Sponsored by:

911R Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default 911R Weight Reduction

The purpose of this thread is to consolidate the multiple discussions about reducing the weight of the new 911R that have taken place on Rennlist.

In this regard, there seems to be general agreement that:

1. The goal, consistant with Porsche's heritage, should be the best driver's car possible as a result of, primarily, further weight reduction - a vehicle in which each owner would be happy to be for hours, either alone or with another, and which would cause non-stop smiles about the pure fun of it.

2. In doing this, the purpose will not be to create a Cup Car with a few creature comforts but, instead, a comfortable street car which handles at a level close to a Cup Car, looks reasonably "stock", i.e., does not attract the attention of a race car or a so-called hyper car, i.e., is brilliant but understated, and wherein what is done can generally be reversible.

3. The net profits from what is done will be donated to two or three good causes among which could be: (i) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which a Porsche enthusiast, Paul Newman, founded, (ii) TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) and (iii) a third institution, most possibly in Europe.

Popular Reply

01-31-2020, 11:19 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Induction system and main engine bracket complete.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:55 PM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Listening :-)
Old 03-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

In beginning the effort to reduce weight in the 911R, as certain areas are better than others the following might first be preferable:

1. rear weight;
2. higher up rear weight;
3. unsprung weight;
4. rotating weight;

With this in mind, and given one looses automotive weight ounces at a time, the first step might be the creation of an initial lightweight kit to include:

One-Piece Forged Magnesium Wheels
Lightweight Alternator
Lightweight Starter
DR-25 (M Spec) Wiring Harness
Lightweight Specialty Alloy Rear Axles with 10 Ceramic Ball CVs
Carbon Fiber Retractable Rear Spoiler
Carbon Fiber Induction System
Carbon Fiber Oil Tank
Lightweight Hoses
Aluminum Metal Matrix Composite Engine Pulleys
Wire Electro-Discharge Machined Specialty Alloy Transmission Output Flanges
Titanium Suspension Springs
Carbon Fiber Anti Roll Bars
Full Titanium Exhaust
Titanium Front Hood and Engine Compartment Lid Hinges

Together, these items should reduce weight by 50+kg with some of it rearward, some of it higher up in the rear, some of it rotating and some of it unsprung. Further, other than the wiring harness (always a major source of weight reduction in a "production" car), all of the above is easily reversible and, outwardly, other than the retractable rear spoiler if one chooses not to paint the carbon fiber, will not draw any attention to the car. Additionally, much of the above could be used for the GT3 and the GT3RS.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 03-18-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Then after the initial kit, we could decide to go no further, or, and if it were I, to look at what it would take in terms of engineering, time and cost to reduce the next 50kg, the next 50kg and even the next 50kg after that - or even more, the limiting factors being time and cost and what is possible from an engineering point of view given the base car. Further, if anyone would like, after the kits, if time permits, I would be happy to engage in special projects.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not note that anyone who joins in this should do it for the fun, for the challenge and, most important, to make a very very special car that, again, if it were I, I would want to keep over the long term. One should not, however, do this with any thought that it would enhance the value of the car.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Then after the initial kit, we could decide to go no further, or, and if it were I, to look at what it would take in terms of engineering, time and cost to reduce the next 50kg, the next 50kg and even the next 50kg after that - or even more, the limiting factors being time and cost and what is possible from an engineering point of view given the base car. Further, if anyone would like, after the kits, if time permits, I would be happy to engage in special projects.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not note that anyone who joins in this should do it for the fun, for the challenge and, most important, to make a very very special car that, again, if it were I, I would want to keep over the long term. One should not, however, do this with any thought that it would enhance the value of the car.
Can we, mortal 991GT3 owners, participate to this fantastic project of weight reduction?
after all, we just have a stick and 15kg difference
Old 03-18-2016, 12:55 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Of course, why not? Lightweight cars are a part of the history of Porsche, and of the greatnes of its cars. So anyone can join.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:42 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Robert instead of the retractable spoiler will we lose more weight with a molded ducktail?

Also will we benefit from lighter headlights?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The headlights will make only a minimal difference so I would get whichever ones enable you to see best at night.

As to the ducktail, the aero on the car was, no doubt, calculated with the existing retractable spoiler and, given how good Herr Preuninger and his team are, I would not want to change that. Further, why have drag when you do not need it.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (12-03-2021)
Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about carbon interior door panels?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
How about carbon interior door panels?
How about full CF doors!?
Old 03-18-2016, 11:00 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you mentioned you guys use Mag but I believe Carbon will overtake every technology. That is until
carbon nanotube becomes mainstream.

For those who have not seen it, here is a '14 leno episode on CF wheels. I found the content quite informative.
I found it interesting that the company already had the contract with Ford but did not unveil it at the time this video was made.
As an FYI the price of these wheels were ~$15k in 2014. Current pricing is about half of that. As new competitors surface expect even lower prices.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/04/j...-wheels-video/
Old 03-18-2016, 12:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Lets not miss the fact that if you are redesigning an entirely new wheel that the mags will be exponentially cheaper to do feasibility studies on.

I don't want to be a guinea pig on the 911R carbon wheels.
The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (12-03-2021)
Old 03-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
The purpose of this thread is to consolidate the multiple discussions about reducing the weight of the new 911R that have taken place on Rennlist.

In this regard, there seems to be general agreement that:

1. The goal, consistant with Porsche's heritage, should be the best driver's car possible as a result of, primarily, further weight reduction - a vehicle in which each owner would be happy to be for hours, either alone or with another, and which would cause non-stop smiles about the pure fun of it.

2. In doing this, the purpose will not be to create a Cup Car with a few creature comforts but, instead, a comfortable street car which handles at a level close to a Cup Car, looks reasonably "stock", i.e., does not attract the attention of a race car or a so-called hyper car, i.e., is brilliant but understated, and wherein what is done can generally be reversible.

3. The net profits from what is done will be donated to two or three good causes among which could be: (i) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which a Porsche enthusiast, Paul Newman, founded, (ii) TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) and (iii) a third institution, most possibly in Europe.
Did you get an allocation? Just curious as to the motivation. Given this is a limited production vehicle I see most of these ending up in collections and suspect most (not all) owners will be reluctant to modify given doing so almost always reduces collectability factor.

I think the GT3/RS market is much deeper for these types of mods and as you say most should be applicable.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:14 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Robert instead of the retractable spoiler will we lose more weight with a molded ducktail?
Wasn't much on the search- about 10lbs. lighter but nothing concrete. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8454...r-the-gts.html

"I have my old spoiler pictured above. It has a metal base and motor. The ducktail is just a piece of hollow plastic and lighter."

The best thing I learned was RUF made a ducktail- someone mentioned liking it more. I haven't compared both, but it does look very nice to me and is lighter. (Further research shows that it is rather pricey and replaces other parts - rear qtrs ?etc, which i'd vote against.)

In regards to downforce I think there are some posts about the aero package and the rear downforce etc. If RUF made one & Porsche made one- I'd feel fine putting it on the back. fwiw

http://www.9tro.com/features/tuned-c...e-sky-thinking

Last edited by German_Saint; 03-18-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 911R Weight Reduction