Rear Camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
John. Got the PM. Thank you so much.

I was hoping to be able to energize the cam or camera at all the time, through the advertised function "video in motion" to allow the PCM screen to become my rear view mirror while driving (live CAM). Can come in handy during track event, as at times the track is very congested and over the years I had few close calls. Just thought would be a neat feature to have. Mark
Mark, if you go into the PCM menu as shown in the manual, it gives you an option to show the cam on the PCM screen even when moving forward.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
I do not know whether the installer had to get the Porsche dealer down the street to change a setting via PIWIS to recognize the camera, but I suspect they did.
Thanks John, I got the PM. I was going to add a question about how PCM accessed the camera but I see you've suggested an answer.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to all, this thread is very useful for me.
peter
Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Mark, if you go into the PCM menu as shown in the manual, it gives you an option to show the cam on the PCM screen even when moving forward.
Unfortunately, I discovered while trying this out today that this setting only leaves the camera image temporarily if you drive more than a short distance (similar to how long it stays on when you start moving forward after having been backing up).
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 PM
brass4321
Racer

Please keep us posted if you end up installing a backup camera. I have until around Dec 17 to figure out what to use but I'd like to make sure I end up picking something that will deliver a good result (preferably without voiding PCM).
Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, I discovered while trying this out today that this setting only leaves the camera image temporarily if you drive more than a short distance (similar to how long it stays on when you start moving forward after having been backing up).
Thanks John. You have been very helpful. Much appreciated.

Regarding the camera display while driving, I wonder if there is a way around the standard setting, as they advertise on their website they can provide Video In Motion option for all connected video sources which means it is something they can probably do, but you probably have to sign a waiver before they can allow you to have it. When I owned my lotus Evora, I purchased a similar module to allow me to view my backup camera, and I insisted that I want to access the camera at all times, and not only when engaged in reverse, so the installer reluctantly agreed to do it but I had to sign a waiver to limit their liability in case I am in an accident as result of viewing the display while driving and not paying attention to the road. They were concerned once they gave me this option, I would also able to watch any other video on my navigation display such as movie DVDs, while the car is in motion, which is illegal. Of course I was not interested in the latter, but that's why most installer are reluctant to permit this feature. I was just wondering if this feature is possible here as well. I will give them a call next week and inquire if it is possible to do so. Having access to the rear cam at all times can be very helpful in light of the limited visibility due to the massive rear wing. Thanks again John. Mark
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks John. You have been very helpful. Much appreciated.

Regarding the camera display while driving, I wonder if there is a way around the standard setting, as they advertise on their website they can provide Video In Motion option for all connected video sources which means it is something they can probably do, but you probably have to sign a waiver before they can allow you to have it. When I owned my lotus Evora, I purchased a similar module to allow me to view my backup camera, and I insisted that I want to access the camera at all times, and not only when engaged in reverse, so the installer reluctantly agreed to do it but I had to sign a waiver to limit their liability in case I am in an accident as result of viewing the display while driving and not paying attention to the road. They were concerned once they gave me this option, I would also able to watch any other video on my navigation display such as movie DVDs, while the car is in motion, which is illegal. Of course I was not interested in the latter, but that's why most installer are reluctant to permit this feature. I was just wondering if this feature is possible here as well. I will give them a call next week and inquire if it is possible to do so. Having access to the rear cam at all times can be very helpful in light of the limited visibility due to the massive rear wing. Thanks again John. Mark
Hi, Mark. Yes, I would imagine that there is a way to be able to display the camera view on demand, but the Car integrated Systems guy would be the one to say for sure. If you contact him and hear back, please post what he says is possible.

Thanks,
Old 08-24-2014, 01:55 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, Mark. Yes, I would imagine that there is a way to be able to display the camera view on demand, but the Car integrated Systems guy would be the one to say for sure. If you contact him and hear back, please post what he says is possible.

Thanks,
Not a problem. I will update everyone after I speak to them. Mark
Old 08-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, Sam. I used the Nav-TV CAM6 camera.
I don't know how to verify these stats, but they're rather compelling:

http://navtv.com/ppimages/backup_stats.jpg

Does anyone have the specs on the PCM display resolution?
Does it require an analog camera input (blecch...) ?

That NavTV cam 6 is only 450 lines ... state of the art 1970's video sensor ...

https://www.navtv.com/product/185/ca...eShowProduct=1

I'd like a solution that includes an IR emitter, though the idea of a FLIR and HUD seems appealing ... you could detect the brakes overheating on the car in front and make the pass ...

Is there a retrofit HUD for 911's? Just a quick Google didn't reveal any especially compelling products (most seem to be proprietary or custom displays, not just a video projection of whatever signal in some reasonably high def quality.)

I'm thinking an iPad or Android on a hinge to swing down and cover the whole of PCM would be better use of that space ... : )
Old 08-26-2014, 11:20 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had a back-up camera installed on my GT3. It uses a camera module made by Nav-TV, but uses a PCM interface made by a former Nav-TV engineer. This interface does not require any physical modifications to the PCM, i.e., plug and play. It works great, and its functions can be adjusted via a PCM screen with the same options a factory camera has, although the guide lines are fixed as opposed to turning as the steering wheel angle is changed.

The PCM interface is from Car Integration Systems (no affiliation).
John, can you post some pictures of the install? How large/visible is the camera?
Is the viewing angle provided by the camera good enough when reverse parking?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rookie1
John, can you post some pictures of the install? How large/visible is the camera?
I am going out of town today, so it may be a while until I have a chance to post a pic of the camera installed on my GT3. However, it is very similar in size and appearance to the factory installed camera on my 2014 Turbo S. If you will do a search for other backup camera threads here on Rennlist, I believe you should be able to find a photo of the factory camera. The Nav-TV camera on my GT3 is about an inch wide. If you will click on the link in Post 39 of this thread for the Nav-TV website page about the camera, it has some generic photos that will show you the shape of it.

It has a 160 degree filed of view, which is plenty for reverse parking.

By the way, the video system used by the PCM for video inputs is analog (NTSC) which is why the resolution is no greater than the stated 450 lines. The image displayed by the camera on my GT3 is actually slightly sharper than that of the factory camera on my Turbo S.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going out of town today, so it may be a while until I have a chance to post a pic of the camera installed on my GT3. However, it is very similar in size and appearance to the factory installed camera on my 2014 Turbo S. If you will do a search for other backup camera threads here on Rennlist, I believe you should be able to find a photo of the factory camera. The Nav-TV camera on my GT3 is about an inch wide. If you will click on the link in Post 39 of this thread for the Nav-TV website page about the camera, it has some generic photos that will show you the shape of it.

By the way, the video system used by the PCM for video inputs is analog (NTSC) which is why the resolution is no greater than the stated 450 lines. The image displayed by the camera on my GT3 is actually slightly sharper than that of the factory camera on my Turbo S.
Thanks for the quick reply! I know the factory installed on the 991 Turbo, thanks for the comparison.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie1
I have an HD camera and I think it gives a very good resolution.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2014, 05:21 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there anything available for the front?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:23 PM
brass4321
Racer

Anyone know what cameras work with the Car Integrated Systems interface? I ordered a Esky plate bracket with camera today that seemed like a decent value at $40 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GMC8QXI) but what do I know? I'm guessing that I will do a lot of this between now and Jan delivery (LED clear indicators arrived yesterday, Sharkwerks bypass today). Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by brass4321; 08-28-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera