Sponsored by:

2015 GT3 or 2014 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:14 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The Turbo S is a great car. I think although the GT3 is a good DD the Turbo is even much better. Great for all year round(rain snow ect). Has backseats so great for you children for fun trips. Now - I sold my Turbo and have the GT3. I have a 5 year old Son and when he is old enough to sit in the front seat than he can join me. Took my Wife out for dinner Sat evening and she thinks the car is "hot" but too loud for her. Perfect - now She will leave me alone Call me selfish or whatever but I bought this toy for myself. I love looking at it in the garage when I leave to work and return. On the weekends I can hardly wait to get up on Sat. morning and take her out for a couple hours. It is a "toy". It looks the part and it brings a smile to my face when I turn that ignition key and play with her. The Turbo never brought me that type of emotion. Fast, yes, but not that exciting to drive. And do not underestimate the speed of this GT3 because it is also pretty darn fast. The GT3 is a vey emotional car; you either feel it right away or you don't. When I look at this car it brings emotion and I do not even have to drive it
Well said, Jim!

I totally agree with your sentiments. My kids are also counting down the days until they can go for a ride.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:21 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Turbo S is a great car. I think although the GT3 is a good DD the Turbo is even much better. Great for all year round(rain snow ect). Has backseats so great for you children for fun trips. Now - I sold my Turbo and have the GT3. I have a 5 year old Son and when he is old enough to sit in the front seat than he can join me. Took my Wife out for dinner Sat evening and she thinks the car is "hot" but too loud for her. Perfect - now She will leave me alone Call me selfish or whatever but I bought this toy for myself. I love looking at it in the garage when I leave to work and return. On the weekends I can hardly wait to get up on Sat. morning and take her out for a couple hours. It is a "toy". It looks the part and it brings a smile to my face when I turn that ignition key and play with her. The Turbo never brought me that type of emotion. Fast, yes, but not that exciting to drive. And do not underestimate the speed of this GT3 because it is also pretty darn fast. The GT3 is a vey emotional car; you either feel it right away or you don't. When I look at this car it brings emotion and I do not even have to drive it
I drive with emotions. Growing up following Senna since he was 17 until May 1st 20 years ago. My original plan was to get a Macan Turbo and have all the options installed and bridge that till next year or so and then change to a 991.2 whatever. However, after driving all Macan's, 991 C2S, 4S and the TT plus the S, they all seemed didn't bring me the emotions that can last long. They are quiet. I may be deaf. My illness is I like to change cars every 1.5/2 yrs so being emotionally engaged is key. Why bridge over? Why settle?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^Then you have answered your own question. Get the GT3.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 PM
AWW100
Instructor

^Then you have answered your own question. Get the GT3.
Can a 9 years old sit in the front?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I do not know the laws in NY. Call your local Police department and they can provide you with the age and weight that is legally acceptable. But, if it works, of course he can sit in the front. But; please remember that he is only 9 and I would drive her like a ***** cat because in these types of cars even a spirited drive with a child would scare me.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 PM
AWW100
Instructor

I do not know the laws in NY. Call your local Police department and they can provide you with the age and weight that is legally acceptable. But, if it works, of course he can sit in the front. But; please remember that he is only 9 and I would drive her like a ***** cat because in these types of cars even a spirited drive with a child would scare me.
Well noted. The key is the front airbags. They needed to be de-activated. Calling the dealer now to find out how.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been wrestling with this question ever since the 996 GT3 was introduced. It really boils down to personal preference. So it's not an easy question to answer.

FWIW, I'm replacing the 991 Turbo with a 991 GT3 next month. For me the 991 Turbo is just a bit "softer" and more "vague" than I like when I'm driving on the backroads.

Another option might be to make suspension changes to liven up the Turbo. But I've always regretted suspension "upgrades" on street driven cars. The tuners just can't seem to strike the right balance, like Porsche does on the GT3 and GT3Rs.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think in most cars now the front airbags are deactivated automatically if there is insufficient weight in the seat. So, unless your child and child seat weigh more than X (whatever that is now), the airbag is automatically "off".

With my 996 GT3 I had to install a special Porsche child seat that, when attached to some anchor point in the car, also turned off the airbag.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:01 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Dealer wouldn't deactivate airbag... Liability concerns even if they had the know-how. Bag deactivates if not enough weight in seat anyway
Old 10-01-2014, 09:08 PM
AWW100
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Dealer wouldn't deactivate airbag... Liability concerns even if they had the know-how. Bag deactivates if not enough weight in seat anyway
God forbid if there is a crash, will the force create extra momentum adding more weight and activate the airbags?

Will the side airbags be also deactivated?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 PM
AWW100
Instructor

GT3 it is.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 AM
oc997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
How can you draw that conclusion when you have not yet taken delivery of the GT3?

There are a few on here that sold their 991 TTS for their GT3 and the OP shoudl talk with them. I think from memory Sam from TX and Meteor997 you can find them on the track oriented threads...
I sold my 14 TTS for GT3 and I vowed never to buy another Porsche unless it's a GT3.

The TTS was boring for me and too video game like. It lacked the rawness I was looking for in a weekend sports car when you push it. I also had a friend who has a GTR who I let test drive my TTs and he also says he was not impressed with the acceleration and felt a bit boring.

