License plate holes, license plate bracket, and ED

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:34 AM
denny
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License plate holes, license plate bracket, and ED

Hi all,

Picked up my GT3 in Zuffenhausen July 28. Prior to picking up the car, I indicated to Jamie Dillon (who is awesome to work with!) that I did not want holes drilled in my front bumper. She said, "No worries. Go to this particular website and order a license plate bracket. They will put it on at the factory." So, I arrive at the factory with said license plate bracket. At time of the delivery person introducing my wife and I to our new car, he very strongly advised me to not use the bracket I had brought (which utilizes the tow bolt access), citing that it was against the law in Switzerland and the police would surely ticket me. Furthermore, he said any damage caused by the bracket I brought would not be covered by the factory. He then took us to the customer lot to show us a customer's new 991 Turbo where the customer had done the same thing I wanted to do. The Turbo owner's front bumper was scraped and scratched from something hitting the license plate and shearing off the attachment bolt. As much as I didn't want to give in to his urging, I finally gave the ok for holes to be drilled so they could mount the license plate bracket in the center of the bumper.

Upon my return home, I emailed Jamie to tell her of my experience. She was very apologetic that I had the experience I had. She asked if there was anything she could do to make it up to me. I requested that she communicate with the factory so that future customers don't have the same experience I did (who want to have a bracket mounted off-center and thereby avoid having holes drilled). From now going forward, here is how it works:

Any US customer picking up their vehicle at the factory and wanting their front bumper free of holes will be allowed (without resistance from the factory's delivery team) to have their license plate mounted via the tow bolt access. To further facilitate this, US customers will NOT need to bring their own mounting bracket. PCNA will be supplying the factory with brackets to accommodate all models, so the brackets will just rotate through as customers pick up their cars.

Lemons to lemonade. Thank-you Jamie!

denny
Old 09-24-2014, 01:45 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a nice development for future ED customers. Sorry it had to be at your expense. I agree on your assessment of Jamie--top notch. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:49 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

First of all thank you, amazing!
I would like clarity though, as I'll be picking mine up in March. Do we still need to bring the tow-hook attachment with us to Europe?.. Or is this the "bracket" which pcna will provide?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:17 AM
MMbtu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is good news, even though the bracket I ordered just showed up via UPS for my October ED. I was concerned about it and it is now nice to know that have a system and solution for it.

Anyone want to buy a nice tow hook mount front license plate bracket? Haha.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM
denny
Rennlist Member

CAlexio, you do not need to take anything with you (bracket-wise). That is the bracket which PCNA is providing.

denny
Old 12-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

My order form still says I have to bring my own bracket?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
My order form still says I have to bring my own bracket?
Jamie told me I had to bring my own bracket too! And they still drilled a hole in my bumper!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by denny
He then took us to the customer lot to show us a customer's new 991 Turbo where the customer had done the same thing I wanted to do. The Turbo owner's front bumper was scraped and scratched from something hitting the license plate and shearing off the attachment bolt. As much as I didn't want to give in to his urging, I finally gave the ok for holes to be drilled so they could mount the license plate bracket in the center of the bumper.

denny
That's pretty amazing that something hit one of those tow hook mounts hard enough to shear off the bolt. If it was substantial enough to do that it might have done worse damage if it hit the car directly! Anyway, thanks for the info and follow up with Porsche.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
First of all thank you, amazing!
I would like clarity though, as I'll be picking mine up in March. Do we still need to bring the tow-hook attachment with us to Europe?.. Or is this the "bracket" which pcna will provide?
Wait. Not to go off topic, Alex, but have you decided you will be getting a GT3 after all? Or have you decided to get some other model via ED that will make it into your garage more easily?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That's pretty amazing that something hit one of those tow hook mounts hard enough to shear off the bolt. If it was substantial enough to do that it might have done worse damage if it hit the car directly! Anyway, thanks for the info and follow up with Porsche.

Wait. Not to go off topic, Alex, but have you decided you will be getting a GT3 after all? Or have you decided to get some other model via ED that will make it into your garage more easily?
Mike, I think Alex made that comment back in Sept, prior to deciding he would not be able to get it. You remember, that nice view, drinking bubbly and of course his sweetheart.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

I have a factory mounted plate holder on the Cayman. The wacky thing is if you do ED with delivery in Leigzig, they will tape the plate to the front bumper. So why doesn't Stuttgart allow this?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:38 PM
///MMB
Advanced

Every bmw I have ever done euro delivery on has had the front tag secured on with double sided tape then when the car gets to the states the front tag can safely be removed and there won't be any holes drilled into the bumper. Bmw does around 22k EDs per year and Im guessing they don't have issues since they keep doing it.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Mike, I think Alex made that comment back in Sept, prior to deciding he would not be able to get it. You remember, that nice view, drinking bubbly and of course his sweetheart.
Duh....neglected to look at the date stamp on his post.

Quick Reply: License plate holes, license plate bracket, and ED