Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket seat vs low weight bucket seats please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
4-way sports seats appear to be 97 lbs from an older post here. If LWBS are 76 lbs, then the weight savings from the base seats to the LWBS would be 21 lbs.
This is in line with what was posted above. The LWB are 38lbs each. The 4 ways are 48+ each and 18 ways are 61 each.
I would guess the folding buckets are almost the same as 4 ways. Maybe a pound or two lighter.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Outside of the comfort Or looks, the LWB make you feel more connected to the car while you're driving. They actually improve sport driving pleasure, which is something I appreciate every time I get in, and transcends comfort or looks.

This is why they are worth it, for the improved experience.
I agree 100% percent, but I suspect you've never had serious back or hip problems.

I would love to have LWB in my car, but its' not worth it to be in serious pain after 2 minutes. I know plenty of people also who prefer the look and connected feeling of LWB, but if you're really uncomfortable, it's not worth it to them or to me.

Really depends on the type back problem though which is why it is so important for anyone considering LWBs to take a ride in someones car with LWBs, as some people with mild back or hip issues, can still get the LWBs and be fairly comfortable driving for a few hours.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-28-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:33 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Talking LWB vs SBS is nothing else but a joke. People praising LWB are only rationalizing their higher spending on them and Porsche is selling them at higher price cause it's their rip off politics. It's fresh option on GT3 so it needs to be more expensive.
Don't sell bs telling that LWB are stiffer then SBS! Did you measure it any way? I am saying it's the other way around and I have never even seen not to mention sit in LWBs. This statement has same value as yours regarding LWB.
Same goes with sitting in them lower! I understand higher as they have heavy electric system to raise them up but no way you can sit any lower than in SBS.

The only way to pick the seat for you is to actually put your **** in them and have a ride around a track. It all comes to the size of your back and how it fits in that particular seat. The rest is subjective.
SBS are foldable so it's a huge advantage over the LWB but that again depends if you need that feature in your GT3.
And don't forget to put on your helmet as that also might make a difference I am not aware of yet.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:03 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have LWBs in the 1.1GT3 and easily added about a 1/2 inch of dense foam in the lumbar region for additional support. The pads are simply velcro'ed in.

I would echo the positive ergonomic and 'connected' praise they receive. I have commuted from SF to LA and back many times in these seats (and the 997.1 OMP carbon cup car seat as another reference point).

However, I do not find the headrest on the LWBs to be raked posteriorly enough to allow a helmet and HANS to fit comfortably with the seat in the lowest position on the electric adjustment.

I have driven a 987 Spyder with the folding LWBs and the padding was uncomfortably thin near the bottom of the seatback and it rubbed my lumbar region. The seat was not damaged in any way.

FWIW, my favorite race seat is the Recaro P 1300 GT and I've gone through my fair share of shells. It has marked rigidity and this imparts the 'connectedness' you are feeling in the LWBs.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Hey guys,

Hope this helps in regards to weight. I was pretty curious to the actual weight difference, and ended up weighing a couple options on our shipping scale (and confirmed on a corner weight scale).

GT3RS/918 LWB Bucket Seat: 38 pounds each
Sparco SPX Seat w/mounting base: 45 pounds each *This is my comparison for a US-available folding-back carbon seat.
Sofa 18-way adj. seat: 61 pounds each

In short, there is a 56 pound weight difference between running the LWB's and the 18-way Sofa's.

-Andrew
a.adams@gmgracing.com
Thanks.

What about the folding bucket seats?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:43 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 928cs
Thanks.

What about the folding bucket seats?
No problem. We don't have the folding bucket seat as an option here in the states, so my closest available data point was the Sparco SPX carbon-backed folding bucket seat.

-Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

I think that you have had them, with the 997 GT2 (and GT2 RS), haven't you?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:45 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes, on the older 997-gen had them as you say. For the US they have never been an oem option on the current 991 batch. Next time there is a set here at the our place, I will absolutely slide a scale under one.

Quick Reply: Bucket seat vs low weight bucket seats please help!