Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trackfan you're cracking me up. So full of it. Strange, from an accomplished racer.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 AM
frayed
Race Car

Over a year ago:

I've enjoyed my time on this forum, but i'll be going now. I came here thinking I could get a manual in the 991 GT3, but it seems like it's a dead end. I have zero interest in the PDK.

I've raced the Corvette since the 60's. I think it's best for me to stay with it. My plan it to buy a fully loaded C7 for a DD, and a stripper Z06, or whatever they plan on calling it for the track. That's still only a little over what the GT3 would cost. Not that I usually think about what i'm spending, but I don't want to spend foolishly either.

So, once again it's been a pleasure being here, and I bid you all a goodbye, and hope you all have happy track days.
It's going to bring a smile to my face to beat the PDK GT3 with a manual C7 on the track.

Progress be damned.

Now i'm gone.
Yet you are still here. How novel.

You have previously stated that you are 70 years old, that you were a former racer, you've taken this year off from racing, and that you've been driving manual cars for 60 years. Strange math. But anyway, I find it strange given your racing experience that you have such concerns about PDK GT3 v. manual C7? Surely there are other things to worry about other than whether one street car is faster than another street car doing DE's or open lapping.

Most racers I know really couldn't give two ****s b/c all these cars mentioned are pretty lame race cars.

Last edited by frayed; 07-28-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I do always love the "goodbye" posts on the Internet forums. It's not like you cant just click on a website and come right back.. So funny in general.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
no its not!

the gt3 0-60 is 3 seconds and 0-100 7.1 seconds.

show me the stock z06 that went 0-60 in 2.9 seconds or 0-100 mph in under 7 seconds.

just read your username. lol.
I don't dispute that the new GT3 is a faster car in a straight line especially from a standing start with all the weight over the rear tires helping it to hook up. Most likely above 130mph the C6 Z06 will either hold or win some of the lost ground against a 991 GT3 but who cares after those speeds anyways.

I thought this is a Porsche fourm where people care more about laptimes instead of straight line speed. I was referring to Nurburgring laptime of 7:22 vs 7.25 for GT3. I believe the same goes for other shorter circuits also but didn't have the time to look it up.

By the way i owned a C6 Z06 and raced lots of different cars through my life. Actually won bunch of sanctioned racing events from Lotus Cup to Radicals to GT cars. So my feedback is purely from experience. My record still stands after 3 years at Reem Track for a stock car with 1:22.6. 2nd fastest was an Viper ACR with a time in the 1:23s and after that 1:25s for a Ferrari Scudaria. Fastest Porsche was a 997.2 GT3RS with time in the 1:26s driven by Michael Verges.

Sorry if my username bothered you, it was created before i bought 2001 Camaro and C5 Vette at those times. I just kept using it across 50 different forums as Im a car enthusiast. I'm actually on this forum because I'm having a hard time choosing between 991 GT3RS and new C7 Z06. I need a weekend track car to get my blood pumping again.

Now after going through my credentials and username and why I'm here, let me shed some light on what makes the C6 Z06 platform quick around a laptime.

What made the Z06 fast believe it or not wasn't sheer straight line speed, it was the way it slowed down and allowed you to trail brake into corners as well as very high level of lateral grip to help your mid corner speeds. The exit speeds were great because of the LS7 TQ as well. The light weight aided by wide sticky tires helped there. Im referring here to the C6 Z06 with Z07 package of course as the early versions had Goodyear run flats and were a nightmare to drive fast.

Not sure about how the added weight will impact the C7 Z06 but if the weight gets to 3500lbs, I think it will suffer compared to the C6 Z06 weight of 3180lbs in at least two areas, braking and mid corner speed.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Guys enjoy your cars. It's a pointless pissing contest that can't be won. If you like the Z06 buy it, and if you like the GT3 buy it. Or buy both(: I used to like Vetts but the damn thing will shake apart, and give you a headache. Watch it being driven on top gear, and you will see my point. However, it's fast. Remember you can make anything go fast, but over speed will hurt you.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want a manual, the only choice is the C7 Z06. I love the looks of it, seen it in person and Red is damn hot. Though if the weight is 3500lbs I'd pass on it for just that reason.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I am not in love with its looks after I have seen it a dozen times but I did forget the "manual" option; which is huge.

If the new Vantage V12 S came with a Manual I would probably have that in my garage right now. Their single clutch I keep on hearing is horrendous. They also must be hurting for sales because you can get a deal on any Aston right now. They need to really catch up with their competition because they are living in the past - not trying to get off topic.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:04 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
TrackFan, I always try to be fair.

