twisting road but you need to rev the hell out if to keep up with a Turbo. I haven't driven a 991 Turbo S but I'd think carefully before you switch. I guess it depends how you like to use the car. If you get your track thrills in a kart, you might find the GT3 is a big barge!
This is the whole point of NA engines and GT3s and Ferrari v8s. The acting of reving the engine to high levels like a motorcyle is large part of fun of driving these cars. Walter Rohr mentions that he much prefers normally aspirated engines to turbos on the track. I personally find high torque blown engines boring to drive. Also lets not forget the GT3 is significantly lighter than the luxury car 991TTS and handles better with much better steering feel and quicker shifting of the PDK. Evo favorably compares the GT3 to the 458special and Mclaren 650C in terms of track performance and driving excitement. Case closed...
Old 11-24-2014, 02:46 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

Saturday night I ran at Homestead with my GIAC stage 2 tuned TTS.
I have a friend with a new GT3. We both run on SC2 tires.
About a month ago we ran basically equal at Homestead.
Saturday night I was gone. I could keep up with the cup cars if I wanted to really push it.
One thing, GT3 aero look is definitely more appealing.
My sound with the Tubi is awesome now!
Launch control now is crazy addictive.
Bang for the buck, GT3 only choice.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My input although I will be discussing different cars, but I think my point is valid. I think it all depends on what type of person/driver you are. There are few here who arent hardcore in terms of driving at all, will say it again.....at all. But are pondering about the GT3 bcz of its amazing reviews and bcz its the latest 911 from Porsche. But truly deep down inside if they do purchase the GT3 they are the slow driving type, the car will never see the track and will probably be parked close to his sitting table outside star bucks while he or she sips a coffee at 4pm and looks at all the people taking pics of it and after a month will hate it bcz of the chatter and supposed roughness.

Ok maybe thats some rubbish, yet very true.

I will speak of my personal exp. I am the type that loves hardcore, the rougher the better, the more raw and connected your are even better........no dont get me wrong, this doesnt translate to loud obnoxious cars, I am not the type that will throw on a can to make my car louder just for show and the looks........etc

I had a Gallardo, then a GTR both very capable, both AWD, didnt enjoy them at all, felt numb, felt too easy, and the AWD although great for handling, wasnt fun at all, car felt on tracks and very very heavy.

Drove a ferrari 430, very capable, felt lighter, more fun....then tested the Scuderia......now thats raw, connected, loud in an exhilarating way, one mistake and your down a ditch. Test drove the 458, very fun, but didnt feel raw like the Scud. Thats why I still have the Scud. Personally this is what I love about these types of cars. When comparing the Turbo and GT3 thats exactly how I felt. The Turbo is no slouch at all, very capable on the street and on the track. Is more than enough for any of us in terms of power, most wont even exploit half of its capabilities on the street. Yet I had the same feeling I had when I owned the Lambo and the GTR. The power is always there, amazing boost, but the AWD felt heavy, the car truly insulates you. Its like driving a new S class from Benz. You cant hear anything, U might as well just fall asleep. The GT3 lacks the power the Turbo has yet the extra bit if connectivity and rawness to me made up for all that power and comfort.

I knew which one I would take bcz I know what type I am. When its comes to a SPORTS car, I truly seek that Sporty connected feel. When it comes for quite, peace and luxury time I take out my Range rover or Benz.

So at the end it comes down to 2 points for me, are you a comfy/luxury kind of guy or the opposite. One would prefer the Turbo the other would take the GT3.

My apologies for the long post.

Last edited by UAEGT3; 11-24-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I don't think they are opposite. The GT3 is a touch more aggressive. They are closer than they are opposite. I don't think you ever justify an expensive car. It's just something you do if you can and want to. I kept my Turbo. Turbo 911's are great cars.
Yeah I need to drive one. Very few around here.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by UAEGT3
My input although I will be discussing different cars, but I think my point is valid. I think it all depends on what type of person/driver you are. There are few here who arent hardcore in terms of driving at all, will say it again.....at all. But are pondering about the GT3 bcz of its amazing reviews and bcz its the latest 911 from Porsche. But truly deep down inside if they do purchase the GT3 they are the slow driving type, the car will never see the track and will probably be parked close to his sitting table outside star bucks while he or she sips a coffee at 4pm and looks at all the people taking pics of it and after a month will hate it bcz of the chatter and supposed roughness.

Ok maybe thats some rubbish, yet very true.

I will speak of my personal exp. I am the type that loves hardcore, the rougher the better, the more raw and connected your are even better........no dont get me wrong, this doesnt translate to loud obnoxious cars, I am not the type that will throw on a can to make my car louder just for show and the looks........etc

I had a Gallardo, then a GTR both very capable, both AWD, didnt enjoy them at all, felt numb, felt too easy, and the AWD although great for handling, wasnt fun at all, car felt on tracks and very very heavy.

Drove a ferrari 430, very capable, felt lighter, more fun....then tested the Scuderia......now thats raw, connected, loud in an exhilarating way, one mistake and your down a ditch. Test drove the 458, very fun, but didnt feel raw like the Scud. Thats why I still have the Scud. Personally this is what I love about these types of cars. When comparing the Turbo and GT3 thats exactly how I felt. The Turbo is no slouch at all, very capable on the street and on the track. Is more than enough for any of us in terms of power, most wont even exploit half of its capabilities on the street. Yet I had the same feeling I had when I owned the Lambo and the GTR. The power is always there, amazing boost, but the AWD felt heavy, the car truly insulates you. Its like driving a new S class from Benz. You cant hear anything, U might as well just fall asleep. The GT3 lacks the power the Turbo has yet the extra bit if connectivity and rawness to me made up for all that power and comfort.

I knew which one I would take bcz I know what type I am. When its comes to a SPORTS car, I truly seek that Sporty connected feel. When it comes for quite, peace and luxury time I take out my Range rover or Benz.

So at the end it comes down to 2 points for me, are you a comfy/luxury kind of guy or the opposite. One would prefer the Turbo the other would take the GT3.

My apologies for the long post.
No need to apologize, that was an excellent post. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doubleurx
My house is at 6500 feet, so I drive often between 6000-7500 feet, and occasionally up to 9000 feet. The car is still very strong at altitude. Feels like it pulls harder than my 500 hp TT by quite a bit.
Likely from the lower gearing.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LAGinz
I live at average elevations and for me, when I was ordering, I felt the GT3 fit the bill on almost every level......except I really wished it had the low end torque of the turbo. Coming from a vette, I was and am kind of concerned about this issue but have resolved to just rev the heck out of it.
They designed the motor to be rev'd to 9000 RPM. As NIKE used to say, Just do it!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:41 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
No need to apologize, that was an excellent post. Thank you.
Your welcome.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:59 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lost $80K after 1 yr/12K miles of ownership on my last TT. That's all I remember when I hear TT.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:03 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Lost $80K after 1 yr/12K miles of ownership on my last TT. That's all I remember when I hear TT.
Ouch! Definitely a good used prospect. I bought my 996tt almost 5 years ago, with 20k on the clock for $50k. It's been a great DD, but that was exactly the depreciation it also took in 7 years. I think it's only down 10k or so now from when I bought it.

Quick Reply: GT3 or Turbo S