Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it, absolutely love it....
Old 07-26-2015, 03:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,492 Likes on 2,273 Posts

tom, you made the car much prettier than when i had it.
dont be surprised when i buzz you for those houndstooth cushions.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:45 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,205 Likes on 640 Posts

Excellent work! Very classy mod to make the car your own.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Good to know OB Upholstery still does good work. I haven't been to them in decades since I moved out of the area.

I am with you on the Alcantara. Porsche did some great cloths - plaids, pinstripes, 'Porsche' lettering, of course the pascha, the houndstooth - would be cool to see them use variations of these again now that Alcantara is mainstream.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:03 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

These are brilliant additions: tasteful, retro and unique. I'm not a big fan of fussing over the interior and I'm unconcerned about alcantara, but this is a beautiful exception.

BTW, there ain't no gold in Australian merino, all the mark-up comes later...
Old 07-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

This is so interesting to me. I'm noticing most of the "seasoned" gentlemen love this look. My first reaction was a slight heard turn and an out load comment to myself, "Huh..." I love the ingenuity, but my second though was is like orange counter tops and lava lamps? Then I really started thinking. I think it's so amazing the range of "coolness" that is on this forum. I'm so glad I've graduated to a group like this one. Well done sir.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:25 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Omg, I love this. Well done sir. I had a 50th and the seats were something i really enjoyed. That is one great mod you did.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts
Default Pepita inserts for LWB seats

So, did you send him the cushions and he sent them back? Or did he just make covers for you? .. Or do you have to bring/mail him the entire seat? Excellent project by the way.. More may copy you
Old 07-26-2015, 04:01 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, did you send him the cushions and he sent them back? Or did he just make covers for you? .. Or do you have to bring/mail him the entire seat? Excellent project by the way.. More may copy you
yes, and are these a "second set" of inserts? i.e. could you switch out the inserts back to the original Alcantara if you wanted?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
This is so interesting to me. I'm noticing most of the "seasoned" gentlemen love this look. My first reaction was a slight heard turn and an out load comment to myself, "Huh..." I love the ingenuity, but my second though was is like orange counter tops and lava lamps? Then I really started thinking. I think it's so amazing the range of "coolness" that is on this forum. I'm so glad I've graduated to a group like this one. Well done sir.

I am 37 and LOVE the seats. I have been around classic cars my whole life, so I remember being in old 911's with this interior.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm 37 as well. Moreman, get with the program.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very tastefully done, like it alot. I could just imagine what the cost would've been if it was offered through Porsche.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So, did you send him the cushions and he sent them back? Or did he just make covers for you? .. Or do you have to bring/mail him the entire seat?
Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
yes, and are these a "second set" of inserts? i.e. could you switch out the inserts back to the original Alcantara if you wanted?
The inserts in the LWB's are just velcro'd to the seat back and bottom, except for some small white plastic pins in the bottom cushion on the passenger side which are clipped to a thin metal post inset longitudinally in the foam cushion itself. These are just a nuisance and didn't even exist on the driver's side in my car-- I just took them out and didn't reinstall them. They're useless.

All I did was take out the passenger side back and bottom cushions (complete with the Alcantara covers) and took them down to the upholstery shop with my package of fabric and dropped them off. They quickly cut me some temporary 2" foam pieces to replace the back and bottom seat cushions out of scrap they had laying around so my passengers could sit comfortably until the job was done.

The covers are just velcro'd to the cushions as well, so you can remove them from the foam pieces in a couple of minutes. What they did was take off the Alcantara covers and used them as a pattern to fabricate the new houndstooth covers. They made both sides using the one set of cushions as the pattern, and a couple weeks later I went and picked them up. They had to source the little rubber U-shaped piece that wraps under the front lip of the seat, and the double-sided Velcro, which took some of the time.

The passenger side cushions had the new covers on already when I picked them up, and they had bagged up the original Alcantara covers for me. It took me about 5 minutes to install the re-covered inserts on the passenger side, and about 15 minutes to remove the driver's side cushions, take off the Alcantara covers, wrap the new houndstooth covers on the cushions, and install the driver's side inserts. I have the old Alcantara covers together in a plastic bag in the garage now, and if I wanted to put them back on to go back to stock interior, it would take about 10 minutes to do both sides now that I've had some practice at it.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to do something similar. I would add that I also Scotchguarded the houndstooth to protect it from staining, and I think I have enough fabric left over from the 2 sq. meters I bought to do a whole other set when they wear out- It probably only takes one square meter to do these small inserts on the LWBs (as long as no mistakes are made in cutting). I am not prepping my car for the big tracks, but if you have or want 6-point harnesses installed, remember to specify the anti-sub belt holes to be sewn into the bottom seat cushion covers. While you have the passenger side cushion out is also a good time to cut the hole in the CF shell bottom to pass the belt thru also, if you have a US-spec car like mine.

TT
Old 07-27-2015, 12:56 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 515 Posts

A very nice job of making your car more personal. Well done.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very tasteful; beautiful workmanship. If I'd a black interior, I'd do the same to my 996.

Quick Reply: Pepita inserts for LWB seats