Sponsored by:

Anyone with G-meter # with cup2 on track

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 PM
bsunier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with G-meter # with cup2 on track

Would like to see the # between cup2 and racing slick on the track.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:17 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing slick are not allowed on the 991 GT3.
Warranty will be void.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:34 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
Racing slick are not allowed on the 991 GT3.
Warranty will be void.
Many enthusiasts will still track their 991GT3 with slicks. Those are the same people that ran them in their 997s. Just need to wait for more choices to arrive. As compared to the 997s, The 991GT3 is actually "warranty covered" for track use, with the specific exception to not run slicks. Racing slicks ramp up the "replacement interval" for many suspension components, which Porsche has realized that many Non-race team P-Car owners would not comply with, hence the "no racing slicks" disclaimer. By putting that disclaimer into the manual, Porsche has a strong "out", as related to warranty claims, when it looks at things like the G-meter data. This car has been so well tested, you can bet Porsche knows exactly what Gs are possible with the MPSC2s.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:55 PM
bsunier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me rephrase the question.
I know people have been tracking the GT3,
I would like to see what is the highest # people have got and see if anyone would know the safety
margin built in on the suspension.
There has to be someone who knows a friend of a friend who has tracked a GT3 with slicks and without naming names to compare the # and still be in the safe margin.
I do understand that Porsche does not warranty with racing slicks.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by bsunier
I would like to see what is the highest # people have got and see if anyone would know the safety
margin built in on the suspension.
There has to be someone who knows a friend of a friend who has tracked a GT3 with slicks and without naming names to compare the # and still be in the safe margin.
I personally don't doubt that the suspension, wheels, CLs, RWS, etc. can handle full load from slicks for one or a few laps. I think the question is the durability/lifespan of components under those conditions due to fatigue effects, etc., and it may take some time to gather good data on that. A related question is the extent to which warning signs, detected by inspection or other means, are generated prior to failure. Wouldn't want something critical to break at high speed and have no good means to prevent it.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:01 AM
the-missile
Racer

Max saved on the G-Meter is mentioned 1.34 I guess on the right side.
Yas marina circuit in Abu Dhabi
I need to double check.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:39 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

1.34 in the right 1.33 on the left during a track day at Auto Club Speedway Fontana.
I wonder how accurate the built in G-meter is versus dedicated units.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 1.74 and 1.47 photo posted somewhere here. I think I managed a bit better than this at the last track I drove. The cars internal v meter is not accurate much when checked against box or aim which showed a fair amount lower for the same session...
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM
the-missile
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
I have 1.74 and 1.47 photo posted somewhere here. I think I managed a bit better than this at the last track I drove. The cars internal v meter is not accurate much when checked against box or aim which showed a fair amount lower for the same session...

impressive figures Macca

what's about acceleration and brakes?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Sorry. It seems the numbers I gave you are from a later track day and I didnt photograph the screen.

Here is the screen shot from my first ever track session...

Here is the VBox shot from same session and as you can see the Porsche system is a bit:

1.39 vs 1.45 (Porsche system) Lateral G max
1.15 v 1.24 Decell max
0.63 v 0.69 Acell mx

Looks like Porsche system is 0.06-0.09 G out...

Bit like the TPMS which according to my Cecomp NASCAR used supposedly incredibly accurate tire pressure gauge shows around 1-1.5 psi out depending on temp.
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I should also as lateral G is really only indicative of the type of circuit. Yas is a fast long circuits with little elevation and nothing too tight in the way of corners. One of the tracks I run is 3km and has a couple of massive elevation changing 51 degree corkscrew corners that will nail a "real" 1.59 lateral G on my Vbox equipped 993 track car!

I might also add a fast but smooth driver may well have a lower reading on the same track as another who takes a more aggressive line...
Old 10-25-2014, 04:15 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

From my last track event at local track in Portland Oregon, PIR (Portland international Raceway), I got 1.47 L, 1.49 R. But I do recall getting slightly higher numbers at the Ridge up in Washington State. I guess it depends on the track, but you can pull relatively high G's on the stock cup tires. Mark
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be more interested in seeing the difference between the stock Cup 2 tires vs P Zero Trofeo tires. I keep hearing some people raving about them, so it will be nice to see some actual hard numbers, such as lap times, or even comparative G figures and people's impressions regarding how both tires behave at or past the limit during dry and wet runs. This will probably be more useful than comparison against the racing slicks, since the P Zero Trofeo Won't void the warranty as far as I know. Mark

Quick Reply: Anyone with G-meter # with cup2 on track