Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Audio upgrade questions....

Need some help here, for planning purposes.

In the process of putting together a 981 order, I went yesterday and listened to the Bose audio....ugh. I expected it to at least be decent, but frankly, I don't know how anyone can take it seriously - and definitely not at the Porsche price. The $200 Kenwood I put in my daughter's minivan sounds a LOT better...and yes, I'm being dead serious. I'm not about to plunk down $6K for the Burmester, so I need a better option.

I assume that I need CDR Plus to get the amp and speaker wiring in place, speaker locations prepped, and USB connection in place, right?

So, I have a few questions.

1) How different is the CDR Plus from the Bose? Has anyone done a back-to-back to give comparison info? The Bose has tremendous response gaps - is the CDR Plus actually worse than that?
2) Do the Bose and Burmester upgrades come with a different head unit, or are they just amp/speaker upgrades?
3) How difficult is it to swap the audio system out in the Cayman S? Any problems integrating with the rest of the electronics? Can the USB and audio ports be connected to an aftermarket unit easily?
4) Any good sources for wiring harness kits, etc.? I've seen kits for the 987, but not the 981.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

there are multiple threads on planet9 discussing audio upgrades and issues

I would attempt to respond but have no knowledge, expertise on subject matter

hate to give you the flip answer but use the search function and you will find a wealth of info over there, including many posts (about 7 years worth) from audio gurus like yourself
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

p.s. my Spyder doesn't even have a radio and my wife reminds of that fact every time she gets in it

"now, tell me why we don't have a radio in this car?"
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by JSF101
there are multiple threads on planet9 discussing audio upgrades and issues
Tried that, but nothing relevant on the 981.

Thanks anyway....
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't think there are any audio systems that are fantastic in a sports car, particularly a roadster. Luxo barges with lots of insulation are probably decent. Spend your money on a sport exhaust for great sound.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

When ordering my Spyder I do remember listening to the Bose and wasn't impressed. The stock setup sounded more natural.

Regardless, Joe's comment on engine and road noise negates much of any sound quality you might actually have. The Caymans hatch places a cover over the engine and the noise ends up in the cabin so you'll need to play your music louder.

While I do like having a radio in my Spyder I find that I use it less and less frequently these days and just enjoy the wail of the engine spinning at 6000 RPM.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Spend your money on a sport exhaust for great sound.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Regardless, Joe's comment on engine and road noise negates much of any sound quality you might actually have. The Caymans hatch places a cover over the engine and the noise ends up in the cabin so you'll need to play your music louder.

While I do like having a radio in my Spyder I find that I use it less and less frequently these days and just enjoy the wail of the engine spinning at 6000 RPM.
I'm a musician, and this will be my daily driver. Decent sound is not something I can live without. Yes, there are days when I turn everything off and just enjoy the drive, but there are also days when I have to use my drive time to listen to material - not negotiable. This is part of the reason a Boxster or Cabriolet is not an option for me.

When ordering my Spyder I do remember listening to the Bose and wasn't impressed. The stock setup sounded more natural.
That's not surpising - honestly, the Bose just isn't good at all.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BOSE.... Better Off with Something Else
Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If sound is important get the Burmester. I know I would be tempted to do the same if I was ordering a new Porsche.

I do believe that each upgrade/option for sound includes a different head unit, amp and speakers.

You can always go with the basic and then go aftermarket if you have a good local shop that you trust. The head unit would likely be the limiting factor if you want to keep it stock. You might check with a local stereo shop to determine your options before you order the car.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

If sound is important get the Burmester.
Burmester is nice. If I could get it without the infotainment junk (i.e, not $6k+), I would. I can do a really good aftermarket system for a lot less than $6K, though....

I do believe that each upgrade/option for sound includes a different head unit, amp and speakers.

You can always go with the basic and then go aftermarket if you have a good local shop that you trust. The head unit would likely be the limiting factor if you want to keep it stock. You might check with a local stereo shop to determine your options before you order the car.
Yeah, if the CDR Plus has a decent basic sound, a couple of amps and some retrofit drivers should do the trick.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO your best bet would be to order the car with no radio at all. Porsches are not known for having any aftermarket compatibility whatsoever. In general you have to rip out the entire system and start from scratch. The new ones might be different, but I doubt it.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by medtech
IMO your best bet would be to order the car with no radio at all. Porsches are not known for having any aftermarket compatibility whatsoever. In general you have to rip out the entire system and start from scratch. The new ones might be different, but I doubt it.
You might be right. My thinking was to potentially use the CDR Plus head unit and speaker wiring (only installed with one of the "upgrade" systems), then just replace the amp and actual drivers. You make a good point, though, that I might be spending $1,700 for $50 worth of speaker wire, a $10 USB connector and $250 in install labor.

I guess I still don't get why Porsche doesn't either put in something decent to begin with or make it easy to retrofit a really good system. A cheap Ford has better options....but it is what it is.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
You might be right. My thinking was to potentially use the CDR Plus head unit and speaker wiring (only installed with one of the "upgrade" systems), then just replace the amp and actual drivers. You make a good point, though, that I might be spending $1,700 for $50 worth of speaker wire, a $10 USB connector and $250 in install labor.

I guess I still don't get why Porsche doesn't either put in something decent to begin with or make it easy to retrofit a really good system. A cheap Ford has better options....but it is what it is.
That may be your best option, assuming the CDR system has not changed.

I would suggest calling your local Porsche service manager and find out who they use for aftermarket stereos. Then call that shop and get a quote. In a porsche, installation of wiring etc could easily be $800-1500.

The only thing a true audiophile could use in the Bose system would be the wiring. I assume Burmeister would be the same.

Good luck.

A
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 PM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Contact Loi at Euro Motorsports and ask him if he has any recommendations or products for the 981.
Sales@euromotorsports.com

I installed one of his aftermarket kits - head unit and can-bus which works with the Bose Amp and speakers in my Cayman 987 and it improved the sound tremendously. The stock system with the stock head unit sounded like garbage.
I'm not affiliated with Euro Motorsports in any way other than a satisfied customer.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Order the Porsche Sport Exhaust. That is the best music one can buy.

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade questions....