Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are US and Eurospec RS engines identical?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Are US and Eurospec RS engines identical?

I was leaving through the little book that comes with the helmet bag and noticed a reference that the engine was designed to be fine with gasoline that contains ethanol.

I have never used ethanol blended fuel in any previous RS, ( In Canada at least Shell makes a premium gas that is completely ethanol-free). I am curious to know if this means that all production RS engines are designed to use ethanol or just those destined for North America.

I am sure that someone here has the answer...
Old 01-09-2016, 06:40 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
I was leaving through the little book that comes with the helmet bag and noticed a reference that the engine was designed to be fine with gasoline that contains ethanol.

I have never used ethanol blended fuel in any previous RS, ( In Canada at least Shell makes a premium gas that is completely ethanol-free). I am curious to know if this means that all production RS engines are designed to use ethanol or just those destined for North America.

I am sure that someone here has the answer...
I wonder if this would also include the GT3? During my cars' first year, I've only used Petro Canada Ultra 94 with absolutely no problems. I have contemplated moving over to the Shell 91 but would like to hear from more owners. Ronan?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have your head in the sand. All fuel in Ontario has ethanol.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ethanol-gasoline

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4197860/

And for your little putt putt sessions to stand around a parking lot does it really matter?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965356
You have your head in the sand. All fuel in Ontario has ethanol.
I was under the impression that all that matters is that the average ethanol content requirement is met across all products and facilities; and that some companies choose to put no ethanol in their highest octane gasoline, for example, and put more in the lower blends. I believe Ronan is correct in that Shell premium is currently ethanol-free, and there are other suppliers that do the same.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I wonder if this would also include the GT3? During my cars' first year, I've only used Petro Canada Ultra 94 with absolutely no problems. I have contemplated moving over to the Shell 91 but would like to hear from more owners. Ronan?

There is no short term problem using any of the normal brands, but my longer term concern was always the effect of ethanol on the engine, and I would say that most of the people who go to the GTG all use Shell 91.
Evidently Porsche was specific about the newer cars so I assume the GT3 is the same as the RS. Its no big deal for me...I live near a Shell station and habitually use it, but it was just a bit of curiosity as to any spec differences between the here and the ROW engines..possibly nothing.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lessthan3mph
I was under the impression that all that matters is that the average ethanol content requirement is met across all products and facilities; and that some companies choose to put no ethanol in their highest octane gasoline, for example, and put more in the lower blends. I believe Ronan is correct in that Shell premium is currently ethanol-free, and there are other suppliers that do the same.

Read the links
Old 01-09-2016, 07:17 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1965356
Read the links
I did, thanks for including them. However, I couldn't find anywhere that indicates that all gas must contain ethanol; instead it speaks about annual averages. From Shell Canada's website (http://www.shell.ca/en/products-serv...power/faq.html, see point #11), the following seems to support Ronan's statement about their premium gasoline:

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned

I did, thanks for including them. However, I couldn't find anywhere that indicates that all gas must contain ethanol; instead it speaks about annual averages. From Shell Canada's website (http://www.shell.ca/en/products-serv...power/faq.html, see point #11), the following seems to support Ronan's statement about their premium gasoline:
Gas companies, suppliers and sellers must include the minimum annual amount of ethanol in gasoline they distribute and/or sell. maintain at least an annual average of 5% ethanol in the gas at all your facilities combined The globe article also states they all add more
Old 01-09-2016, 08:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious lessthan3mph, what fuel do you use and what are your experiences?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Until now, I've exclusively used Shell premium because I was told it was ethanol-free. My brother in TO does the same for his RS for this reason too. But I just learned that the premium fuel at Coop (a BC gas station that we've bought gas at for years for our other cars) is ethanol free (they only use ethanol in their lesser octane mixtures, just like Shell), and they have great prices with an annual dividend paid out to the cooperative owners based on your purchases for the year. I might start using them for the Pcar as it'll save me somewhere in the order of 5-10 cents / L. Not sure if there will be any appreciable performance difference to me for dd use. Gas is expensive out here in BC (lots of taxes), at least compared to ON and AB! We also zip across to Blaine, WA for gas when it's convenient--still cheaper to buy gas in America even with the crummy CDN dollar.

Quick Reply: Are US and Eurospec RS engines identical?