The above is the sequence of posts that started this discussion. Clearly, the conversation began with a statement that the C6 Z06 was faster than the 991 GT3. You seemed to be agreeing that mainly's objection to that statement was out of line or were wondering why he would say something like that. If you didn't mean to imply that you agreed with the original post, you can at least understand, I hope, how we may have gotten that impression.

Regardless, I'm not being unfair to anyone. Definitive statements were made by at least two posters that the C6 Z06 was faster than the 991 GT3, in one case "by a good margin". Those statements were incorrect. EOS.
You're right, and I apologize. I missed the fact that he mentioned the C6 Z06. I was thinking the C7 Z06 all this time.

I agree the 991 GT3 is faster than the old Z06.

However, to be fair we have to compare the C7 Z06 to the 991 GT3, and the Vette will come out the winner there. Then again to be really fair we should be comparing the C7 Z06 to the 991 GT3 RS. Even if the Z06 is the winner with that comparison. I believe i'd prefer the RS. Damn PDK and all.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by frayed
Over a year ago:

Yet you are still here. How novel.

You have previously stated that you are 70 years old, that you were a former racer, you've taken this year off from racing, and that you've been driving manual cars for 60 years. Strange math. But anyway, I find it strange given your racing experience that you have such concerns about PDK GT3 v. manual C7? Surely there are other things to worry about other than whether one street car is faster than another street car doing DE's or open lapping.

Most racers I know really couldn't give two ****s b/c all these cars mentioned are pretty lame race cars.
All of that is true. I did leave thinking i'd get a C7, and it made no sense to post on a Porsche forum. I drove the C7, and wasn't impressed. I then got busy with other projects, and thought i'd wait to see what the Z06 was all about. I still haven't given up on the GT3, but when they started to blow up I put that on hold too.

With the GT3 fixed (hopefully) I decided to start posting here again. The Z06 turned out to be more than I thought it would, but I still want to see what the RS will be. So, that's where I am now. I've also been bitten by the vintage racing bug, and i'm looking into that.

btw..The math is fine. I started to drive at 10 years old on a farm. Manual of course.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by jumper5836
If you want a manual, the only choice is the C7 Z06. I love the looks of it, seen it in person and Red is damn hot. Though if the weight is 3500lbs I'd pass on it for just that reason.
Agreed if it comes out around 3500lbs I think I will go with the 991 GT3RS and get me a manual M3 next to it. I would take PDK over 3500lbs that is for sure.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the extra HP will void that extra couple hundred pounds.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More power will only produce better times on certain tracks. If I recall EVO tested the new GT3 against the MP4-12C which has significantly more power as well. The GT3 was just as fast at that track - it may have actually been just slightly faster.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

If you want a manual, the only choice is the C7 Z06.
What about a 997 GT2?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by doubleurx
More power will only produce better times on certain tracks. If I recall EVO tested the new GT3 against the MP4-12C which has significantly more power as well. The GT3 was just as fast at that track - it may have actually been just slightly faster.
Yes that was impressive but the R compound tire on the GT3 made for alot of that speed. R compound tires can shave up to 3 seconds on a 1 min 30 second lap. Still Mclaren should have equipped their cars with good tires.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I don't dispute that the new GT3 is a faster car in a straight line especially from a standing start with all the weight over the rear tires helping it to hook up. Most likely above 130mph the C6 Z06 will either hold or win some of the lost ground against a 991 GT3 but who cares after those speeds anyways.

I thought this is a Porsche fourm where people care more about laptimes instead of straight line speed. I was referring to Nurburgring laptime of 7:22 vs 7.25 for GT3. I believe the same goes for other shorter circuits also but didn't have the time to look it up.
The Porsche also turned in better braking and cornering numbers, but you're right, the C6 Z06 turned a 722.68 versus a 7:25 for an early development 991 GT3 at the Ring. Still, faster is faster, although I don't know if I would call a difference of .5% a "wide margin" as you did in your post.

Anyway, as posted earlier I said that some tracks might favor the Vette and others the GT3. The earlier statements about the C6 Z06 being faster than the 991 GT3 came across as definite, leave-no-doubt comments. I'm simply suggesting that it's not so cut and dried.

Originally Posted by TrackFan
You're right, and I apologize. I missed the fact that he mentioned the C6 Z06. I was thinking the C7 Z06 all this time.

I agree the 991 GT3 is faster than the old Z06.

However, to be fair we have to compare the C7 Z06 to the 991 GT3, and the Vette will come out the winner there. Then again to be really fair we should be comparing the C7 Z06 to the 991 GT3 RS. Even if the Z06 is the winner with that comparison. I believe i'd prefer the RS. Damn PDK and all.
No apology necessary, TrackFan. Just burning up some bandwidth with car talk.

Quick Reply: Anybody Concerned?