Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 as a daily driver? call me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Regarding the dimming mirrors; I have always thought they worked well in my previous (2) Porsches and they work really well in my C2S Loaner. I would not order my GT3 w/o them because it is even lower to the ground and they are important if you like to do some spirited driving at dusk and they do help protect against larger automobiles tailing behind you.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to DD mine as well.

I DD a GTR, and according to autocar GT3 is much more comfortable than the GTR.

My only concern is what to do when it snows...
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM
scb997
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fowwiee
I am planning to DD mine as well.

I DD a GTR, and according to autocar GT3 is much more comfortable than the GTR.

My only concern is what to do when it snows...
I will DD mine, as well. I plan on putting winter tires on it (mid-December through early March) and taking the minivan when there is actual accumulation on the roads.

I think I'm 2-3 weeks away Mine has been in Rhode Island since 2/18...

Scott
Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Sounds possible if I still lived in LA which has the premium weather. Now living on the east coast heck no with all the crazy weather the car will just take a beating. I have a 2013 M5 that slides all over the place in icy weather, and that has been parked for the really cold days. When the GT3 arrives it will be good for some track days, and a fun weekend drive for some me time(: Also the wife likes it so a few long weekend get aways ............really a toy to enjoy, and a long term keeper for me with no desire to sell. I see this car as one of the last NA high horse power cars. Perfect example look at the M cars all turbo .........anyone want to but an M5(: just kidding but good luck as a DD and door dings pending where ya go.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It will be my only car! What else do you need? Ok apart from 4 seats and ability to carry washing machines and sofas every 5 years.

Sent from my mobile using Rennlist
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Sounds possible if I still lived in LA which has the premium weather. Now living on the east coast heck no with all the crazy weather the car will just take a beating. I have a 2013 M5 that slides all over the place in icy weather, and that has been parked for the really cold days. When the GT3 arrives it will be good for some track days, and a fun weekend drive for some me time(: Also the wife likes it so a few long weekend get aways ............really a toy to enjoy, and a long term keeper for me with no desire to sell. I see this car as one of the last NA high horse power cars. Perfect example look at the M cars all turbo .........anyone want to but an M5(: just kidding but good luck as a DD and door dings pending where ya go.
Did you put winters on that car? That would be a pretty nice setup of a car for the winter. Good use of it too
Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 AM
milban
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scb997
I will DD mine, as well. I plan on putting winter tires on it (mid-December through early March) and taking the minivan when there is actual accumulation on the roads.

Scott
Same here, Quadruple Black otw! Considered several others, but fell in love w the GT3. Looking forward to mixing that in with daily travels all year.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by azzurri
Did you put winters on that car? That would be a pretty nice setup of a car for the winter. Good use of it too
No I park them, and use the Escalade in the winter. Just don't like driving the sports cars in all the slush! I'm a LA guy by at heart still(:
Old 07-26-2014, 02:33 PM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
No I park them, and use the Escalade in the winter. Just don't like driving the sports cars in all the slush! I'm a LA guy by at heart still(:
No sweat. Understood--it would be a beast for sure out there kicking up some snow
Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3991
Hi all,

I am very very close to get a 2014 MY GT3. It is getting the engine replacement very soon. It has pretty much all the options except pccb and lift system. ( I plan to let the front lip scrap and replace it occasionally )

1. Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor, I absolutely hate the glare and could this be retrofit? I bet there will be tons of cars tail gating the GT3.

2. Bucket Seats, It is too hardcore for a daily and the back cannot be reclined. Can I throw in Sport Seat Plus and get the wiring hooked up so I can at least get a 4 way adjustment?

3. Roll Cage, Can it be uninstalled/installed easily? I would love to throw in shopping bags, gym bags, groceries, water bottles, etc to the rear when I am just commuting.

4. Seat Belts in Guards Red and Hands free bluetooth, I think sun coast can retrofit these easily.

Base on the reviews I watched from youtube. It seems the new GT3 can be a nice daily driver. I am based in Hong Kong and I would want to enjoy the GT3 everyday rather than garage queen it.

Any inputs would be appreciated!
Let me tell you. I have had many GT3's and RS, and I have never ordered a lift. I let my sales guy talk me into it naming resale value, so I did. Boy, am I glad I did. This car is so low, when they dropped it off, it already had a slight scratch under the front spoiler, and as I was saying how low the car was, they told me " by the way, this car is on the High position right now"! Haha!

This car is so low it allows you to drive up to 40 mph in the High position, and I must say I leave it there 80% of the time around town.

Don't get one without it.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Let me tell you. I have had many GT3's and RS, and I have never ordered a lift. I let my sales guy talk me into it naming resale value, so I did. Boy, am I glad I did. This car is so low, when they dropped it off, it already had a slight scratch under the front spoiler, and as I was saying how low the car was, they told me " by the way, this car is on the High position right now"! Haha! This car is so low it allows you to drive up to 40 mph in the High position, and I must say I leave it there 80% of the time around town. Don't get one without it.
Thanks for the info.

Did they offer to fix the scratch / scrape?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

I almost nixed the option, and I said hell in in the hole 148k can't cry over 3k to regret it later. Live long, and enjoy your toys.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It was underneath the lip so not visible. I knew that it will happen within the first week for me anyway.

PCCB is also important for me as I want to experience this car at its highest performance level.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:05 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Somebody asks (axk in this modern American liberal vernacular ) this question with every edition probably all the way back to the European 996 MKI GT3, through the latest 997.2 version. Now the 991 version. The answer has always been yes if you dont mind shifting in stop N go traffic BUT NOW with 991 two pedal car it should even be MORE of a YES you can DD the car!! The PDK will take away the last hurdle to DD a GT3. BUT if you are going to DD the car get the 18 Way sport seats and forgoe the racing buckets. Unless of course you spend 90% at the track and 10 % driving to work.

JUST DONT AXKS its TOWING CAPACITY!!! PLEASE!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scb997

I think I'm 2-3 weeks away Mine has been in Rhode Island since 2/18...

Scott
It will be my only car too. I live inside manhattan... So I will have to valet park it somemore...

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 as a daily driver? call me crazy