Rear Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wroom
The GT3 is a racecar?

My ***. It is a (crappy) daily driver that can be used to burn more money than needed on a racetrack a couple of times per year.

The GT3 Cup and 911 RSR are race cars. I'm not expecting a rear view camera or parking sensors there.

But as I like to keep my cars long, I make 98% of the KMs on public roads and we have tight parking slots where I live I'm NEVER going to buy a Porsche again without any parking aid...

It's a shame because the current 991 GT3 is the best looking one so far and I have the money on the side. I guess I will have to wait till 2018 to buy a GT3 as then rear view cameras become mandatory in America.

Btw: Racecar ROFL

- can not use slicks
- has funky rear wheel steering
- comes with radio, AC, sat-nav, arm rest, 4 or 18 way adjustable alcantara seats (not fireproof)
- comes with silver or red stitching
- metallic paint and PTS custom color options
- cruise control
- smokers package
- LED headlights and clear tail lights (!!!)
- cell phone integration
- CD changer
- painted car key, etc

After owning two 911 I would never have thought I could be interested in Ferrari or McLaren. But they seem to listen to customers and offer options that are request.
+1000
the 'race car' answer is totally non-sensical. the GT3 is the first race car where
one can spec cruise control.
so stupid on porsche's part it is mind blowing.
peter
Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Wroom
5th Gear

Peter: But it seems to be the official pseudo statement from Porsche because I got the same answer in three Porsche dealerships in Switzerland. They however all offered to put some cheap 3rd party 50$ park sensors on the car and charge 1000$ for it. Retrofit looks terrible on such an expensive car. But replacing the front or back bumper will cost quickly 4 figures even with minimal damages.

If I'm quite honest what really appeals to me regarding the GT3 is that it's a multi purpose car in disguise. It offers cruise control, button adjustable dampers, front axle lift, stereo, etc. It even features a huge rear-view blocking device (called wing) so you don't need to see the ugly faces or cars behind you.

It's clearly not just a track or race weapon. It probably is even more at home on the public roads than on the track (otherwise you could dial in more than -2 degree camber without spacers and hardware changes) but still performs really well on track.

Imagine commuting to work with it. The entire day would feel more exciting than if you travel with a Merc S550.

I never managed to go more than 7 times in a year to the track and usually it's below 5 times. Not all that much. I'm not racing and not trying to crash the car. I just like to drive fast on a closed track so I can really feel what the car is capable of without risking my drivers license.

So owning a car just for 5 events per year is nonsensical. But if you can use it to commute or for spirited weekend driving on public roads and enjoy everything the car brings to the table it's a different story.

I just don't understand why Porsche doesn't embrace what the GT3 really is / could be for the different people. Some like to race it, others enjoy it on the track and try to improve their driving or laptimes, some use it in the alps, others want to use it as a daily driver or in the city. And for that many would like a rear view camera or parking sensors. Porsche offers that for EVERY other model they make. They have all the required parts and it would be a minimal effort for them to integrate. I'd pay 1000$ for it and I would be happy.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wroom, I agree with you. I am likely not going to track this car. I have owned several Ferrari's and currently have a 2015 F12. All of them I ordered with the rear parking camera and sensors. Why, you just tap the car and it will cost you. Same with Porsche. Why they won't install at least the rear camera no idea but it was a BS response from Porsche. I thought they offered a custom ordering process? I guess a rear camera would "embarrass Porsche". Ferrari will reject certain paint colors but they have a program, you want it and want to pay for it, we will do it!! Porsche you want to compete with the big boys, understand what they do and provide to customers.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:06 AM
markow
Racer

Peter: But it seems to be the official pseudo statement from Porsche because I got the same answer in three Porsche dealerships in Switzerland. They however all offered to put some cheap 3rd party 50$ park sensors on the car and charge 1000$ for it. Retrofit looks terrible on such an expensive car. But replacing the front or back bumper will cost quickly 4 figures even with minimal damages.

If I'm quite honest what really appeals to me regarding the GT3 is that it's a multi purpose car in disguise. It offers cruise control, button adjustable dampers, front axle lift, stereo, etc. It even features a huge rear-view blocking device (called wing) so you don't need to see the ugly faces or cars behind you.

It's clearly not just a track or race weapon. It probably is even more at home on the public roads than on the track (otherwise you could dial in more than -2 degree camber without spacers and hardware changes) but still performs really well on track.

Imagine commuting to work with it. The entire day would feel more exciting than if you travel with a Merc S550.

I never managed to go more than 7 times in a year to the track and usually it's below 5 times. Not all that much. I'm not racing and not trying to crash the car. I just like to drive fast on a closed track so I can really feel what the car is capable of without risking my drivers license.

So owning a car just for 5 events per year is nonsensical. But if you can use it to commute or for spirited weekend driving on public roads and enjoy everything the car brings to the table it's a different story.

I just don't understand why Porsche doesn't embrace what the GT3 really is / could be for the different people. Some like to race it, others enjoy it on the track and try to improve their driving or laptimes, some use it in the alps, others want to use it as a daily driver or in the city. And for that many would like a rear view camera or parking sensors. Porsche offers that for EVERY other model they make. They have all the required parts and it would be a minimal effort for them to integrate. I'd pay 1000$ for it and I would be happy.
i have an offer from a german company to install the original carrera rearview cam into the GT3 for 1700 euros (full functionality guaranteed, he said that he would get the unblocking code for the camera from the local porsche dealership) and front and rear sensors for 2500 euros (only sound).
porsche's attitude really makes me very upset. i think they do not want to open up the GT3 to a wider audience since they rather sell carreras.
at this point i have almost decided to get a 458speciale, and not bother with those aftermaket issues.
peter
Old 09-11-2014, 04:48 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 572 Posts

The GT3 is a racecar?

