Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsold Spyder spied today

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 623 Posts
Default Unsold Spyder spied today

I was at Porsche North Olmsted, deciding on trading my Miata on a base or S Boxster and saw this Spyder without a "SOLD" sign on it. SA said the buyer backed out when he realized it had NO AC. It does have BOSE (and thus the "wart"); the Rhodium looked pretty good in showroom lighting. The stitching looks very nice.
The SA and I put the top down - it's really not bad but my wife is 100% sure I couldn't live with it, so I'm not a buyer.
I told Chad I thought someone on Rennlist might buy it, so make sure you tell him Keadog provided the lead please (no, I won't get anything out of it and no affiliation other than they have been good to deal with for me).
(440)-716-2720 - ask for Chad Lozon, the GM.
Attached Images      
Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The buyer ordered the car and didn't realize he didn't check the A/C box?!

That's actually a nice, low option car.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Maybe dealer ordered with the buyer coming in after the lock?
Or a very inattentive buyer. Odd that it was ordered with the infotainment /bose (and wart) and No A/c. That is an odd combination.

Otherwise Agreed, a nice no frills car.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Maybe dealer ordered with the buyer coming in after the lock?
Or a very inattentive buyer. Odd that it was ordered with the infotainment /bose (and wart) and No A/c. That is an odd combination.
Could be, but I was assuming that all the early allocations were likely spoken for with buyers.

Usually don't mind the wart, but on this car, it's a problem. And the more I look at the aero treatment on this car, front and back, the less I like it. If they had toned it down just a bit and make it a little sleeker, I'd really like this car.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Believe it or not, I think it was a dealer spec i.e., not pre sold. Chad said something about since they sold 6 918s, they had several Spyder allocations, not all of which were pre-sold. They're all gone now, as I asked for one.
If it had AC and a reversing camera, I would have thought long and hard about it. I'm just not hardcore enough to go without the frilly stuff at this point in my life. Even the top would be a stretch, but a 3.8 in a Boxster would be very appealing.
The roof seems to work very well, if not as convenient as pushing a button.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, so it was a dealer spec then. How odd.
Would love to know why they wouldn't at least spec manual ac as no cost option. And infotainment but no backup. It's an early build so it might still go pretty quick.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Wow, so it was a dealer spec then. How odd.
Would love to know why they wouldn't at least spec manual ac as no cost option. And infotainment but no backup. It's an early build so it might still go pretty quick.
I sat in it - I couldn't see anything at all behind me with the top up. The rear window provides a very, very small opening. I wouldn't consider one without a reversing camera. Hell, that's the main reason I traded my '13 Boxster S on the turbo.
Having said that, I think it's quite beautiful and almost sure to be an instant classic, IMO.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Hell, that's the main reason I traded my '13 Boxster S on the turbo.
The main reason you traded a Boxster S in on a Turbo is because of the back-up camera? hahahahahahaha. Now, that right there is funny.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quikag
The main reason you traded a Boxster S in on a Turbo is because of the back-up camera? hahahahahahaha. Now, that right there is funny.
The story is a little longer than that, but the no back up camera on the '13 981S definitely started it all. I loved the car but couldn't see anything backing up with the top up.
I started with going back to another 911 coupe, then C4S, then C4GTS and by then, the MSRP was so high on the car I was building, the turbo wasn't that much more, so "might as well". I like the turbo just fine, but enjoy a roadster when the weather is nice. The Miata has been a wonderful counterpoint to the refinement of the turbo, but I think I want to grab one of the last NA Boxsters.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
The story is a little longer than that, but the no back up camera on the '13 981S definitely started it all. I loved the car but couldn't see anything backing up with the top up.
I started with going back to another 911 coupe, then C4S, then C4GTS and by then, the MSRP was so high on the car I was building, the turbo wasn't that much more, so "might as well". I like the turbo just fine, but enjoy a roadster when the weather is nice. The Miata has been a wonderful counterpoint to the refinement of the turbo, but I think I want to grab one of the last NA Boxsters.
It's all good. I just thought it was funny that you justified a Turbo purchase by starting with a back-up camera. I think Porsche does their model and pricing structure that way......."Honey, it's just $15k more for the GTS....well, now honey, it's just $18k more to get the big dog Turbo. Honey, it's a good deal for sure compared to the GTS."
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,965 Likes on 916 Posts

thanks for confirming that the camera is a must have.. i thought so too after a boxster S drive, and that was with regular seats which allowed some measure of turning your body around to look. with LWB i think it would be positively impossible to turn in the seat and look behind...

i have to say that in rhodium with black interior.. it looks kind of dull. really needs the red interior, and maybe the gt silver. I can't seem to keep my spec under $100k.. worries me when I see cars like this with $91k msrp.. I wonder how far out of the market mine will be optioned?

Keadog.. how is it in real life.. just a mildly different boxster, or does it have any special qualities to it?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
thanks for confirming that the camera is a must have.. i thought so too after a boxster S drive, and that was with regular seats which allowed some measure of turning your body around to look. with LWB i think it would be positively impossible to turn in the seat and look behind...

i have to say that in rhodium with black interior.. it looks kind of dull. really needs the red interior, and maybe the gt silver. I can't seem to keep my spec under $100k.. worries me when I see cars like this with $91k msrp.. I wonder how far out of the market mine will be optioned?

Keadog.. how is it in real life.. just a mildly different boxster, or does it have any special qualities to it?
I'm not a Rhodium fan but I thought it looked good. To me the car looks special - the top, the two humps on the rear deck = terrific. Definitely more than just a tweaked Boxster to my eye. I would be a buyer if it wasn't what it is: no power top, no MFSW and no ventilated seats. I know I want and "need" all of those.
In Rhodium, I think the silver stitching was the right choice.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I like Rhodium as well. It's just a classic Porsche color. I think GT Silver is great as well, in a more flashy way, but the Rhodium is still a great color. I'd take that car off their hands at sticker if my wife wouldn't divorce me.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:12 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Very cool, I ordered Rhodium so I'm happy to see these pictures. Is it at MSRP? Discount?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,068 Posts

No AC but has bose + full leather? WTF schizophrenic build is this?

If you go no ac make it a stripper

Quick Reply: Unsold Spyder spied today