Sponsored by:

GT3 project

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GT3 project

Thought I'd share my story and build as it happens...

15 months ago this started with a deposit and a promised delivery of March... Delivery was bumped a few times to Thanksgiving. Luckily they over delivered this time and the car showed up the week before Halloween. I may be one of the last 14's delivered. And as you all know, it's amazing . Glad I got the lift. If for nothing less, it'll be better for the trailer but I've used it on a few driveways so far.

I love projects so stock isn't good enough. I put 150 miles on it in 2 weeks. Temptation is a killer but I wanted to do a clear bra before I drove it much on the crappy farm roads in Ventura.

I ordered the clear corners and had the dealer put them in before I took the car off the lot. It's almost impossible to keep this around 5k rpm but I will for the first 500 then work up from there.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2014, 11:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for a preview of my car. Beautiful!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Now, the build starts... The day the car was confirmed I called the guys at GMG. I really wanted a cage and liked their exhaust. I try to use the same vendors as much as possible and loved the oval RSR tip. Like everything on the car, I wanted the accents black so they sent it out for black ceramic coating. It was a long 2 weeks but I was at SEMA as were they so our appointment was set for the first day after everyone was back.

I showed up at GMG racing this morning at 7:50, 10minutes before they opened. It was easy to find by the GT3's and R8's in the parking lot. I walked into the shop and saw the guys opening up. This place was awesome. I've been in automotive for 16 years and have seen race shops, manufacturers, fab shops etc. GMG may have been the nicest shop I've been in. It was a clean, bright and well organized shop. I was very comfortable leaving my new toy there. They were stacked with Porsche and Audi customer cars getting love and the race shop... Check their site. Their R8 race program looked insane. Back on topic, Everyone was very nice and directed me to the shop foreman. I offered to wait till they were ready but they checked me in, showed me the parts and got the car taken care of. 280 miles at drop off... by the time I get the car home, I will have doubled the mileage and cleared my break in They even drove me to the nearest Hertz to rent a loaner car at a greatly reduce customer rate which made the return trip easier then bugging someone else.
The car will be done tomorrow and finished pics will follow.

Now for the good stuff:
Attached Images    
Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Road Racin
Racer

After GMG is done, the car is being picked up by Lucci Elite detail to work their magic for color correction, paint cleaning, prep. He's also working with the guys from Protective Film Solutions to Clear Bra and protect the car. That should be done by Saturday.... More pics to follow
Old 11-11-2014, 11:37 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Thats a nice rollbar.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 AM
311RS
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice first set of mods. I'm looking forward to hearing your reaction after you've taken the car out...that exhaust should be fun! You're in great hands over there with GMG.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Looks great. What seats will you go with?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thats a nice rollbar.
I don't mean to step on toes, but I'd much rather see the cross-bracing in the vertical plane of the roll bar, rather than the plane of rearward diagonals. If GMG has a structural rationale for their configuration, I'd love to hear it.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't mean to step on toes, but I'd much rather see the cross-bracing in the vertical plane of the roll bar, rather than the plane of rearward diagonals. If GMG has a structural rationale for their configuration, I'd love to hear it.
Agreed 100% It truly looks like a fancy harness bar. The vertical plane is where the bracing should be. Look how long each vertical leg is, with no corner bracing. I can't envision the extra bracing needed in the plane of space where they placed it. WHEN IN DOUBT, COPY THE OEM ONE.

Last edited by MileHigh911; 11-12-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

If you do not mind, when you get a chance take a picture of the rear when the car is planted on ground so we can check out the exhaust tips. Tough to get a real good view in the air.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 05:05 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Great build thus far, keep the pics coming
Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Road Racin
Racer

She's done and off to Lucci Elite detail for the detox and wrap...

Here's the completed pics thus far. It looks great, can't wait to see it in person.

IMG_2770 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

IMG_2778 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

IMG_2783 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

IMG_2791 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

IMG_2796 by GMG Racing, on Flickr

IMG_2800 by GMG Racing, on Flickr
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Agreed. The factory cage has two sets of bracing one almost vertical behind the front seats...

So another matter. I would struggle to get a decent field of view for my smartycam HD bolted to the GMC rear X over as its a long way from the drivers seat plane of view....just an observation.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Must say though that the execution and colour coding look top class. Its a real stunning looking vehicle.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Road Racin
Racer

at 6'3" I wasn't sure I'd ever fit into a Porsche. The 991 is way better but still a little tight with my hand on the wheel near my knees. The stock cage is supposedly limiting to taller drivers (over 5'10")... I love the looks, get harness attachment points and am confident it's better then what I had for protection.

Thanks, I love how it's turning out

Quick Reply: GT3 project