Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa RWB @ Barrett Jackson (no reserve)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Targa RWB @ Barrett Jackson (no reserve)

Will be watching this with interest. Anyone want to guess what it will go for?

Scottsdale 2017
Lot #1333 1991 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 2 TARGA RWB
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...RGA-RWB-200731

Lot #1333 - This 964 Targa RWB is finished in Grand Prix White over black leather interior. It is one of the very first RWB Targa's built for the US. RWB (RAUH-Welt Begriff) combines both European and Japanese tuning to create a very unique style of Porsche. This particular example is real and authentic. Handbuilt by the RWB founder himself, Akira Nakai, in Los Angeles, it is the #2 RWB car. It features the Stage 2 Hakama RWB kit. After installation of the custom equipment, the car was repainted in the OEM color of Grand Prix White. Not only were the aesthetics of this car put together with the highest of standards, but the drivetrain was also refreshed during the build. It's equipped with the 3.6-liter 6-cylinder engine and 5-speed manual transmission. It also has KW V3 coilover suspension, custom-built brushed bronze 18" wheels finished by Floss Designs wrapped in Pirelli P Zero tires. Other features include dual-exit exhaust system, newer interior pieces such as seats, rear door panels and rear deck, as well as a removable black hardtop. It has an $8,000 custom sound and alarm system. The sound system includes a 900-watt, 5-channel JL Audio amplifier, two 10" JL Audio subwoofers mounted behind seats and an Alpine Appleplay touchscreen head unit with Focal speakers. The Computech Drone alarm system has fob and GPS/phone app to track the car's location as well as open the doors. Other interior features include color rearview camera, power windows, power seats, air-conditioning and Porsche floor mats. It recently received a new clutch master cylinder/slave and shift bushings less than 300 miles ago and new brake rotors and pads 2,200 miles ago. It got new air conditioning hoses/belt/recharge as well as valve adjustment/gasket 10,000 miles ago. It's accompanied by a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche Cars North America. Receipts and documentation of the build included with the sale, along with the owner's manual/maintenance schedule and original Window Sticker.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:34 AM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

I dont get it, its just a 964 with a body kit and a stereo, sounds like what kids did in the 90's to their honda civics.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jimonycricket
I dont get it, its just a 964 with a body kit and a stereo, sounds like what kids did in the 90's to their honda civics.
+1
I agree. Devalues the car for me.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:03 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Fortunately the fad seems to be dying off.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

They have been trying to sell that car probably since the day after it was completed (several years ago).

RL user Wilber and some other clowns were trying to build a buzz for dummies back when it was being built, making random threads, asking silly questions, etc., acting like they weren't tied to the car and RWB in North America.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...re-is-rwb.html

I've seen it listed on eBay and other places for dumb askings like $150k and $130k.

I still believe all RWB for sale listings aren't legitimately expecting to sell the car. Instead they function as marketing to convince people on the fence for a conversion to pay the $20-30k to get their cars converted "cause look, after they're converted they list for $150k!"

The math just isn't there unless you don't know a thing about Porsches and you care more about instagram scene points.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, that Wilber guy rubbed me the wrong way when he still posted on rennlist.

You're theory makes a ton of sense actually.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by onceover
Fortunately the fad seems to be dying off.
About time
Old 01-19-2017, 01:54 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watched another of those video the other day. Nakai is claiming about 60 cars per year. Some of his conversion fit the car culture in Japan. but this example here is not good execution. way too many lines. extremely busy.

reminds me of this guy
Old 01-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Poor targa was sacrificed...funny they describe an engine refresh with no specifics but go into detail about the audio and alarm system and its $8K+ pricetag...Ugh
Old 01-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

It will probably fetch $75k. I really have no idea but I've seen a bunch of these RWB's up for sale the past year or so and they don't seem to be selling.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't get on board with RWB. There seem to be a lot of fanboys and videos that praise the high level of craftsmanship and the incredible level of detail, but I don't see it - fiberglass body kit, bolt on fenders, black home depot silicone from a caulk gun, chicken wire, and a weatherstripping front lip. It's just not impressive to me, what someone like Rod Emory does with 356s is truly impressive craftsmanship.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 993 RWB that I built last summer, and a 964 RWB build scheduled for this spring. There isn't a lot of evidence that the pre-owned RWB market is particularly strong. RWBs certainly aren't for everyone, but if the look appeals to you, odds are you'll want to build it yourself and not buy someone else's spec. Several of the RWBs that have been offered for sale (the blue 993, the red 993, and the yellow 930 longhood backdate) have sold...but it definitely takes a while to find a buyer, and the price ends up being only a bit over build cost. Given that the wait to build one is only about 9 months or so, it doesn't make sense to pay way over build cost for a car that someone else built.

I have no idea what this particular car will sell for, but it's certainly not the strongest example of an RWB -- the stock engine, the stock interior, the plain white color, and the messy non-standard side skirts comprise a package that isn't going to appeal to very many people, even those that want an RWB right now. I would guess it goes for $75k-85k + buyers premium. I think you could duplicate this car for $90k-95k with a 9 month wait time.

As someone else said, an RWB is a "fiberglass body kit, bolt on fenders, black home depot silicone from a caulk gun, chicken wire, and a weatherstripping front lip." That statement is completely correct. The quality of the build is entirely up to you -- you select/install the suspension, the engine mods, the wheels, the interior, and the paint. Everything has to be ready before Nakai arrives. But once he arrives, it's showtime -- and it's incredible to watch Nakai assemble your car in your garage in less than 48 hours. Once installed, the fit and finish of the end product is second to none, and if you appreciate a hand-built, stanced widebody, then the end result borders on art. Like I said, RWBs decidedly aren't for everyone, and many people will feel differently. But it's a great illustration of the versatility of the 911 and range of modern enthusiasm for Porsches in general. I feel like RWBs generally get a bad rap based on generalizations; I believe like any other "hot rod" 911, the relative merit of the car lies in the overall quality and attention to detail of the build. And while the RWB community is very small, it's a international collection of Porsche enthusiasts who are exceptionally supportive, accepting, and positive towards the Porsche brand and each other.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not my bag but well said emissary.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by emissary
Once installed, the fit and finish of the end product is second to none.
This is the only part I would put into question to your well written praise of RWB.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 AM
NBoost
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

My complaint/nag whatever you want to call it about most of the RWB builds I see is imo a car sitting on 335mm of rubber should have clownish hp and most of them are not much more than stock. I grew up drooling over the DP and Kremer 930 cars that had hp to match the fenders, wings and tires. If that thing had a Protomotive 4.0 TT twin plug monster it'd be just right imo.

Quick Reply: Targa RWB @ Barrett Jackson (no reserve)