Sponsored by:

Pete Stout's New Venture - 000 Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts
Default Pete Stout's New Venture - 000 Magazine

Cat's finally out of the bag. Congrats Pete!

http://flatsixes.com/porsche-product...ne-pete-stout/

http://www.000magazine.com/

Now we're just waiting for Leh Keen's next move....
Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

In true Porsche style!
"000 Magazine - a limited-run collectible quarterly print publication"
Old 10-11-2016, 03:54 PM
autoxerGT3RS
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

or the super exclusive $999 subscription........
Old 10-11-2016, 04:08 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must pay to play
Old 10-11-2016, 04:27 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Kind of funny how the 993 thread on this is full of trashing this idea while this crowd feels more receptive.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Oh sweet!

What a coincidence, this morning i woke up and said to myself "i really wish there was a Porsche magazine i could buy for $250 a pop."

My prayers have been answered
HA!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:56 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete stout's work has been top grade. I wish him well on this exciting new magazine!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm sure the publication will speak for itself. From what I see so far, pretty cool.

The good news, you have the choice whether to subscribe or not.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not know the price of ink had gone sky high. Digital version?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Just as I'm super thankful for those who supported this project today, and there are many more who have than I expected or even hoped for, I fully understand the critics. I think I'd still be firmly in their camp if I was on the outside of this, and half of me was as we played through the various models.

To be sure, 000 isn't going to be for everyone—and that's okay. We are not pursuing the usual high-circulation model, nor are we pursuing the conventional ad-driven model in which 50% to 65% of the magazine is paid advertising. The other thing I had to step back on and really look at is value from a different perspective. What do I pay for one performance tire for my Porsche, one concert, or a nice dinner out? How many hours of utility or enjoyment do I derive from those expenditures? Are they fun, lasting, or memory-making?

Obviously, we all place differing valuations on the things we choose to buy or spend money on. That's as it should be.

We just wanted to see if there were some people who might like a magazine the way we envisioned it. Didn't know what to expect, but we decided to try it. Well, it's been a wild day. I wasn't sure whether to expect crickets or what—but we've been blown away by the response and are super, super thankful.

Now it's on us to deliver quality.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

"'Subscription S' Even More Exclusive

The $250 annual subscription buys four soft-cover issues of 000 Magazine with more than 200 pages each, delivered in protective mailers. For customers seeking even greater exclusivity, a ‘Subscription S’ limited to 999 subscribers worldwide is offered at $999. While the interior pages remain the same, each hardcover (that's right, hardcover) Subscription S edition will carry a uniquely individualized subscription number. An exclusive Subscription S slipcase made from premium materials will arrive in time for Christmas each year, and Stout says there are longer term plans for Subscription S customers."
$250 for 800+ pages of top-quality content is high, but not crazy high.

OTOH, the numbered limited-edition 'Subscription S' for $999, for the same content, strikes me as a gimmick to make money which plays on the same emotions as Porsche's limited edition cars. And a magazine isn't a car ...

Pete, I admire and appreciate your journalistic work, so please take this as constructive feedback on your business model. The 'Subscription S' concept may turn some people off to the extent that they don't go for the regular subscription, but otherwise would have.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

The $250 annual subscription buys four soft-cover issues of 000 Magazine with more than 200 pages each, delivered in protective mailers. For customers seeking even greater exclusivity, a ‘Subscription S’ limited to 999 subscribers worldwide is offered at $999. While the interior pages remain the same, each hardcover (that's right, hardcover) Subscription S edition will carry a uniquely individualized subscription number. An exclusive Subscription S slipcase made from premium materials will arrive in time for Christmas each year, and Stout says there are longer term plans for Subscription S customers."

OTOH, the numbered limited-edition 'Subscription S' for $999, for the same content, strikes me as a gimmick to make money which plays on the same emotions as Porsche's limited edition cars. And a magazine isn't a car ...

Pete, I admire and appreciate your journalistic work, so please take this as constructive feedback on your business model. The 'Subscription S' concept may turn some people off to the extent that they don't go for the regular subscription, but otherwise would have.
Taken as such!

This is an art project, but it's also a business. The business (in its entirety) has to support the art, in this case we are talking about an art form that has been severely challenged for a long time but one I feel is important and far from dead. And there are plenty of collectibles that aren't cars...

As with any business, it's on us to deliver value to our customers. They will ultimately decide whether we have.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Only if the X'mas gift is worth the tag. decision decision...
Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I wish you the best of luck Pete.

Take a look at Rodder's Journal for reference. High end, coffee table material, yeah different crowd. They are at the right price volume elasticity...IMO.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

"OTOH, the numbered limited-edition 'Subscription S' for $999, for the same content, strikes me as a gimmick to make money which plays on the same emotions as Porsche's limited edition cars. And a magazine isn't a car ..."

Perhaps offer a GT version for $1,500 where the magazine bindings fail after you read the first 20 pages - sorry couldn't resist.

Quick Reply: Pete Stout's New Venture - 000 Magazine