964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fluids

I know this is highly contested with lots of opinions, but do these choices make sense?

Engine Oil: Motul X-cess 5W40
Brake/Clutch Fluid: ATE Super Blue DOT 4
Power Steering Fluid: Pentosin CHF 11S
Transaxle: Mobil Delvac 75W90

Thanks!
Matt
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Data sheet has nothing on ZDDP
http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1302646818

This is avialiable just about every where :

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...in_20W-50.aspx

and has enough ZDDP
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I would go Mobil 1 or Brad Penn for motor oil. The rest of your list looks fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

DO NOT use Delvac. It doesn't play nice with the differential (won't allow the clutch plates to slip like they are supposed to). Use Mobil 90 wt LS gear oil.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Mobil 1 = not enough ZDDP

Brad Pen has enough ZDDP BUT is not fully synthetic and you risk cooking the oil on the turbo bearing
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black_Hat

Brad Pen has enough ZDDP BUT is not fully synthetic and you risk cooking the oil on the turbo bearing
Been using Brad Penn for 3 years now and haven't had an issue.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you decided who is going to service your car? Talk to that person to see what they recommend.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad penn does not heighten the risk of oil cooking on the bearing. Who told you that?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mapolus
I know this is highly contested with lots of opinions, but do these choices make sense?

Engine Oil: Motul X-cess 5W40
Brake/Clutch Fluid: ATE Super Blue DOT 4
Power Steering Fluid: Pentosin CHF 11S
Transaxle: Mobil Delvac 75W90

Thanks!
Matt
Brad penn 20w-50 and don't look back. I've been using it for years in my 993 Turbo which sees a lot of track use. Bearings where perfect when I pulled the engine apart last year. Air cooled cars love that green oil.

Delvac has no friction modifiers and the stock diff will be loud. The diff still works fine but the noise is annoying. Stick with stock and use delvav with a newer diff if you ever upgrade.

For brake fluid just use motul 600
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Hey Black, ever read the spec sheet on Mobil 1 Vtwin 20/50?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Using Brad Penn 20W-50 on mine..
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
For brake fluid just use motul 600
+1. Better fluid than ATE and doesn't turn the innards of your brake system blue.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 PM
mapolus
Racer

I am going to change the fluids myself, but was trying to avoid the age-old fight over ZDDPs, esters and PAOs. I understand the basics, but definitely don't get into details like the guys on Bobistheoilguy.

I picked the Motul X-Cess because it was recommended in the latest Excellence magazine as a Group V oil. Well, it was actually the X-Max, but that was a stop-gap oil until X-Cess was reformulated (that is my understanding, but there's a lot of WOMs out there!!). I'm not going to use a Group III oil, so Brad Penn is out if it's not Fully Synthetic (i.e. Group IV and V). Was Mobil VTwin an A40 approved oil? I didn't see it on there.

Seems like no complaints on ATE Super Blue.

Same with Pentosin.

Delvac. Yes, I've read the noisy differential reports. Though, my understanding is that the noise is not actually an indication of wear. Whereas, with too many friction modifiers, the gear synchros can become worn. If that is the case, I'm more worried about the synchros. If the noise is unbearable, I'll add some friction modifier. Again, lots of info out there, so any inputs are appreciated!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mapolus
Delvac. Yes, I've read the noisy differential reports. Though, my understanding is that the noise is not actually an indication of wear. Whereas, with too many friction modifiers, the gear synchros can become worn. If that is the case, I'm more worried about the synchros. If the noise is unbearable, I'll add some friction modifier. Again, lots of info out there, so any inputs are appreciated!
I'm not talking about some noise. I'm talking about a lot of noise and since the clutch packs aren't slipping like they should, handling is affected (loads of understeer). I had Delvac in my transaxle for exactly 24 hours and I couldn't get it out fast enough.
As for adding friction modifier to Delvac, that makes no sense at all. You will end up with Mobil 1 LS anyway, except it will be a poorly formulated version of it.
The G50 transaxle has Dana designed syncos, not the weak Porsche designed ones of the 915 series transaxle.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
mapolus
Racer

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I'm not talking about some noise. I'm talking about a lot of noise and since the clutch packs aren't slipping like they should, handling is affected (loads of understeer). I had Delvac in my transaxle for exactly 24 hours and I couldn't get it out fast enough.
As for adding friction modifier to Delvac, that makes no sense at all. You will end up with Mobil 1 LS anyway, except it will be a poorly formulated version of it.
The G50 transaxle has Dana designed syncos, not the weak Porsche designed ones of the 915 series transaxle.
Paul,

You've convinced me. I wasn't excited about chatter in a diff to begin with, but serious clunking and handling issues? No Thanks. I see they stock the LS at Advance Auto Parts, is there a better place to buy it? It's $10.99/qt there. Seems like after shipping, the online stores are all about the same.

Thanks!
Matt

Quick Reply: Fluids