Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:47 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for all the feedback. I've never seen such unanimity on a forum. I've still got some interest so tomorrow I'm getting a PPI from TRE in Van Nuys. Does anyone have history with them? Dave told me he would take it for a drive and do a good walk around for $75 to see if it looks like it's worth doing the full inspection. If yes, its a total of $250 including the initial $75.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoupesOnly
Thank you for all the feedback. I've never seen such unanimity on a forum. I've still got some interest so tomorrow I'm getting a PPI from TRE in Van Nuys. Does anyone have history with them? Dave told me he would take it for a drive and do a good walk around for $75 to see if it looks like it's worth doing the full inspection. If yes, its a total of $250 including the initial $75.
Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:38 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
This is correct. Carfax is not the yardstick by which one measures maintenance.
In my area, none of the dealers and none of the independent shops report to Carfax.
Neither of my cars show any maintenance on Carfax whatsoever. But I do have the maintenance paperwork and that is what matters.
True, but what's disconcerting is the fact that there are none whatsoever. Nothing from a dealership about an initial service, warranty work, tire replacement, nothing, not anything at all. Really, in 5 years not a single service center appears until late. That to me is very, very unusual.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
True, but what's disconcerting is the fact that there are none whatsoever. Nothing from a dealership about an initial service, warranty work, tire replacement, nothing, not anything at all. Really, in 5 years not a single service center appears until late. That to me is very, very unusual.
I agree it is disconcerting, and I would do some sleuthing to try to find more maintenance history. If none is ever found, the PPI becomes very crucial.

On this forum we are enthusiasts and we naturally keep records and pass them along with the vehicle to the next owner.
However people who buy and use their cars like appliances typically don't keep such receipts, and unfortunately I think that describes the majority of car owners out there including some Porsche owners.

With the Porsche vehicles in my present or recent ownership, I obtained much of the maintenance info from my local Porsche dealer via their own records as they were the ones who did the much of the maintenance. In two of the three cases they also had some maintenance paperwork from the prior owner and passed that along after redacting the PO's personal info.
If a person can find out what shop(s) performed the maintenance on a previously owned car it is possible to reconstruct much of the missing history.
In the case of the 160K mile car, I would start by trying to find out where it was purchased initially and start inquiring there. I would also check with the local dealer(s) in the area where the PO live, etc.
I understand their is a reluctance for some dealers and shops to give out such info, but sometimes this does work (has worked for me 3 times).
Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

I agree. I've seen it before but its rare. When you factor in that's it's a one owner he knew he was going to be putting big miles on the car and would want it to be reliable. I think it's safe to say it's had some service over the last 5 years and a 160k miles. Anyone that would drive a car like that so many miles and was ready to take the appreciation can afford to do the maintenance. I should know in a few hours what's up. If TRE doesn't think it was given the best care possible then it's over. If they think it was well taken care of and don't find anything beyond a few minor things, I will at least have good information to make a choice.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:58 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Originally Posted by zirrah
Welcome to rennlist. I would want a PPI for that car (and any used car I buy) to see what needs doing, b/c at that mileage there could be a lot of maintenance that hasn't been done yet and is waiting rear its head.
Originally Posted by Spokayman
I agree it is disconcerting, and I would do some sleuthing to try to find more maintenance history. If none is ever found, the PPI becomes very crucial.

On this forum we are enthusiasts and we naturally keep records and pass them along with the vehicle to the next owner.
However people who buy and use their cars like appliances typically don't keep such receipts, and unfortunately I think that describes the majority of car owners out there including some Porsche owners.

With the Porsche vehicles in my present or recent ownership, I obtained much of the maintenance info from my local Porsche dealer via their own records as they were the ones who did the much of the maintenance. In two of the three cases they also had some maintenance paperwork from the prior owner and passed that along after redacting the PO's personal info.
If a person can find out what shop(s) performed the maintenance on a previously owned car it is possible to reconstruct much of the missing history.
In the case of the 160K mile car, I would start by trying to find out where it was purchased initially and start inquiring there. I would also check with the local dealer(s) in the area where the PO live, etc.
I understand their is a reluctance for some dealers and shops to give out such info, but sometimes this does work (has worked for me 3 times).
The Carfax says it was purchased at Beverly Hills Porsche. Anyone that chooses a 2011 Cayman S to drive 160k miles in 5 years is an enthusiast.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:12 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:22 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Here's the report. I was hoping for much more detail. It was done by the owner and they are not your average Porsche repair shop by no means. This tells me that it was well taken care of. But it's still a long shot. I was almost hoping he would find a lot of faults and say don't buy.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:40 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Here's a warranty called Mile Edge I can purchase for $2k that's good for 19k miles or 19 months whichever comes first. It would be for all three levels. It's not the best or worse. Of course it doesn't cover things like nav, sound sys or electronics like the Chrono system. But those warranties cost $5k or more and you can't get them for cars over 50k miles or so. This should give some peice of mind for a massive faliure of the engine or trans and also cover the AC and various other systems.

