Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top - #12853 Current Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 04:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I've got an optima yellow top. Perfectly happy with it.

Fwiw. Batteries are not, in general, the quality they once were, in terms of lasting a long time. But when they function, they seem to function better today.

I haven't had an issue w my optima yellow top. Ask me in five more years...lol
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 07:47 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary

Fwiw. Batteries are not, in general, the quality they once were, in terms of lasting a long time. But when they function, they seem to function better today.

I went with a Duralast Platinum EFB model. I had to Google “EFB”….that wasn’t a thing I recall from 5 years ago when I bought my last battery for the 964.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:37 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just replaced my 10 year old Optima Red Top with Oprtima 34/78 SC34U 8004-003... Ordered on eBay as Auto Zone no longer stocks this

No fitment issues
Old 06-22-2022, 02:46 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I wrote this Dec 2021.
It's now June 2022, and my Yellow top will barely start my car. Once it's been driven a bit, it'll start all day long no problem, but at night, i put the car on the tender, the tender reads the battery is fine, lowers the amps on it's own, and then the starting amps are almost zero within a few hours. If I trick the battery, one hour before the morning start, unplug and re-plug the tender, the battery jumps to life.

So - is it a bad optima yellow top that should be replaced under warrantee? or do i risk another and just go to Autozone for a new Platinum...

Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

Or is it a bad tender? Have you tried a different battery tender?
Old 06-22-2022, 02:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Three different tenders - the battery is toast - Though if you look up YouTube vids on bringing these back to life - you can put it in series with a known good battery and then hook the tender and restore it - but is that something anyone really wants to bother messing with?

These battery issues are very frustrating - you'd think someone would come along and just raise the quality back to an acceptable standard. And don't get me started on the lithium garbage - after they dumped a 10,000 gallon water truck on our race car a couple years ago trying to put out the battery fire, i'll never go that route in a street car. Why those are even legal is shocking to me.

The following users liked this post:
No_snivelling (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

Three different tenders - the battery is toast - Though if you look up YouTube vids on bringing these back to life - you can put it in series with a known good battery and then hook the tender and restore it - but is that something anyone really wants to bother messing with?

These battery issues are very frustrating - you'd think someone would come along and just raise the quality back to an acceptable standard. And don't get me started on the lithium garbage - after they dumped a 10,000 gallon water truck on our race car a couple years ago trying to put out the battery fire, i'll never go that route in a street car. Why those are even legal is shocking to me.
Indeed!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...re-sacramento/
Old 06-23-2022, 02:43 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

IF you guys are ever interested in Lithium you can try one of our Antigravity Batteries. The have built-in protections so you cannot damage the batteries by over-discharge, over-charge, short circuiting and much more. The coolest feature is the built-in WIRELESS Jump Starting so you will never be stranded again and you won't even have to access or see the battery if you ever came back to it dead... just press the provided wireless keyfobs start the car and drive away. Last they have a lifespan of 8-10 years and weigh from 6 to 12 pounds for the sizes that work in a 964.... but they are more expensive than a lead acid battery.

On the 964 you can use our Battery called the ATX30, which is a sufficient Amp Hour Powersports battery.... but we also have exact Automotive sizes also.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...-oem/atx30-rs/
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/

Old 06-23-2022, 03:34 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

I've had wild success with generic AGMs. I park my dailies outside and drive them thru 10deg F CT winters. My E30 had a Sears AGM, my 964 has a Napa AGM. Spider sense tells me they're all made in the same place but I got nothin to back that up. Both crank like they're mad as hell. I'm 2yrs into the Napa, believe I had that Sears for 3 when I sold the car. Both at or below $150.

If you are going weight weenie I can endorse Optima equally enthusiastically. I have tiiiny lil PC680 on my Alfa GTV which has a high comp 2 liter and sits for months at a time. Cranks like a banshee and very tolerant of abuse. Many times and I've deep-drained the battery while fiddling with the car. Also very inexpensive believe I paid around $125.

Never used a tender on any of the above.

Last edited by r-mm; 06-23-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top - #12853 Current Replacement