CAR Magazine GT3 vs 458 Speciale

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I still think the writer, likely because he cannot afford either, did not prepare a story that takes into consideration cost. The price of a car is absolutely a factor that should be considered since it is a common denominator with all vehicles and a measure of worth across everyone. At a price of 208,000 pounds or $339,785.00 for a 458 Speciale, it costs as much as a $150k GT3 and a $190k GT3RS. Is the 458 S superior to a GT3 and a GT3 RS? Is it that much better?

I think the whole ownership thing being discussed is what highlights the weaknesses of magazine reviews. It reminds me of internet posters that post on forums and magazine race based upon the stats of cars in the back of a magazine. These kids have no concept of actual ownership or a true point of reference and, I think the article did basically the same thing except the writer had a chance to drive the cars. Now, if he wrote from the perspective of actually buying and owning the cars, that would be a valuable opinion. As is, the writer may as well be a 13 year old kid with pimples who went on a joy ride.

Dan (thinks the writer did a poor job of assessment)
Regarding the price delta.

While I agree it should not be just glossed over, and I mentioned this upthread previously, for some the price difference really isn't an issue. Y'know the 1% of the 1%?

But seriously. For some people, they just want the best track-worthy car that's out there. Not the best track worthy car at decent quality-to-price ratio.

Let's take an example with dive watches. Let's say a professional scuba diver just wants the "best and most utilitarian" diver's watch he can by, regardless of price.

Two watches that might come to mind, are the Rolex Submariner and the Doxa Sub 5000T. The former is about 3x the retail price of the latter, yet it would not be ridiculous to compare the two -- or cross-shop them -- if one were simply looking for a utilitarian tool for diving.

Same is true here. If a person were to simply look for the best out-of-the-box track weapon, it's not irrational to compare the 991 GT3 with the 458 Speciale -- regardless of the price delta.

Of course, the only people who would buy the Ferrari over the Porsche are the same folks who buy the Rolex over any other "better" diver's watch. Bling.

Which, of course, isn't to say that I am saying a Porsche is similar to a Doxa.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Regarding the price delta.

While I agree it should not be just glossed over, and I mentioned this upthread previously, for some the price difference really isn't an issue. Y'know the 1% of the 1%?

But seriously. For some people, they just want the best track-worthy car that's out there. Not the best track worthy car at decent quality-to-price ratio.
The fact that the GT3 can be legitimately compared to a car more than twice its cost is a feather in the cap of the GT3. For those persons who want the best track-worthy car, do those persons want a 458 S or a GT3 with $190k worth in modifications / parts / tires / track fees and so fourth?

The 1% have a minimum net worth of $6 million, the 1% of 1% have a net worth over $20 million. You don't need to be either to own a GT3 or a 458 S. For those of us who can afford these cars, many of us will look at cost of ownership. For the truly wealthy, they're not going to care what is said in the article.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Better hide my "Sea Dweller" when I drive my GT3
Old 09-22-2014, 03:36 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Actually the best dive watch is a dive computer. I do own a Sub but it this day and time not much good under water.

Some Ferrari's are bought for the bling, some Porsche's too but most are bought cause they are fun to look at in garage and drive.

GT3 is like a great wife who is sporty. A Ferrari is like a hot but sometimes crazy mistress. What are you in the mood for?

Neither car is a bargain.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Actually both- Sorry; we're talking about cars do got lost
Old 09-22-2014, 03:56 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm

I think the whole ownership thing being discussed is what highlights the weaknesses of magazine reviews. It reminds me of internet posters that post on forums and magazine race based upon the stats of cars in the back of a magazine. These kids have no concept of actual ownership or a true point of reference and, I think the article did basically the same thing except the writer had a chance to drive the cars. Now, if he wrote from the perspective of actually buying and owning the cars, that would be a valuable opinion. As is, the writer may as well be a 13 year old kid with pimples who went on a joy ride.
Also agreed. While reviews like this, and even those that are glowingly positive, all have limited value. Kinda like an urban test drive under 5000 rpm. Value? Sure. But value that's heavily qualified.

IMO.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:19 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I still think the writer, likely because he cannot afford either, did not prepare a story that takes into consideration cost. The price of a car is absolutely a factor that should be considered since it is a common denominator with all vehicles and a measure of worth across everyone. At a price of 208,000 pounds or $339,785.00 for a 458 Speciale, it costs as much as a $150k GT3 and a $190k GT3RS. Is the 458 S superior to a GT3 and a GT3 RS? Is it that much better?

Dan (thinks the writer did a poor job of assessment)
we all know the law of diminishing returns. you have to pay a disproportionate amount of money if you want that little bit of extra improvement (whatever and wherever this improvement is) in a high-level product. i'd say that the F458 speciale is an overall more appealing ownership proposition than the GT3, maybe only slightly so. but since the level is already very high you pay a lot more for this slight improvement. similar when you go from the speciale to the laferrari (although there issues like collectibility enter there).
peter
Old 09-22-2014, 04:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So much of the excitement derived is relative to one's previous experience also. If you've owned many nice/exotic/fast cars, then maybe you would feel equally excited to purchase a speciale or a gt3; in fact we read ab quite a few guys on this forum who have ordered a speciale, driven it, but acted more excited ab getting their gt3. the "return on investment" isn't just based on a linear relationship to performance, there are certain brand attributes, design features and details which can't be exactly quantified, but which intrinsically make the Speciale "worth" double the price of a gt3 to some. Personally, I'm probably more excited to be able to access $3-500k car performance for $150k... the "deal" is what appeals to me... As every $10k counts to my account. Maybe if I was in the market for $300k cars, I would convince myself that a speciale is worth it, but I would have to really think ab it when a gt3 already exists in the market.

A magazine writer on the other hand has the luxury to flippantly claim "yes, this car is definitely worth $1.2million" after climbing out of a Mansory modified monstrosity for example, Because he can't dream of shelling out the cash anyway.. So his value proposition becomes wildly skewed.

Money matters for most of us.. And what makes this car so exciting is that we get to taste what is basically the best there is, while not feeling like we are getting bent over by the man.

(Except for the extended door leather option.. That **** makes me ANGRY!!!)
Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CAlexio is right, it's ultimately all relative. While I'm going for a GT3 I'm sure there is someone on a Corvette Z06 forum as we speak, who is saying the same thing about the Z06 and GT3. No matter what our circumstances, we are lucky to be living in a time with such exciting cars. As someone who made it through the 70s, we should not take that for granted.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Ag
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Agree above- I would love a Speciale but I also do not want all the stares and concern where I drive it ect- a little too much attention for me. Also- not a cheap car by any means
Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Greater Comfort, Higher Performance, Lower Price - the elusive Trifecta and the unobtainable Holy Grail since the Sports Car was born.
The S and the Turbo have been covering that space for decades already. The GT3 should be kept out of there, IMO.

Originally Posted by Macca
I grab these keys over my tuned 993 more often and use the car for every little chore I can as its fun to drive and very easy to manage around town.
I grab my Silverado and bmw 530 keys much more often than those of my 6gt3, too. I also drink water and beer much more often than I drink single malts.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sorry, I meant to post this video in this thread.

Quick Reply: CAR Magazine GT3 vs 458 Speciale