It's from a big company Warrantech which is a subsidiary of AmTrust Financial Services, a multinational property and casualty holding company that is rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company for their financial strength and stability. An innovative, technology-driven company, AmTrust brings its financial strength to Warrantech, enabling it to offer a unique, bundled approach that includes both underwriting and administration. This creates complete transparency and visibility to information that enables customers to change and create plans that are both highly customized and profitable.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well kiss that water pump goodbye because Porsche coolant has lubricants in it and water does not. This make the PPI very suspect IMHO.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Well kiss that water pump goodbye because Porsche coolant has lubricants in it and water does not. This make the PPI very suspect IMHO.
Straight water and no coolant in the system is very odd and not good at all. Gotta be a story behind that. If run that way for an extended period of time, and there was no anti-corrosion additive used, there could be some corrosion going on in the coolant system.
I would agree that at the least a water pump replacement should be factored into the price.

Given the coolant anomaly and a PPI that was really not extensive, I would probably lean toward the extended warranty.
Regarding the PPI, it may be too late now for this shop but I would have wanted at least a couple of spark plugs pulled and the cylinder bores scoped.
The lack of more detail make me suspect the thoroughness of the PPI as well. Maybe a conversation with the guy who did the PPI might fill out some more detail for you.

Overall though no real smoking guns.
I think you have a few things to bargain with including the ding/dent ($?), lack of coolant and possible needed water pump ($1,500?), and overall lack of maintenance paperwork ($?).
Old 02-23-2016, 11:55 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

I spoke with him and he said the mix was light based on the color of the coolant, not that it was all water. He also said you would think the car had maybe 70k miles and I think that was based on the rock chips in the paint. Otherwise he said the interior looked great and it drove great. He was really at a loss to reconcile the excellent condition with the high miles. He said he would have no concerns about taking the car on a cross country trip as is except the tires will need to be replaced soon. I was a little concerned they didn't pull the covers to get at the engine. When I searched TRE on this section nothing came up. But when I searched it on the air cooled section they were everywhere. These guys do amazing things with Porsche's. So while more detail would be nice, its clear they were impressed with the car and it's maintenance. I still haven't decided how to proceed but if I can get a better price I have to strongly consider making the purchase.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 722 Likes on 392 Posts

Wouldn't go for a car with soo much mileage. Too many ones are avail out there with way lower mileage and probably with a CPO and better condition. I'd run/walk from it quickly. Especially a 2011...that equates to what 40k a year driving. Good god...that is Toyota miles for a p-car. I do believe in driving ones cars but not that much and I think you said as a 2nd owner. And minimal records it seems? no thanks. Its not the only Cayman out there...wait and look and buy a better car!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So nothing on that PPI about the condition of the motor oil, filter, transmission fluid, belts, hoses, CV joints, ball joints, shocks, struts or any other wear item. For me, that is a PPI that is cursory at best and really doesn't provide any useful information other than to tell the condition of the body and interior. Both of which anyone can easily see.

I think it's time to walk away from this one and keep on searching. Here's a quick search on Autotrader for cars within 200 miles of Jacksonville, FL. There are a number of really good cars on that list. Granted they'll cost more but every one of them has dramatically lower miles and many have available service records.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Originally Posted by catamount
So nothing on that PPI about the condition of the motor oil, filter, transmission fluid, belts, hoses, CV joints, ball joints, shocks, struts or any other wear item. For me, that is a PPI that is cursory at best and really doesn't provide any useful information other than to tell the condition of the body and interior. Both of which anyone can easily see.

I think it's time to walk away from this one and keep on searching. Here's a quick search on Autotrader for cars within 200 miles of Jacksonville, FL. There are a number of really good cars on that list. Granted they'll cost more but every one of them has dramatically lower miles and many have available service records.
I really thought I'd get a list of all the items you mentioned with a comment. Is $250 what it would cost for that kind of detailed report? Has anyone else had a PPI on a Cayman where they didn't check the air filter or anything else in the engine compartment do to "access" meaning that they didn't pull the covers to directly access the engine compartment?

Quick Reply: Would you buy a well taken care of Cayman S w/160K