Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I want to play songs off my ipod/iphone, do I need telephone bluetooth module?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default If I want to play songs off my ipod/iphone, do I need telephone bluetooth module?

I searched and read every thread on this topic, but still unclear. I don't care at all about being able to make phone calls through the car system. Don't care at all about Bluetooth for my phone calls. I do want to be able to play the songs on my ipod and/or iPhone through the car stereo system. On my current configuration I have selected PCM/Nav and the sound plus pkg. There are separate (not inexpensive) options that detail out GSM phone service in the car, Bluetooth, etc. If I don't care about phone and only audio through my ipod/iphone, do I still need those options?
Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 455 Likes on 252 Posts

As far as I know there should be a USB port in the glove box you can plug into. At least I think I read that somewhere v
Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

With the universal audio interface (USB) in the glove compartment, you can connect your iPod® or any other compatible audio source of your choice. By means of the USB socket, it is also possible to download data from the performance display of the Sport Chrono Package, as well as data from the electronic logbook. In the opposite direction, you can transfer up to 10,000 tracks in MP3 format to the internal hard drive of PCM and create your own jukebox.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I spoke with my dealer when building out my car.. and it comes with bluetooth as standard.. so you can use phone and play music with no option. The telephone option allows you to use a cellular chip in the car to connect with your provider vs. your phone to save battery (vs. standard bluetooth which just uses your phone to connect to service, but plays through car causing you to use battery as normal). And then there is a telephone option with a handset. Hope this makes sense...
Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I searched and read every thread on this topic, but still unclear. I don't care at all about being able to make phone calls through the car system. Don't care at all about Bluetooth for my phone calls. I do want to be able to play the songs on my ipod and/or iPhone through the car stereo system. On my current configuration I have selected PCM/Nav and the sound plus pkg. There are separate (not inexpensive) options that detail out GSM phone service in the car, Bluetooth, etc. If I don't care about phone and only audio through my ipod/iphone, do I still need those options?
Jonathan ,
You will be all set to listen to tunes via ipod/iphone , android phone ipad etc.
go on the configurator look on standard features under electrical , as well
pull up the info tab for the PCM there it states universal audio input and usb
input jacks , basically you will need a cable with mini headphone jacks both
ends one into your devise the other into jack in glove box , on my 997.2
there was a plug in in the center arm rest compartment hopefully the same with this new car
perhaps someone who already has the car a verify location of the plug/in jack
Old 09-08-2014, 12:47 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks everyone...sounds the same as my .2 gt3 then, I just plug into the cords in the center arm compartment. Confusing that there is a separate option for phone. thanks again
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Jonathan ,
You will be all set to listen to tunes via ipod/iphone , android phone ipad etc.
go on the configurator look on standard features under electrical , as well
pull up the info tab for the PCM there it states universal audio input and usb
input jacks , basically you will need a cable with mini headphone jacks both
ends one into your devise the other into jack in glove box , on my 997.2
there was a plug in in the center arm rest compartment hopefully the same with this new car
perhaps someone who already has the car a verify location of the plug/in jack
The mini jack and USB connector (along with another 12V power socket) are now located in the glove box instead of the center console. The glove box door will close on the cord easily without pinching it.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 AM
Frenzyy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is BT-AUX also included? that isn't specifically listed on the tech spec, but it was included in the 991 C2 Bose package
Old 09-08-2014, 05:15 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Why would anyone want to dig their gsm chip out of their ihone to place it in the car?.. Sounds like such a nonsensical and outmoded option.

Glad I read this thread though.. From what I understand now, none of the phone options are necessary at all for an ihone user like myself who uses an earbud set
Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Why would anyone want to dig their gsm chip out of their ihone to place it in the car?.. Sounds like such a nonsensical and outmoded option.

Glad I read this thread though.. From what I understand now, none of the phone options are necessary at all for an ihone user like myself who uses an earbud set
Pls tell us you meant a Bluetooth earpiece and you're not driving around jamming to your favorite tunes through a set of earbuds aka earplugs.

During my daily commute I have seen folks driving along, painting their nails, reading a book, and yes listening to their tunes through a set of earbuds .... Scary stuff.

Ryan
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 AM
sk0t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

The Telephone Module (666) also supports rSAP, as I've mentioned in another thread, which takes over the SIM via Bluetooth and uses a (hidden) antenna in the car providing much better signal strength in the country or areas of marginal coverage. It also allows you to receive and send text messages via the PCM.

iPhones (up to 5s at least) don't support rSAP though so, if you have one of them, don't order the Telephone Module unless you are planning to put a SIM in the PCM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The mini jack and USB connector (along with another 12V power socket) are now located in the glove box instead of the center console. The glove box door will close on the cord easily without pinching it.
Mike,
Thanks for the clarity ,I think a lot of confusion due to the 619 BT option
needed on the 14 build or no phony, now a standard function for BT

Have a good week
Deacon
Old 09-08-2014, 10:04 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

May I ask about the C63 black that you used to own? I am thinking of adding one as a DD.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by huracan
May I ask about the C63 black that you used to own? I am thinking of adding one as a DD.
Modern german muscle car. So much displacement. Linear torque everywhere. Sloppy on the road because the rear just breaks free in every gear. So much fun. Not confidence inspiring around the twisties, but as showpiece/presence on the road, and straight line speed, sound, etc. Awesome. Highlight was the engine/exhaust note. Parts bin outlaw type car. If you even have to ask MPG, don't bother.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Modern german muscle car. So much displacement. Linear torque everywhere. Sloppy on the road because the rear just breaks free in every gear. So much fun. Not confidence inspiring around the twisties, but as showpiece/presence on the road, and straight line speed, sound, etc. Awesome. Highlight was the engine/exhaust note. Parts bin outlaw type car. If you even have to ask MPG, don't bother.
Thank you very much. Makes you feel very special driving it. Reviews say this has superior suspension to the normal one. Will try to see one in the dealers.

Quick Reply: If I want to play songs off my ipod/iphone, do I need telephone bluetooth module?