Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cayman and Boxster forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best Cayman and Boxster forum

There doesn't seem to be many around - I tried Planet 9 and found it such a negative experience that I asked the "owner" to remove a moderator.

It appears that the owner and moderator may well be one in the same! and to be honest, drive tribe seems far better (and they don't ask for donations)

Thoughts and advice most welcome

(PS I paid to be an "insider" - I only did this once)

Last edited by randr; 02-16-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't like P-9 either. Also had an issue with probably the same moderator. Keep posting to a minimum there, and only read technical threads where I can either help, or benefit from. This is the better forum by far. But unfortunately, there's a lot less traffic than P-9. I'm not aware of any other 981 forums worth following. Never heard of 'drive tribe'. Could you please post the name? That's another thing not permitted over there. I also looked at other popular forums, like 6speedonline, but there's like one post per week on 981s, so not worth checking. Hopefully more folks from P-9 will come here, and have a better community. But if that happens, I'd definitely like to have a separate 981 section as a minimum (even better to have a technical sub-section). It's already annoying reading threads from 987s and 718s when not titled properly, plus all subjects from the 3 generations in just one forum. That might be why there isn't more traffic. Hopefully mods will take notice.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 AM
randr
Banned

Hi JC - thanks for the above - drive tribe is the new interactive platform from Hammond, May and Clarkson - there are many, many Porsche threads and angles.

You can download it as an app or log on - on a desktop/laptop

Its very easy to post pictures and add comments, its also easy to link different threads. The beauty of it is you can interact with Mark Webber and some good reviewers like Jethro Bovingdon and Henry Catchpole.

The final straw for me with the other site was due to a moderator removing a good post from a Potomac PCA member who wrote (for publication) an article on the 718 and 981 - "The three tenors" or "Led Zeppelin" I very much concur with this sentiment, the 718S Cayman is a fantastic drive (I know the four cylinder turbo causes angst) a brilliant sports car in terms of drivability and performance.

Shame, because it highlights the strength of both platforms in a positive way - this clashed with the moderators view and was apparently off topic - (despite the fact it was more on topic than 80% of that particular thread).

I asked for the moderator to be removed from that particular thread by PM and as a thread topic due to breach of guidelines and promptly got banned for two days apparently my post was deemed spam. Made me laugh a lot.

Silly and needless - ah well
Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the 718 vs 981 debate got a bit too much for me. I am an unabashed fan of the 981 but to think Porsche will make a worse car for an all new model is just something I don't ever see happening. The 718 is a very capable platform turbocharged or not!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I stopped posting over in P9 a while ago, also tired of the negativity and the "moderator"
Every time I logged in it was bash the 718 with little else. Meh.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have over 550 posts over there and have enjoyed it...however I have to agree with the OP. The micromanaging of topics reminds me of the crazy type that leads a home owners association. I've tried to push back politely because they will ban immediately if you challenge their 'way'. It was a shock to say the least coming from the 986forum and Pelican, I felt always like a was tip toeing with everything I said.
I will continue to participate there I enjoy it. 6speedonline is pretty good too.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
I stopped posting over in P9 a while ago, also tired of the negativity and the "moderator"
Every time I logged in it was bash the 718 with little else. Meh.
But it's fun to bash the 718!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
But it's fun to bash the 718!

Lololol
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

You know guys, now that the cat is out of the bag, as a new Cayman owner I've been frequenting P9 and yes - it is slighting more serious but there are things I like about it. The 981 P9 forum is REALLY CAYMAN forum vs Rennlist which has morphed more into 981 Spyder Forum, which is great if you own a 981 Spyder. Love it. I may be there soon.

But... the best kept secret is... the Porsche Cayman Club on FaceBook which is REALLY more of a super cool, very active, Cayman forum. Check it out!

https://tinyurl.com/j3dq4vn
Old 02-18-2017, 10:05 PM
randr
Banned

^^^^Thanks Zeus - looks good!

Noah - that cartoon is absolutely brilliant - a little humor goes a long way
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 AM
randr
Banned

This is becoming even more interesting:

1) ban to be lifted on the 18th
2) ban to be lifted on the 20th
3) now - ban to be lifted on the 22nd

As the Master Card adds go "Priceless" - heres a really good tip - if someone asks for a moderator to be removed, perhaps ask why - don't ban them, it looks ahem dodgy.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ hilarious. They must be scared of your posts.

It's like real head in the sand stuff over there and it will probably just get worse as the 718GTS approaches. Next gen flat 4 turbo street car humbles the NA 6 cylinder GT4 anyone? all that attention grabbing and impractically low aero for what? .. that's progress. Way of the world.

I wouldn't take it personally. That GT4-centric forum is just protecting their golden goose- or should I say racing yellow goose.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I think Planet9 will grow out of the 718 bashing phase, at least I hope so, once more 718 owners get on board. It has been a useful forum for many years for 987 and 981 owners (former and current owner myself, respectively). Part of that is because the moderators keep a pretty tight leash on things, overall a good thing IMO.

Not judging your case, randr I don't know about it. But if I remember from your signature on P9, you have both a Cayman and a 911 and another 911 on order, not a 718. I have a Cayman GTS, and I'm probably going to order a 911.2 C4 soon. Yes the 718 is better than the 981in almost every way, and the reviews are coming around to that opinion. But what was always a plus in the Boxster Cayman line was sharing essentially the same engine with the 911. Tough for some of us to stomach the change to 4 cylinders, rational or not.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I used to post on Planet9 but I stopped a couple of years ago after an issue with passwords.

As far as the 718 vs the 981, better is a relative term. It really just depends on what you expect from the car and what you want.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I used to post on Planet9 but I stopped a couple of years ago after an issue with passwords.

As far as the 718 vs the 981, better is a relative term. It really just depends on what you expect from the car and what you want.
Generally, people who talk about which car is "better" are using "better" as a synonym for "faster." The 718s are better than the 981s in exactly the same sense that the high-end Camaros and Mustangs are better than the 981s. They are faster than the 981, and they offer more modern infotainment systems.

In other respects -- meaning, the more subjective areas where terms like "better" or "worse" can't easily be defined -- the 718s are pretty similar to their predecessors. Reasonable people can disagree on whether or not the 718's styling changes are "better." And it's always possible that someone, somewhere has said, "You know, the steering on this 981 really needs to be about 10% quicker. Yeah, that'd be the shiznit."

So, if you've been tempted to trade in your car for something faster, the 718 is worth a look. I know that if my life depended on getting around the Nurburgring as quickly as possible, I'd grab the keys to a 718. However, since that's not a good description of my day-to-day driving needs, I'm OK with the 981 I already have.

(Actually, no, wait, I'd grab the keys to a Z28 or a GT350, or maybe a C7 'Vette. I don't know what would make me grab the keys to a 718.)

Quick Reply: Best Cayman and Boxster forum