Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:06 AM
carz80am
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've seen the bulletin on the top end repair. PAG wants the rockers removed, inspected and photographed. They'll make the decision on a new top end or engine swap.
This is exactly what my service advisor told me. They had the engine pulled friday, still waiting on follow up but to my understanding they will either replace the top end or the whole motor...
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi CREX. Is this your own car? If so Im sorry. I have anecdotal data only on a few RS engine failures at the track in Europe. However these are not first hand and thus I know nothing of the reason why and it may well be unrelated (one was due to a fire so definitely unrelated). I have not therefore included these as data points....

Just as a point to note the E series engine issues are not "catastrophic". By that I mean it would be a relatively simple procedure to get the engine running again (replacing the rocker levers and cams on the affected bank). Its not like a journal bearing failing on the crankshaft or anything...

I would be very interested if you could update us on the reason for failure when its known. Or feel free to PM me as Im keeping a log of this. The engine would have thrown a code and the tech would have had a procedure to follow. With the "cylinder misfire" code there is a strict protocol the tech must follow before PAG will respond with a replacement engine. Regardless of whether that engine has 900 miles on it or 9000 miles. This makes me think that the issue with the RS you mention was either more catastrophic (we have had a G series engine reported on here with pictures of a rod through the case for example!) or so such a nature that only a visual inspection was necessary to deem it unsalvageable by local warranty repair.

It is my belief that PAG will end up swapping all E series engines with replacements. I say this because I believe something has come to light since the E & F engines were built that points towards a more complex issue than simply defective DLC coating on the rockers. By this I mean the oiling system itself as evidenced by the changes in the G and RS engines. Im fairly certain the learning has been on going right until November last year, much of the last (final?) lessons learnt with the 991 GT3 R race engine in development.

Lastly, its with regret to inform my track buddy over hear with same road and track mileage as myself succumbed to the same failure last weekend. When I told him what had happened to me he was skeptical, when it happened to him at almost identical mileage he was incredulous. A new G series engine is currently being air-freighted from Germany for him. It was again RHS bank. Our E series engines were replaced same time same place after stop sale. He did not have the software update but had just completed 2 years service with plugs....
Macca it wasn't my car--only that I was there when it happened and learned about the replacement afterwards. I will get a better read as I think this affects us all--proof that the G series isn't immune from problems past...

Agree with you on E series. It seems to be just a matter of when, not if.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:35 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

As known engines updates are done either during production
differently than facelifts
so saying F or G means nothing
Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM
farook
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a friend with a Nov '14 car having a new engine - I believe it was a mis-fire issue on cylinders 4&5. I will try and get the engine block letter and any further info on new engine and works to be done - he has been told oil lines, s/ware as well as new engine. It took a week before Germany authorised a new engine.

Macca - the data you are collecting are you posting/sharing it somewhere so that we can all look at it?
Old 02-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Im fairly certain the learning has been on going right until November last year
And I have a Nov 2014 build.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:33 PM
farook
5th Gear

Put it this way - if there is a problem issue and G block is the answer - then sooner rather than later... Might as well get it all sorted before the factory warranty runs out!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by farook
Got a friend with a Nov '14 car having a new engine - I believe it was a mis-fire issue on cylinders 4&5. I will try and get the engine block letter and any further info on new engine and works to be done - he has been told oil lines, s/ware as well as new engine. It took a week before Germany authorised a new engine. Macca - the data you are collecting are you posting/sharing it somewhere so that we can all look at it?
It would be great if you could supply me the data by PM. I now have 16x "first hand" specific examples I'm keeping spread sheeted. Most are posters on RL including Alex above. At this time I don't want to publish the data but will do so when we get a bit more detail around the sample data set. For example I need a few more firm F failures with details on total mileage, track mileage, fault code and remedy before I can draw any conclusion that the F series is yet showing similar failure. I have provided my sheet to a few members on here we all know and trust to eyeball the data. Not opposed to sharing but first we need to get a bit more data then start a dedicated thread. My G series engine finished installation today (hopefully) and will be run up and tested this week. Next week I will be reunited with it and advise any noticeable changes not that I expect any. There are likely a lot of folk not reporting the issue openly, some may have signed NDA, others because they feel it might affect their individual cars resale value. But I suspect 2016 will bring this to a boil particularly as the Northern hemisphere enters summer and these E, F & G cars start seeing more track mileage....
Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 AM
farook
5th Gear

Hi Macca - will pm you data. Maybe in return you can send the file.

It is an F block, 5k miles, 2 days at the ring but not full on and say max 300 miles. No other track days.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Macca - will pm you data. Maybe in return you can send the file. It is an F block, 5k miles, 2 days at the ring but not full on and say max 300 miles. No other track days.
Thanks mate. Send me through your data and ill respond...
Old 02-17-2016, 10:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Macca - will pm you data. Maybe in return you can send the file. It is an F block, 5k miles, 2 days at the ring but not full on and say max 300 miles. No other track days.
pS you will be 18 on the list. I think our first proper F block failure tho I will check my notes. Let me know what country you are from, when the car was delivered new and when it failed. Thanks again
Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

E engine today, misfire cylinder 6.

I had it happen once in March last year, pitting out and stopping/starting car and had been fine until today. 3 times today before I got it to the dealer.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

Sad to see this happening. Glad mine is CPOd. I was going to put on a bypass exhaust, however if my engine takes a dive I don't want any possible excuses for Porsche to deny the claim. Also glad Porsche is standing behind their product.

<TTStyledTextFrame: 0x16e645f0>
Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig

I had it happen once in March last year, pitting out and stopping/starting car and had been fine until today. 3 times today before I got it to the dealer.
Not great, but actually expected now for E -engines. Please keep Macca informed on what happens. Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig

How many miles on the current engine?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We here on RL only represent a small amount of world wide production of these cars. I'd like to know what the real number is, of troubled engines?

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?