I also lost about 27k on the resale of my TTS with less than 1k miles of use in 5 mos. They are now being discounted brand new off the lot for $15-20k off msrp.

I would be surprised if a 991 GT3 would lose 27k even after 3 years of use especially considering it may be last NA motor with super limited production numbers on this model run due to engine swaps.

Unless you are looking to DD a 911 I would def recommend anyone to pick a GT3 over a TTS. I also think due to axle lift option which btw does not exist in TTS and how smooth the GT3 is when you don't floor the throttle the car is a very good candidate for those that actually want to DD it.

Another very important point that most people fail to point out on TTS is the stock ride height is very high and car has a huge tire and fender gap which can be corrected with lowering springs. Once I put aftermarket H&R springs on my TTS the front end became quite low where it was now very susceptible to damage even without deploying that ugly black rubber spoiler. I was very annoyed by the fact that the TTS had no axle lift option and a lot of TTS owners put aftermarket wheels and lower their cars and now the DD becomes much less usable as you cannot take the car to any places like LA with horrible ramps or bad roads. The GT3 on other hand comes from factory with the perfect ride height and with the perfect wheel and tire gap. It also has axle lift so when you approach a steep ramp your front spoiler is not being ripped off your car.

Going back to the tranny its also amazing how the PDKS on GT3 acts like a very civilized car with its buttery smooth gear changes and when you mash the throttle it completely changes into a raw animal and changes gear at 9k rpm. It reminds of DR. Jeykl and Hyde in how it has this dual personality from being a calm smooth coupe to a production race car in a split second.

The gear shifts are also lightning fast and although it was not as fast as my Aventador which is 60ms as opposed to the 100ms on PDKS the Aventador gear changes were no way as close to smooth as the PDKS. This is probably the best overall dual clutch in market today in terms of speed, reliability and comfort.

I can't say enough good things about the GT3.

Only things I miss on my TTS:

1. Rear view camera
2. Seat Memory function

Last edited by oc997; 10-02-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM
frankee4u
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oc997
I sold my 14 TTS for GT3 and I vowed never to buy another Porsche unless it's a GT3. The TTS was boring for me and too video game like. It lacked the rawness I was looking for in a weekend sports car when you push it. I also had a friend who has a GTR who I let test drive my TTs and he also says he was not impressed with the acceleration and felt a bit boring. I also lost about 27k on the resale of my TTS with less than 1k miles of use in 5 mos. They are now being discounted brand new off the lot for $15-20k off msrp. I would be surprised if a 991 GT3 would lose 27k even after 3 years of use especially considering it may be last NA motor with super limited production numbers on this model run due to engine swaps. Unless you are looking to DD a 911 I would def recommend anyone to pick a GT3 over a TTS. I also think due to axle lift option which btw does not exist in TTS and how smooth the GT3 is when you don't floor the throttle the car is a very good candidate for those that actually want to DD it. Another very important point that most people fail to point out on TTS is the stock ride height is very high and car has a huge tire and fender gap which can be corrected with lowering springs. Once I put aftermarket H&R springs on my TTS the front end became quite low where it was now very susceptible to damage even without deploying that ugly black rubber spoiler. I was very annoyed by the fact that the TTS had no axle lift option and a lot of TTS owners put aftermarket wheels and lower their cars and now the DD becomes much less usable as you cannot take the car to any places like LA with horrible ramps or bad roads. The GT3 on other hand comes from factory with the perfect ride height and with the perfect wheel and tire gap. It also has axle lift so when you approach a steep ramp your front spoiler is not being ripped off your car. Going back to the tranny its also amazing how the PDKS on GT3 acts like a very civilized car with its buttery smooth gear changes and when you mash the throttle it completely changes into a raw animal and changes gear at 9k rpm. It reminds of DR. Jeykl and Hyde in how it has this dual personality from being a calm smooth coupe to a production race car in a split second. The gear shifts are also lightning fast and although it was not as fast as my Aventador which is 60ms as opposed to the 100ms on PDKS the Aventador gear changes were no way as close to smooth as the PDKS. This is probably the best overall dual clutch in market today in terms of speed, reliability and comfort. I can't say enough good things about the GT3. Only things I miss on my TTS: 1. Rear view camera 2. Seat Memory function

Thank you for this post - I will be finalizing my order this weekend - the verdict is in.

Anyone regret going to subdued of a color? Thinking carrerA white or guards
Old 10-02-2014, 10:02 AM
AWW100
Instructor

Originally Posted by frankee4u
Thank you for this post - I will be finalizing my order this weekend - the verdict is in. Anyone regret going to subdued of a color? Thinking carrerA white or guards
Spoke to my dealer last night and he recommended white. I also called my Audi dealer friend and he said agate white or silver. I personally like red but both of them said I will probably be destroyed when trading it in the future. However, I was thinking if others (60% of the current white car owners) think like that then my red car is gonna be super rare.

For me down to metallic white, Guard of R silver.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:10 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

oc997, also thanks for the post. I'm mentally substituting C4S (the car I traded in) for TT in yoir post, and am getting really excited to experience the GT3.

Quick Reply: 2015 GT3 or 2014 Turbo S