Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport - RetroSeries (user definable active suspension system)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:34 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default DSC Sport - RetroSeries (user definable active suspension system)

I've followed various DCS Tuning threads over on the 997 GT3 forum. TPC Racing have done a phenomenal job with their DSC module; now they have a complete kit for the 964/993!

RetroSeries
964/993 (1989-1998)
http://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#964

An industry first! DSC Sport now offers the first ever user definable active suspension system for Classic Porsche (1989-1998) applications! Experience the same level of track performance and street comfort available in modern sports cars for your favorite European classics. Using additional sensors to gather all of the necessary inputs, DSC Sport will adjust each individual shock in virtually real time to provide the ideal damping values for any situation.

Inputs include:
• G-Force
• Brake Pressure
• Wheel Speed (mph)
• Throttle Position (for carbureted/EFI engines)
How Do We Do It?

Using the same wiring harness provided with our Stand Alone Kit for non-PASM Porsche cars, we wire the car for electronic shocks and their communication with the DSC Sport Stand Alone Controller. Analog sensors including an accelerometer (g-force), brake pressure, wheel speed (mph), and throttle position (for carbureted/EFI engines) are then converted to digital signals for communication with the DSC Sport software.
About DSC Sport

DSC stands for Dynamic Suspension Control. Using an algorithm developed out of years of professional race data, DSC adjusts the damping level of each individual shock in virtually real time. The result is an active suspension setup that provides more grip to the tire, greater stability and ride control, and increased comfort for all driving styles and road conditions.

DSC Sport allows drivers to custom tune their suspension by creating various tuning maps within the DSC Sport Tuning Software. Users may wish to create custom maps for specific tracks or roads, unique rain set ups, or to improve compatibility with other aftermarket products and vehicle setups.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

That's not a lot of information there. Is this discussed more for 964's elsewhere? Do they have pics/video of it installed in a 964 for us to look at? How are the sensors hooked up and their wiring harness install?

Sounds like a pretty cool setup. Any word on cost?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:22 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

No additional info on the 964... (just surprised to see it in the first place)

You can get a good feel for what it is on the 997 GT3 forum. Lots of happy people there.
Mike from TCP (makers of the product) is on active on that forum and might chime in here too...
Old 10-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty cool idea. So who's gonna be first and tell us all what is actually about?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:23 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey all,

We know there's not a lot of info on this right now. It's something we're doing in very low volume for now for a group of customers who showed keen interest. We will be introducing the kit at the SEMA show in a few weeks, hence the addition to the website.

Essentially it utilizes the same technology as the Stand Alone kit. However, obviously these vehicles are pre-CAN, so we have to place some additional sensors around the car and wire that through an analog to digital converter.

We'll be sure to build a thread once we have more to report on!

~Jordan
Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Hey all,

...It's something we're doing in very low volume for now for a group of customers who showed keen interest.

...We'll be sure to build a thread once we have more to report on!

~Jordan
Thanks for the reply Jordan,

I went to the website to learn more about the 997 system, where I was surprised to see 964/993 on the drop down menu! Had to share that discovery with the group here.

Looking forward to the thread, and also thank to the "group of customers who showed keen interest", this is going to be an amazing system on a 964.

These cars just keep getting better!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

That should be an improvement!

#964 getting a #tractive single adjustable #coilover upgrade!
www.facebook.com/TPCRace

Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Matt Farah podcast featuring Joey Seely from Emotion Engineering. At 1:22:40 he talks about putting DSC Sport's Tractive suspension (aka a retrofit of modern magna-ride technology) on a RUF 964.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:32 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Hey all,

We know there's not a lot of info on this right now. It's something we're doing in very low volume for now for a group of customers who showed keen interest. We will be introducing the kit at the SEMA show in a few weeks, hence the addition to the website.

Essentially it utilizes the same technology as the Stand Alone kit. However, obviously these vehicles are pre-CAN, so we have to place some additional sensors around the car and wire that through an analog to digital converter.

We'll be sure to build a thread once we have more to report on!

~Jordan
I think your "very low volume" is going to need to be bigger than you thought as more folks learn about this.

I will be completely redoing my suspension and this kit would be at the top of my list if/when it is available.

Please keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:37 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

If you watch the podcast I posted, pricing is discussed. I believe they say that a total system will set you back as much as 3X the cost of a quality traditional suspension setup.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Somehow, if I were bragging about my first class stuff, I'd clean the car before fitting my expensive setup on it.
Looks half-assed.....

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
That should be an improvement!

www.facebook.com/TPCRace

Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

PASM for the 964. Very neat. But at a suggested retail of ~$10,000 in parts it certainly should be. Hopefully someday the pricetag will come closer to earth. Amazing work all the same.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to drive it back to back just to feel the difference. Cool concept
Old 08-30-2017, 06:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
PASM for the 964. Very neat. But at a suggested retail of ~$10,000 in parts it certainly should be. Hopefully someday the pricetag will come closer to earth. Amazing work all the same.
Thank you!
It is actually more than PASM. The performance of DSC active suspension control technology is superior to the performance of PASM on both street and track. Many 997 GT3/RS, 997 Turbo, 991, and GT4 owners on this forum alone attested to this. The exact price of the 964/993 complete kit is $9,289. While it is not a cheap upgrade, we feel that it is fairly priced for a bolt-on kit to "inject" 30 years of suspension damping strategy and manufacturing advancement into a timeless air-cooled platform. I've been modding cars my entire adult life and often think about certain cars I had, man, I wished I knew then what I know now and have the technology to execute it...this is one of those times! So, for those seeking the comfort and performance for 2017 and beyond, and the software tuneability...the whole package...here we have it.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Tom, would it be possible to add front axle lift or incorporate the Hybrid air lift system?

I have a fairly steep driveway.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - RetroSeries (user definable active suspension system)