Sponsored by:

enclose trailer , what you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by achenator
What concerns me about seeing all these SUVs towing these enclosed trailers is not whether they can tow it, it's stopping in an emergency and the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. Not enough "***" on these vehicles if the poop hits the fan.
That is the thought int he back of my head, but compared to my diesel Excursion, which would likely have not have been regarded as a towing slouch, everything on the Cayenne is better. Ultimately the tires, suspension, and electronic bits blow away the suspension and tires on the Excursion and simply generate a lot more grip. I have never been nervous towing with my Cayenne, I was in my Excursion. Similarly, the brakes and tire grip for just straight out braking is far superior in the Cayenne. With a properly adjusted brake bias on the trailer, I've never had any panic stops that were of any concern. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying so far the Cayenne has been great. We could all have F450 duallies, but life has compromises.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:48 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by achenator
What concerns me about seeing all these SUVs towing these enclosed trailers is not whether they can tow it, it's stopping in an emergency and the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. Not enough "***" on these vehicles if the poop hits the fan.
Yes and no - ever see cayenne brakes and 3/4 ton brake rotors side by side

Air suspension helps too

Cross winds and big hills 3/4 diesel no brainer

Just means more crap and more $ though
Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Yes and no - ever see cayenne brakes and 3/4 ton brake rotors side by side
Depending on the Cayenne, the Cayenne's are larger right?

My Turbo S: 16.5" diameter front rotors, F450 spec of the same vintage: 14.5"

(I'm not arguing a Cayenne is a better tow vehicle and I'd love the flexibility of a dedicated F450 tow vehicle/suburban assault vehicle...)
Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Depending on the Cayenne, the Cayenne's are larger right?

My Turbo S: 16.5" diameter front rotors, F450 spec of the same vintage: 14.5"

(I'm not arguing a Cayenne is a better tow vehicle and I'd love the flexibility of a dedicated F450 tow vehicle/suburban assault vehicle...)
Make no mistake a big truck is best - but using a big 80k truck 10 times a year just doesn't make sense for me personally

Cayenne is great for everything and workable for towing
Old 10-20-2016, 04:47 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Make no mistake a big truck is best - but using a big 80k truck 10 times a year just doesn't make sense for me personally

Cayenne is great for everything and workable for towing
+1 I'm using the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel and it's my first Chrysler product. 41k miles and not one problem....I'm shocked. Shocked, but pleasantly so.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:48 PM
kshu1991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone has experience using Touareg towing? Basically it's pretty much the same as cayenne, and cheaper?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2015 RAM mega cab diesel. BEAST!😎

These guys are great and have massive inventory! 28 foot and tows awesome.
Before AC, awning generator and winch installed
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

I the OP asked which trailers are the lightest, not for advice on buying a 80K F450 to tow.

There are two that I considered for towing with my X5M.

Aerovault - mentioned here. It's about 2300lbs empty. Very easy to tow given aerodynamic shape. Downsides are that it has very few features (tire rack, escape door, storage, etc).

Trailex 1841 or 84180 - Between 1900 and 2100lbs empty. Has storage, tire rack, escape door (or doors), winch, floor storage. Downside is that the deck is pretty high, so it's easiest to winch on vs. drive on.

Jimglo makes a nice one too, buts it comes in about 3000lbs, and puts you really close to max weight.

The lightweight enclosed options, as others have pointed out, are missing a lot of the flexibility and functionality of a proper enclosed that need a full size or 3/4 ton truck to pull. Options like a generator, A/C, Heat, full height ceiling, beds, couches, bar, work bench, welder, etc. These are things that creep into your track regiment pretty quickly if you have the ability to bring them.

If you just want a covered trailer for a car you feel uncomfortable storing or towing exposed, then the aerovault or Trailex are just fine, albeit quite a bit more expensive than other enclosed options. Your kinda stepping into a religious war on this topic though...
Old 10-22-2016, 11:37 AM
pelo911
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I the OP asked which trailers are the lightest, not for advice on buying a 80K F450 to tow.

There are two that I considered for towing with my X5M.

Aerovault - mentioned here. It's about 2300lbs empty. Very easy to tow given aerodynamic shape. Downsides are that it has very few features (tire rack, escape door, storage, etc).

Trailex 1841 or 84180 - Between 1900 and 2100lbs empty. Has storage, tire rack, escape door (or doors), winch, floor storage. Downside is that the deck is pretty high, so it's easiest to winch on vs. drive on.

Jimglo makes a nice one too, buts it comes in about 3000lbs, and puts you really close to max weight.

The lightweight enclosed options, as others have pointed out, are missing a lot of the flexibility and functionality of a proper enclosed that need a full size or 3/4 ton truck to pull. Options like a generator, A/C, Heat, full height ceiling, beds, couches, bar, work bench, welder, etc. These are things that creep into your track regiment pretty quickly if you have the ability to bring them.

If you just want a covered trailer for a car you feel uncomfortable storing or towing exposed, then the aerovault or Trailex are just fine, albeit quite a bit more expensive than other enclosed options. Your kinda stepping into a religious war on this topic though...
thank you for your reply

at the beginning i wanted open trailer
then my wife suggested that it will be better to get close one
i live in Houston and there isn't nice roads here
and i can't drive to Austin with the car (mileage and trofeo R tires)
then when we spend the night in the Hotel
we can't park the car outside on a open trailer
this car attract too much attention (not like my previous car , 991 GT3)

i think (maybe i'm wrong)
if someone really into track days and do it very often
it's better to get proper race car
and not "track oriented" road legal car.

Quick Reply: enclose trailer , what you guys using?