My ***. It is a (crappy) daily driver that can be used to burn more money than needed on a racetrack a couple of times per year.

The GT3 Cup and 911 RSR are race cars. I'm not expecting a rear view camera or parking sensors there.

But as I like to keep my cars long, I make 98% of the KMs on public roads and we have tight parking slots where I live I'm NEVER going to buy a Porsche again without any parking aid...

It's a shame because the current 991 GT3 is the best looking one so far and I have the money on the side. I guess I will have to wait till 2018 to buy a GT3 as then rear view cameras become mandatory in America.

Btw: Racecar ROFL

- can not use slicks
- has funky rear wheel steering
- comes with radio, AC, sat-nav, arm rest, 4 or 18 way adjustable alcantara seats (not fireproof)
- comes with silver or red stitching
- metallic paint and PTS custom color options
- cruise control
- smokers package
- LED headlights and clear tail lights (!!!)
- cell phone integration
- CD changer
- painted car key, etc

After owning two 911 I would never have thought I could be interested in Ferrari or McLaren. But they seem to listen to customers and offer options that are request.
Just buy a car that you actually like and stop wasting your time on something you do not get. And I do not mean the "do not get" part as offense - most normal people would not find GT3 optimal. But spending time on making irrational arguments about a car that you clearly do not need/like/want is pointless.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:11 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
For my 2015 build my dealer asked Porsche if they can install the backup camera during production. Answer was no this is a race car. I tried.
If that is indeed a response from PAG, it doesn't hold water. Many of the top racing teams have incorporated a rear camera that is viewable all the time to add driver situational awareness.

In this video Corvette Racing's Tommy Milner has the crew adjust the sensitivity/brightness of the onboard rear view camera.

Ryan
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my view, the response from Porsche is it's continued arrogance and lack of flexibility. Why do they offer personal custimization when all I asked for was a rear camera that is available on 150,000 plus cars they build every year?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

As the 2015 cars are getting delivered, just wondering anyone got anymore updates on installing rear view cameras?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:02 PM
brass4321
Racer

Thank you! I have been wondering if there is now an accepted "best practice" for rear camera install (preferably without voiding PCM warranty).

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
As the 2015 cars are getting delivered, just wondering anyone got anymore updates on installing rear view cameras?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brass4321
Thank you! I have been wondering if there is now an accepted "best practice" for rear camera install (preferably without voiding PCM warranty).
+1
Old 11-26-2014, 03:18 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fore and aft cams for me
would love one on my rally car, too! lateral blindspot cams will be on racecars in the future, especially with halo seats and HANs, mark my words
+1
Old 11-26-2014, 04:49 AM
rosino
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also about to take delivery of mine in London, UK and would look into installing this. Somebody on piston heads had it done. I will find more info and report back but I think the end-game at the moment is :
- third party camera
- non intrusive PCM integration (I.e. Not opened)
- no lines on screen

I disagree on the above that aftermarket sensors will look bad. A good installer can have them match OEM look but the reality is come resale time there will be ppl frowning upon non original items and OPC will altogether ask for a new bumper to be put in place. This is why the camera is so appealing, or for the sensors to be integrated in the black plastic extractor (not sure if possible given shape) that could be easily replaced.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it will be a nav-TV type install. I already broached the topic with my local high end installer out here in Seattle/Bellevue. I have a rear camera in the license plate bracket on my 2007Gt3 I find useful backing into spaces and into the paddock at the track when wearing my HANS. It is integrated in a Kenwood ddx unit that replaced a faulty PCM 2.1 unit.
They believe they can integrate the camera with the OEM PCM unit. My guess cost will be around 1500 + to do this. Mostly labor to snake cable from center console thru engine compartment to back bumper. A good quality install will have a connector at the bumper so if the bumper comes off for exhaust modifications it is an easier job IMO.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:01 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Race car or not, it would be nice to backup without hitting something, and opening your door to look behind you is not the best solution.

I apologize in advance if some info here is duplicated. I called NAV-TV for some info and thought I would share it here. I confirmed that NAV-TV's video integration kit (PCM3.1XG-CAM) will work with our GT3s. It is indeed plug-and-play, but its not necessarily a DIY project. You have to remove the PCM to install the kit and you need to install a backup camera. Once installed, the kit allows any video source to be displayed on the PCM screen, including a backup camera. The PCM recognized the video source enables factory video features on the appropriate menu. You can enable 'backup camera' and 'grid lines.' When the backup camera feature is enabled the camera image is displayed when the car goes in reverse. Any backup camera will work with the integration kit, however, NAV-TV recommends their CAM6, which mounts on underside of the license plate pocket on the rear bumper. It requires holes, but it looks nicer than the bolt-on license plate cameras (IMHO). I asked the gentleman helping me if he would do a group buy for rennlisters and he said "absolutely!" He will put something together that includes the integration kit and the camera and shoot me an email. I will post his proposal as soon as I receive it.

Here is some info on the products.

The integration kit is: PCM3.1XG-CAM (http://www.navtv.com/product/164/pcm...eShowProduct=1)

The camera is: CAM6 Top Mount Super-low Light Backup Camera (http://www.navtv.com/product/185/cam...eShowProduct=1)

There are videos on the web page for the integration kit demonstrating the kit on the Panamera and Cayenne.

Hope this is helpful!
Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

This is helpful. Put me down for the group buy when it happens. Thanks.

jeff

Quick Reply: Rear Camera