Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for succinct review OP!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:29 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
If I was into top speed I'll buy a dragster. Yawn. On nearly any track RS will turn faster times with more grip and aero.

Last I checked Porsches don't make dragsters. Never did.
That's a funny post. The RS is a beast and has grip for days!!!
Old 10-13-2016, 01:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

thx for great review.
now who will let me drive their R ;-)
Old 10-13-2016, 03:03 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
thx for great review.
now who will let me drive their R ;-)
John, you certainly can drive mine if I am ever lucky enough to get one . Mark
Old 10-13-2016, 04:33 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Slower lap times than a RS and RS likely quicker on the road too. Seat of the pants different than reality. RS is an RS.
What is your problem with the R?

This car was never intented to be a challenger to the RS, but just a "fun car" to enjoy on the road, and sometimes on a track.

The RS was designed to homologated the RSR and to be a track weapon that can go there by itself.

Different cars for different uses.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:49 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Nothing against the R. I like it. Just sticking to facts not seat of the pants stuff.

Different strokes...
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (03-23-2023)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:29 AM
928cs
Race Car

The RS accelerates faster that is sure, but the PDK will smooth the gearchanges without torque cuts. So the fellings are really different, I agree.
tdmgt3 (09-01-2023)
Old 10-13-2016, 06:44 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BusDriver
The engine is the best part of this car. The 4.0 revs so quickly that you have to rev match upshifts or use the Sport button to do it for you. Otherwise, the engine drops revs too quickly for a smooth upshift.
Just to be sure I understand correctly, you are saying the sportbutton revmatches on UPshifts ?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Just to be sure I understand correctly, you are saying the sportbutton revmatches on UPshifts ?
Yes it does. Same as on the GT4. But only when the Sport button is engaged : if you want to do it yourself just don't press the Sport button.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM
928cs
Race Car

By the way, thank you BusDriver for your impressions and I'm glad to know that at least one R is really driven
Old 10-13-2016, 12:35 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

A few more comments…

Preuninger’s break-in recommendation is 5k rpm limit for the first 1000 km, then add 1k rpm. And every following 500km, add an additional 1k rpm. In the early days, most important to vary the rpm, not lug the engine, and avoid continuous high load operation. Also, as I mentioned earlier, after the first 500km the engine map changes to be a lot more aggressive – an insane bark at startup, and more aggressive throttle blips. At startup and idle, this thing reminds of a racing Ducati V-twin superbike.

The Sport button blips to smooths upshifts as well as downshifts. The only car that revs as quickly as an R with single-mass flywheel, is a Carrera GT. BTW, the GT4 engine has so much inertia that there is no comparison - I have never needed upshift blips in that car. And speaking of comparisons with the Carrera GT, the R sounds better inside and not as good from the outside, but still fantastic.

Compared to a current 991 GT3 RS, this car is a lot more special. Both for what it actually is, and for what it represents.

What it is, is a hot-rodded manual road-oriented version of the RS – lighter, slimmer, rawer, manual gears, light flywheel, etc. And from my experience of owning both cars, the R’s acceleration feels like that of a 550 hp RS. While the RS has the advantage of launch control and immediate gear shifts, the R accelerates noticeably harder within gear.

What it represents is, is what makes the R truly special. For me, the RS is simply the latest in a line of track weapons among which there is significant lineage in the form of every previous RS, and a number of alternatives – regular GT3, Speciale, 675 LT, etc. With the R, there is no previous version or obvious alternatives – if you want a raw hot-rod manual road weapon, there is nothing else even close. The R is almost as exciting as a CGT but a lot more fun without the grim reaper waiting to pounce at any wrong move.

The GT4 is a puppy, the CGT a lion, and the R a thoroughbred.
catdog2 (03-23-2023)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:28 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I have to admit I've never heard of rev matching up shifts...why not just flat shift it then?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
I have to admit I've never heard of rev matching up shifts...why not just flat shift it then?
What it does is preventing the RPMs to drop between upshifts so that you'll always be in the ideal range.
As much as naysayers will jump and say it's just a fake pdk with a clutch,bear in mind that IT CAN be deactivated. The only thing you have to do is leave the Sport button off. There was some misconception in the beginning related to the Sport button : once you press it On,it will run cooler because the DME will operate the thermostat differently. You will observe this behavior while running in Sport mode under normal driving. BUT, the Sport button DOES NOT need to be depressed in order for the DME to command better cooling. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is drive aggressively and you will quickly realize that the coolant temperatures will drop initially more than in Normal driving.
I believe Porsche is going to continue implementing this system in all their cars with a manual transmission. That way,those that were complaining about not being able to concentrate on their line and having to heel/toe while on the track have nothing to complain about anymore.
So there you have it : best of both Worlds. You certainly don't have " best of both Worlds " with pdk.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
So there you have it : best of both Worlds. You certainly don't have " best of both Worlds " with pdk.
Regular manual, Sport manual, and PDK manual are all different worlds, and each offers something enjoyable that the others don't. PDK auto also has its place.

Some people are adamant that either London or Paris is clearly the better city to visit. I say visit and enjoy both, if you can.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:23 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 84 Posts

Impatient to compare with my 997 gt3 RS 4.0

I also have a 991 RS and what I can say is that if the RS 991 is bluffing, the 997 RS 4.0 Gt3 is absolutely stunning and completely visceral. in terms of pleasure, I prefer the 997 GT3 Rs 4.0 even if the RS 991 is really a very efficient car

Quick Reply: 911R Driving Impressions