968 Forum 1992-1995

Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:45 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I think I read a while back that not all had the numbers near the valve stem. All the correct info is on the rear though.
Hmm, I never heard that. But if they are on the back then you are good. And you know they won't bend on you.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
Hmm, I never heard that.
+1

Jerry, if they have the 965 362 xxx xx part number on the rear and the Porsche "triangle" then they are OE. If not they are repos

Very nice refinish work
Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by chudson
+1

Jerry, if they have the 965 362 xxx xx part number on the rear and the Porsche "triangle" then they are OE. If not they are repos

Very nice refinish work
Yea I have all that, I've talked to some other members that had original wheels and they also had no numbers by valve stem. Could be they were ALL sanded down at some point though.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Yea I have all that, I've talked to some other members that had original wheels and they also had no numbers by valve stem. Could be they were ALL sanded down at some point though.
Well, I've had probably 15 sets of 968 wheels over the years and they've all had numbers.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Sand wheel smooth.
Fill imperfections with bondo or some automotive filler.
Re-sand smooth
Clean wheel.
Paint with sandable primer.
Wet Sand wheel smooth with 600 grit.
Clean wheel
Paint with Wurth silver wheel paint. Available at Autogeek. Let dry for an hour or 2.
Do not sand silver coat.
Go straight to clear coat. Trick is putting it on thick without it running. Give an hour between coats, do 3-4 coats.
Have good lighting so you can see if the clear is going on smooth. The last clear coat try and lay it on thick, if it looks smooth and wet it will dry that way and you won't have to do any or very little wet sanding and polishing.
The wheels in the pics dried like that with no polishing.
I use Krylon crystal clear uv resistant. Available at Michaels craft store. Works great and dries fast, doesn't run too easily. I used it on my last cup 1 job and it dries hard, especially after a few heat cycles, and it won't yellow over time.
I like to do back side first then tape holes and do front side last.
Take your time, BE PATIENT and attention to detail.
Thanks for the write-up.

You didn’t strip the wheels? I was thinking of using Aircraft Remover to strip the wheel and clean the grim off, then power wash them clean before a light sanding smooth, filler and more sanding. If sanding alone is enough prep I wouldn’t mind skipping the paint remover. I have an etching primer and Wurth Silver wheel paint. I also have Wurth clear coat but have since read some poor reviews and lots of opinions on the various clear coats out there. I think I’ll pick up a couple cans of the Krylon since it has been worked for you.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by mj951
Thanks for the write-up.

You didn’t strip the wheels? I was thinking of using Aircraft Remover to strip the wheel and clean the grim off, then power wash them clean before a light sanding smooth, filler and more sanding. If sanding alone is enough prep I wouldn’t mind skipping the paint remover. I have an etching primer and Wurth Silver wheel paint. I also have Wurth clear coat but have since read some poor reviews and lots of opinions on the various clear coats out there. I think I’ll pick up a couple cans of the Krylon since it has been worked for you.
No all you have to do is just sand them down. You don't even have to go down to the metal. I have used Aircraft remover before and its a nightmare! It leaves big globs of old paint that you then have to scrape off and it will burn the crap out of your skin if you get it on you.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

No all you have to do is just sand them down. You don't even have to go down to the metal. I have used Aircraft remover before and its a nightmare! It leaves big globs of old paint that you then have to scrape off and it will burn the crap out of your skin if you get it on you.
Yes, nasty stuff, used it to strip down my calipers. Glad to hear it's unnecessary for the wheels, thanks again.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Jerry,

Those wheels look great! I also remember your valve cover & injector cover looking like new. Did you use the Wurth paint on the engine stuff? or what did you use on that stuff. I recently had the valve/cam cover bead blasted with the injector cover and they look great but wondered what to put on them to keep them looking great.

On another local board some people recommended spraying with Gibbs Brand??

Bought a couple cans of Gibbs but have not done it yet.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Boeing 717

For the cam cover and injector cover I used VHT silver and VHT clear. The cam cover paint still gets a little soft when hot so I don't know how the VHT is going to hold up over time.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for this, may try it with my old cup II factory rims, that have been painted 2x already. Was going to get them professionally re-done for about 1400 bux, but would be willing to give this a shot for under 100 and my time. Agree patience is the key and being thorough with the sanding and prep.

The Cup I wheels I have now are also ratty, but I can't decide which I like better, the Cup I or Cup IIs! 1st world problems eh?

Sand wheel smooth.
Fill imperfections with bondo or some automotive filler.
Re-sand smooth
Clean wheel.
Paint with sandable primer.
Wet Sand wheel smooth with 600 grit.
Clean wheel
Paint with Wurth silver wheel paint. Available at Autogeek. Let dry for an hour or 2.
Do not sand silver coat.
Go straight to clear coat. Trick is putting it on thick without it running. Give an hour between coats, do 3-4 coats.
Have good lighting so you can see if the clear is going on smooth. The last clear coat try and lay it on thick, if it looks smooth and wet it will dry that way and you won't have to do any or very little wet sanding and polishing.
The wheels in the pics dried like that with no polishing.
I use Krylon crystal clear uv resistant. Available at Michaels craft store. Works great and dries fast, doesn't run too easily. I used it on my last cup 1 job and it dries hard, especially after a few heat cycles, and it won't yellow over time.
I like to do back side first then tape holes and do front side last.
Take your time, BE PATIENT and attention to detail.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:52 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
The wheels look great but I have always had issue with durability with anything out of a rattle can. I use a professional paint gun with a two stage urethane and a catalyst added for finish strength. If I had an oven, I'd cook them after application and they'd be even stronger. IMHO. Are these Porsche wheels or repos?
Did you paint those Jeff? Would you list out what you used for tools? How did you mask the rim from the spokes? Looks good!

Quick Reply: Wheel?