968 Forum 1992-1995

trans or gearbox rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:35 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans or gearbox rattling

Repost: Sorry just moved to Scottsdale from Chicago, and Im having PC internet connection issues. So if you are reading this twice, sorry.

As usual, I really appreciate the responses, you guys are alright! LOL

Its not a heat shield, it feels like multiple pieces of solid steel rattling together, or a coupling of some sorthat t is loose. I will inspect underneath the best I can without ramps. I notice it most when in nuetral, and reverse, or just going slow like pulling in or out of the driveway, intersections, etc., Could also feel like a clutch plate or disc loose but no issues with shifting at all.
The following users liked this post:
slee11 (10-12-2019)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a lightweight flywheel?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:24 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradS(IN)
Repost: Sorry just moved to Scottsdale from Chicago, and Im having PC internet connection issues. So if you are reading this twice, sorry.

As usual, I really appreciate the responses, you guys are alright! LOL

Its not a heat shield, it feels like multiple pieces of solid steel rattling together, or a coupling of some sorthat t is loose. I will inspect underneath the best I can without ramps. I notice it most when in nuetral, and reverse, or just going slow like pulling in or out of the driveway, intersections, etc., Could also feel like a clutch plate or disc loose but no issues with shifting at all.
Maybe raise both back wheels of the ground Secured on Jack stand and start the car. Had to do it to determine my transmission was the issue. About to pull it and put on another. Caught it early while it still worked.
Get the car up and on while securely stable and you will at least know where it is coming from.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Maybe raise both back wheels of the ground Secured on Jack stand and start the car. Had to do it to determine my transmission was the issue. About to pull it and put on another. Caught it early while it still worked.
Get the car up and on while securely stable and you will at least know where it is coming from.
Good idea, I will see what I can do.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:43 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Default narrowing down

Has something to do with free-rolling, mainly forward, and not when the car is in gear. Torque tube?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:57 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a bearing in my torque tube that has gone south. Sounds like a few pieces of gravel rolling around in a can.

Quick Reply: trans or gearbox rattling